• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

F1 2017

Voicon

Still watch it but in reality been bored of it for years. Wouldn't go out my way to watch a race nowadays. Hopefully brawn and the new era will inject some life back into it but let's face it its all about the money and as far as I am concerned its had its golden era but others will disagree for different reasons. 

Me personally I watched it avidly ten/fifteen years ago for the superb racing, the racers who were in it and the drama, not for the technology. Which is all it seems to be about nowadays. I'm not smart enough to understand it all I just want to see wheel to wheel racing/overtaking by more than Two drivers way out in front of the chasing pack :lol:

Edited by bombercountynick
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, bombercountynick said:

Still watch it but in reality been bored of it for years. Wouldn't go out my way to watch a race nowadays. Hopefully brawn and the new era will inject some life back into it but let's face it its all about the money and as far as I am concerned its had its golden era but others will disagree for different reasons. 

Me personally I watched it avidly ten/fifteen years ago for the superb racing, the racers who were in it and the drama, not for the technology. Which is all it seems to be about nowadays. I'm not smart enough to understand it all I just want to see wheel to wheel racing/overtaking by more than Two drivers way out in front of the chasing pack :lol:

What he said!

Could the new powers that be not look at a BTCC style weight penalty for the top finishers, that always mixes things up? 

Just got to wait and see if it all goes a bit 'superbowl' for my liking, but sadly I think the love affair is over. 

• 1 month later...

Well first day for a race weekend and it looks like Mercedes are still ahead, Hamilton topping both practice sessions, hoping to see ferrari and Red Bull get closer during qualifying and the race. I think Red Bull arent showing their full potential yet.

LH was only 0.1" off the all-time lap record for Melbourne by SV in the blown diffuser 2011 RB - and that was in FP2.

LH got 1' 23.6" at the beginning of FP2, then did 'race simulations'. Fastest Day 1 last year was LH on 1' 28.9" (or was that after FP1 last year?).

Point is, even before the extra second that will go for qualifying, doubtless, they're already over 5" faster!! Need to check last year's Pole time I suppose.

These things are FAST!!

Nice to see FA hanging in there for 12th. Perhaps there's life in the Honda ..... ??

Al.

LH blitzed that previous record.

Strangely Ferrari were faster when it was hotter near midday ... 

Race - are we seeing a weakness of the new changes - overtaking is more difficult? Possibly.

Thing is it's always been difficult for this race.

Why did LH run his fastest Q2 lap on used US tyres? That stuffed him in the race.

Had he run another 2 laps, he wouldn't have had that Max problem, and might possibly have won, 'though the Ferrari was running better / longer at high speed.

Seems like the Mercs might have their old tyre wear issue again? Hope not.

Al.

3 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

overtaking is more difficult?

Some drivers think so. IMHO it will be and racing will be boring, too big gap between teams, too much aero reliance, fewer pit stops. Mercedes have tyre wear issues. Different tracks may produce some better racing but only hope is lots of rain and Max.

Lewis didn't use used tires it was a glitch with the TV system. 

Most the over takes were done by force India and the rest mainly in the pits. I kept falling a sleep throughout the race as it was very dull. Hopefully China will give us a better show seeing that it holds the over taking record other wise this is gonna be a very dull season if the race is won during the pits.

I know some people down like DRS as it's artificial overtaking but would you rather have next to no over taking or loads of artificial ones? Personally I'd pick more overtakes, as long as it's done on the track I don't care how it's done.

Ground effects is the answer - get close, stay close ... active suspension even ... did anyone say blown diffuser??  !!

I know, let's make them sound like proper racing cars - put 3.0 V10's in revving to 20k like they did 12 years ago - sound fantastic!

Sorted!

Al.

It's funny, in the first drivers press confernce when they were asked what Liberty Media could do to help the sport they all said V12's :)

Australia is never a good race, not sure yet but it does look like the Merc's have issue following other cars, if the Ferrari's are really that close it should show when they overtake them.

It does make sense there would be less overtaking, the braking zones are a lot shorter with more down force and better traction so those last minute dives in to a corner are less likely.

Here's hoping.

Oz seems to be a great venue, but never an exciting race .... China should be different.

Drivers are having an issue with having to / being able to brake so late, and the cars so much wider to not risk loss of front wings.

Al.

these engines are here to stay! The engine supplier have invested millions into them and will never change without a good incentive. 

We can't change the physics of these cars but we can limit the power output, maybe when another car gets within 2 seconds of another car the engine output is reduced to make it easier to overtake, the overtaking car will get two laps to break the 2-second barrier. I know it will be fake but I'd rather have fake overtakes than no overtakes

They should have bitten the bullet sooner.

Unfortunately, they're committed this year.

Perhaps they're secretly developing 'the technology' on site for an in-house ... I know this is so advanced it's too far fetched, but Maccas are going to present electric-powered on-road options in the near future, so not that crazy .....

Al.

Eric Boullier was asked in the paddock about their mclaren building their own engine and categorically denied it, although they don't always tell the truth.

There are also rumours they have approached Mercedes to either provide an engine later this year or next season. Honda are their own worst enemy, they should have pulled in external help from engineers already working on hybrid F1 engines it would have saved them so much time, money and a lot of the bad press they are getting.

Giovinazzi will still be in the car for Wehrlein in China, I think Giovinazzi drove well in Australia so I'd be worried if I were Wehrlein.

I don't know if anyone else saw the race of champions where Wehrlein got his injury, it was all his own fault instead of looking at the track he was looking at the other car and hit a barrier.

On 30/03/2017 at 14:38, Voicon said:

Eric Boullier was asked in the paddock about their mclaren building their own engine and categorically denied it, although they don't always tell the truth.

Tell me about it, they were supposed to be getting podiums at the end of last season and wins this season lol

I'm really looking forward to Alonso' s comments this weekend when the Honda battery deployment stops working half way down the straight. :)

10 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Aren't Honda walking - to Sauber?

Not sure now, Bernie gave an interviewing saying he suggested Honda work with them as well as Mclaren but Ron Denis said no, now Ron's out of the picture who knows. I think they need to get themselves in order before branching out to other teams as they appear to be going backwards right now.

Zak Brown said they are committed to honda at present but it is know that Mclaren have approached Mercedes for probably next year if required.

58 minutes ago, Voicon said:

Not sure now, Bernie gave an interviewing saying he suggested Honda work with them as well as Mclaren but Ron Denis said no, now Ron's out of the picture who knows. I think they need to get themselves in order before branching out to other teams as they appear to be going backwards right now.

Zak Brown said they are committed to honda at present but it is know that Mclaren have approached Mercedes for probably next year if required.

Honda have a very old school mythologe, they keep everything in house. If I was Honda I'd have been heavily recruiting mid last year to get a decent engine ready for this season as 3 years on the trot having the worse engine isn't good for your image. All the other engine suppliers have managed to develop a working engine that isn't a million miles off of Mercedes.

Sauber can't afford to be any slower, they might get a few points this year if they're very very lucky but the mid field teams seem very close. I know they're putting a lot of work into their 2018 chassis with the new team owner so i hope that they are good for next season. If they keep Giovinazzi then Ferrari won't want them to use another teams engine as his one of their drives.

Last year's Ferrari engine is still miles better than this Honda engine.

It's just 'not right' that McLaren are performing so badly!

Even Williams are there or there abouts, of the past masters.

Al.