• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

F1 2017

Voicon

7 minutes ago, autobutcher said:

Could be worth a quid in the bookies, one pile up is all it takes at Monaco! 

Might have a fiver e/w on him 

Maybe giovinazzi will be driving again :)

Hamilton did make a mistake, he could have gone faster but you have to do it on the day.

Shame to see ferrari 4 1/2 tenths back but hopefully that is to save the rear tyres during the race tomorrow so it will be closer.

Yeah, it's what you do in that small window that counts but then you have the race to make up for I guess. I was surprised to see the Ferrari half a second adrift. I only clocked the results, didn't get chance to watch it.

Interesting race, I thought Mercedes were going to run away with it but Mr Vettel had it, Lewis was awesome at the end though and if he hadn't been stupid blocking Ricciardo in the pit Lane he could have won it.

Also a shame Verstappen had a brake issue because he looked fast as well.

This is going to be a good year.

It is looking like a good year, agreed.

There is a 'but' ... and that is were you scanning Sky 120 / ITV4?

BTCC is better than ever this year - intervals at full speed were 0.1". not 0.3".

Nudges have to be 'more gentlemanly' and if an unfair advantage is gained from a nudge and departure / overtake, then it has to be given back!

One thing I caught from Pat Symonds, and a few other Googled pages was PERMITTED OIL CONSUMPTION!

1.5 Litres / 100 km was it or 100 miles.

This is as they're lubricating AND BURNING AS A FUEL ADDITIVE / FUEL - helping the apparent fuel consumption!

This is total BS - if my 10-year-old (nearly) consumed remotely that between it's annual services I'd be having kittens !!

Al.

Edited by atom3624

• 2 weeks later...

Russia this weekend, not holding out much hope for an exciting race but you never know Maybe they will surprise us!

On 17/04/2017 at 00:38, atom3624 said:

It is looking like a good year, agreed.

There is a 'but' ... and that is were you scanning Sky 120 / ITV4?

BTCC is better than ever this year - intervals at full speed were 0.1". not 0.3".

Nudges have to be 'more gentlemanly' and if an unfair advantage is gained from a nudge and departure / overtake, then it has to be given back!

One thing I caught from Pat Symonds, and a few other Googled pages was PERMITTED OIL CONSUMPTION!

1.5 Litres / 100 km was it or 100 miles.

This is as they're lubricating AND BURNING AS A FUEL ADDITIVE / FUEL - helping the apparent fuel consumption!

This is total BS - if my 10-year-old (nearly) consumed remotely that between it's annual services I'd be having kittens !!

Al.

The teams try and get away with whatever they can although I'm surprised the FIA didn't pick up on it, not sure they monitor oil consumption as they do with full, it's the McLaren technology sensors the teams have to use and dont know what the completely measure.

I used to have a Renault that went through that much oil but that was a few years ago now   :)

Edited by Voicon

Well. I've decided I'll watch all the track races but will give the street ones a miss. Cars are a bit too wide and will barely get 2 side by side at the likes of Monaco. It'll just be follow the leader.

I was thinking they're becoming massive.

Surely they can get this technology into a '60's-compact' dimension package - that would be nice if they could maintain the safety aspect - give much more room for Shenanigans, sorry, overtaking manoeuvres!!

Al.

Common sense has prevailed again, shark fins \ T wings banned from 2018, stupid ugly things :) 

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/10851565/t-wings-and-shark-fin-engine-covers-to-be-banned-from-f1-in-2018

And ALL teams represented at the strategy group!

Edited by Voicon

15 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Is this (further) advantage Ferrari then?

Al.

Not sure about Ferrari but Red Bull will be happy if you've listened to Christian Horner over the past few races. They will all have time to sort out their aero ready for next year anyway so I don't think it will affect them.

Edited by Voicon

VB did well...

The race was another matter, the worst I have seen in a LONG time, was there an actual overtake? Sky tried to make out it was getting exciting at the end but we all knew it was a lost cause.

I was watching with Spanish commentary - I'm at our office in Mexico for a few weeks.

I thought it was just me trying to catch all the details in Spanish, but I thought it was fast, but ... boring!

Need to be smaller - keep the structural integrity, but make them more compact - pilot accommodation could be difficult - they didn't care 40-50 years ago - only Sir Jackie got them to start waking up!!

Al.

• 4 weeks later...

It's MONACO TIME!!

JB's back as well - reckon he'll have a podium .... doing the interviews probably!!!  :rolleyes:

Sorry, but that IS what McLaren is now, a joke - TERRIBLE!!

One of the sports TOP TEAMS is now one of the nearly teams.

Let's hope JB can take advantage of his experience and the slower track, with the pretty decent chassis they have.

Al.

The fact they are behind sauber says it all, didnt look too good in FP today for them. JB does look like he's enjoying himself though :)

I think Ferrari (Vettel) are going to be hard to beat this weekend.

Ferrari were on it FP1 and FP2.

Curious listening to the Mercedes comments, and those of others saying the 'happy medium' 'sweet spot' is much finer with the latest cars.

Mercs were - not easily - fastest in FP1, then 'they tried something' and went backwards .... and it would take 2 hours to correct so they didn't bother.

I'm not totally convinced. It has been obvious Mercedes have been bringing their 'A Game' all season, including the peripheral gamesmanship - I wonder....

Bring on the weekend.

Al.

• 1 month later...

What a race in Baku, great to see Daniel on the top step again.

And what the hell was Vettel thinking, he made himself look like a complete idiot on and off the track this weekend, I like him normally but talk about a temper then denying he has done anything wrong.