• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

F1 2017

Voicon

3 hours ago, Alex97 said:

Honda have a very old school mythologe, they keep everything in house. If I was Honda I'd have been heavily recruiting mid last year to get a decent engine ready for this season as 3 years on the trot having the worse engine isn't good for your image. All the other engine suppliers have managed to develop a working engine that isn't a million miles off of Mercedes.

Sauber can't afford to be any slower, they might get a few points this year if they're very very lucky but the mid field teams seem very close. I know they're putting a lot of work into their 2018 chassis with the new team owner so i hope that they are good for next season. If they keep Giovinazzi then Ferrari won't want them to use another teams engine as his one of their drives.

Your right but, although as you say this is getting embarrassing for them now, sorry not getting it is totally embarrassing and they need to cut their loses and get on with buying the knowledge.

2 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Last year's Ferrari engine is still miles better than this Honda engine.

It's just 'not right' that McLaren are performing so badly!

Even Williams are there or there abouts, of the past masters.

Al.

I don't think Sauber had much choice in what engine they took this year, they had to make a decision with the funds they had to not redesign the car around the new Ferrari power plant and keep the old one, now they have new backers they can do this for later this year or next season but it's just a case of survival for certain teams at certain times.

• Like 1

Exciting today - NOT!!

Emergency evacuation helicopter could take off from the circuit but could not safely land at the designated hospital 38 miles away, so there was no practice.

Road evacuation not possible - congestion. They needed to negotiate better with the Police, and also consider hospitals closer to the circuit.

I understand there's probably contracts involved and a certain minimum amount of equipment required for the potential 'trauma treatments', but surely in view of the megabucks already spent, kitting out a hospital nearby should be a consideration?

Now Lewis is actually talking sense - 2x practice sessions tomorrow and qualis and race on Sunday - makes sense - if they're permitted.

Same problem persists - there's SMOG of course - we are talking China - the world's favourite factory, and producer of perhaps 80% of the world's goods!!

Al.

I watched most of it on Skype and your right boring!

They have to be able to get to a trauma centre within 20 minutes whether that's helicopter or ambulance, I understand a safety aspect but are the taking this too far?

Looks like tomorrow will be dry but more rain/cloud for Sunday, delaying the race to Monday is also complicated due to Bahrain next weekend so who knows what will happen if the helicopter can't take off Sunday.

As if nobody had heard of SMOG in China - DUHH!!

Didn't they shut down all factories for the duration of the Olympics to minimise any 'bad impression' the airborne pollution might have given?

If it is that critical - and agreed, it is - then they convert the nearest, within 2-5 km range, reasonably sized clinic / hospital into an acceptable standard for them and ensure rapid access to / from it at all times, 'in the event'.

Al.

8 hours ago, atom3624 said:

As if nobody had heard of SMOG in China - DUHH!!

Didn't they shut down all factories for the duration of the Olympics to minimise any 'bad impression' the airborne pollution might have given?

If it is that critical - and agreed, it is - then they convert the nearest, within 2-5 km range, reasonably sized clinic / hospital into an acceptable standard for them and ensure rapid access to / from it at all times, 'in the event'.

Al.

They are moving the equipment required closer hospital so the race can take place tomorrow if the weather is the same as Friday, thankfully common sense has prevailed.

I did state the obvious, but as you say, common sense has prevailed.

EXCELLENT qualifying! LH showing incredible control.

Might get some passing tomorrow - normally get quite a few passes in China.

Al.

Let's hope so, lewis was awesome today, I think he's going to have his hands full with Seb tomorrow though. Looks like this season could be much closer, here's hoping.

Quite an interesting race.

FA had more issues .... !!

DISASTER!!

Brundle has applied an overused term to F1 - ORGANIC!!

'We've seen more organic overtaking in this race' - PLEASE, STOP!!

Al.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, atom3624 said:

Quite an interesting race.

FA had more issues .... !!

DISASTER!!

Brundle has applied an overused term to F1 - ORGANIC!!

'We've seen more organic overtaking in this race' - PLEASE, STOP!!

Al.

I like Martin, but yeah agree with organic overtaking!

It was an ok race, Verstappen was excellent at the start as he always seems to be in wet conditions.

Hamilton had that sewn up though, he had no problem responding to anything Vettel did, still think it's not a 1 horse race this year though.

Quick turn around for Bahrain now so only a few days to go :)

The FIA have been secretly developing a Halo replacement, supposedly based on but smaller than the Red Bull aeroscreen.

https://www.pitpass.com/58730/FIA-has-alternative-to-Halo

I hate the Halo, it's ugly and looks stupid, let's be honest since the Jules accident, which this is to help, the rules on vehicles, marshals and how slow the drivers now have to go negate this in my opinion. 

22 hours ago, Coops said:

If you're going to put a windscreen on and seek to improve driver safety then you might as well drive a tin top?

Exactly, also if you put these screens or halos on the car it's obviously going to make getting out of the car harder, seems as though it's trading one bit of safety for another to me.

31 minutes ago, Voicon said:

Exactly, also if you put these screens or halos on the car it's obviously going to make getting out of the car harder, seems as though it's trading one bit of safety for another to me.

Seems reasonable......... how many times do you see a driver getting out in a rush v's how many instances of drivers being hit by significant debris. I know they're not mutually exclusive problems but......

Do any of the drivers want these extra safety additions? It's been so long since the initial discussions, I only recall comments about restricting view etc.

Its a tricky subject.

On everyones ticket it says motorsport is dangerous, and i think you could easily argue the danger does add to it. IMO its what makes the drivers worth the money they are paid. Sure Hamilton is on 50m a year, but at least he is risking something for the reward

I would think most of the drivers would rather just leave it open cockpit, but not all are probably allowed to express this because the "Teams" have to promote safety

As I said earlier with the rule changes regarding safety car, virtual safety car, yellow flags etc I think we are at a point where the risk is low now, your right these guys get paid millions, where does it stop, do we want 20 drivers sat in the garages remotely driving cars on playstation controllers?

Edited by Voicon

Robo racing is coming!!

I have no intention of watching who coded the best algorithm to get round a track faster than the other circuit boards. Hmm, too much excitement for me!

I don't like the fact that they're trying to stop ANY possible accident in F1. The excitement comes from speed and driver skills and I'm sorry but there will always be an inherent risk involved. The drivers get paid because they're the few that are capable of racing on the edge, I don't think many would have worked so hard to get where they were if F1 was just the safest form of motorsport available.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Rover Man said:

They should turn the clock back to the 70's. Just a driver driving a car. No computer anything. Its Motorsport not whos got the fancy laptop :good:

That would be awesome, at a push they could be allowed to use EFi but no hybrid mctrickery.

With no electronics, power would be reduced to more driver-manageable levels with the addition of better rubber etc, it could very well be workable. 

Random rant - Formula E Fanboost (or whatever it was labelled)........worst............idea.........ever!

Wehrlein will return this weekend, after the mess Giovinazzi made of the car twice last weekend I'm sure Sauber are happier, will save them a fortune :)

Alonso won't race in Monaco next month so he can race at the indianapolis 500 in a McLaren branded Honda car.

Who will replace him? Button is still under contract and although the Mclaren is a donkey it should be OK in Monaco where power isn't that relevant. I'd love to see him in the car again.

It'll be Button for sure in Monaco.

Alonso is clearly bored, fed up with the McL Honda partnership and letting him race the Indy 500 is McL's way of appeasing him. 

• Like 1