• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Outlaw Rear Trailing Arms (Aluminium)

themissingelf

Just wondering if anyone know where I might find FTX Outlaw aluminium rear trailing arms in stock?

My son did a good job of trashing both trailing arms by hooking the rear wheels on a tree full pelt so his car is unusable!

Oops... I cringed at the sound of mine clattering into the wheel of my Doscovery :unsure:  So I take it MS don't have them in stock.. Have you tried directly with FTX? I've had a few parts from them and their processing, sorting, and delivery is quick :good:

Only the plastic ones in stock at MS and FTX :mellow:... That said, I have been debating whether plastic that breaks may be better than aluminium which ensure another of the same type of collision will force something else to break? It was one of those crashes where something had to give way!

Edited by themissingelf

I've always preferred having a breaking point on an RC, like front suspension arms for example.. I'd sooner a cheaper part break than having a more expensive ali component bend/snap as a result of the same impact. I fitted two new rear trailing arms on my Outlaw the other day following the crash, fortunately I didn't break the holding pieces on the chassis for the trailing arms, just the end of the trailing arm's broke free from off the ball joints in the holders. I'd sooner spend a few quid on a pair of those rather than a lot more on an ali pair which might just bend and then be rendered useless. 

One of the reasons I don't much like the option arms for the Outlaw is the integrated ends, there's nothing to give :(

On the Yeti, the arms take normal ends so there's still a break point and its a couple of quid and two minutes work to swap out to a new one if it does break.

Been looking at the option of using 'wraith length' trailing arms on the outlaw but the only ones I can find aren't cheap. Need SSD to make some :)

After the first one I broke (my fault) I ordered some new ones and while waiting for them I bodged/modded the broken one as below. All I did was cut the arm down, filled the cut outs and drilled a 2.5mm hole, screwed in a long M3 bolt, cut off the bolt head and screwed on a Traxxas ball end.

The new one came so I fitted them and broke another one, so I modded it and have been using them ever since, now if it breaks hopefully it'll only need a ball end to repair. Furthermore by adding spacers between the arm and ball end I can adjust the wheel base.

13.jpg

• Like 2