• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Losi Rock Rey 1/10 Rock Racer

ostewart

I gather allot of that is because of the dirt and water thrown up into the bearing itself mixed with uneven pressure. I know the YXL one will wear due to that, and the housing itself warping over time. I did read that the baja Rey axle is a little thin but if things pick up, perhaps Vanquish will release a version.

• Like 2

I like this. Would be a tad aprehenseive buying at that price knowing what issues I had with my mini 8ight though. 

I've used my 5th scale once, couple that with the fact I have loads of places to use a rock racer to its full potential, my rapidly growing love for brushless over IC I would be majorly tempted if I was to swap 5th scale for this. 

Edited by bombercountynick

19 hours ago, Noj said:

Perhaps, although the Rey doesn't seem to be a big seller. Quite fancied one, until reading about the bearing issues.....

Dlux Fab have sucessfully modded the housing to fit a bigger bearing, so shouldn't cause as many issues, only problem is they are based in the USA, but I'm sure someone here in the UK could do it with a bench drill/CNC machine, quote from somewhere else:

"I sent this off to Erik a few weeks ago to see if he could find a way to install a larger inboard pinion bearing in it, and he did! It has a 5x13 bearing now instead of the stock 5x10 bearing. That should hold up much, much better.

Unfortunately he couldn't figure out how to enlarge the inboard pinion bearing slot in the front diff case, but it's the rear axle that really needs help, so I'm happy."

DSC01898.jpg

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, ostewart said:

Dlux Fab have sucessfully modded the housing to fit a bigger bearing, so shouldn't cause as many issues, only problem is they are based in the USA, but I'm sure someone here in the UK could do it with a bench drill/CNC machine, quote from somewhere else:

"I sent this off to Erik a few weeks ago to see if he could find a way to install a larger inboard pinion bearing in it, and he did! It has a 5x13 bearing now instead of the stock 5x10 bearing. That should hold up much, much better.

Unfortunately he couldn't figure out how to enlarge the inboard pinion bearing slot in the front diff case, but it's the rear axle that really needs help, so I'm happy."

Don't you just love ingenuity? ^_^

7 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

Most definitely won't be getting rid of the Yeti to buy that :lol:

I have read about the Losi having lower COG (this is the baja rey vs yeti score), meaning better handling, and it doesn't kick up the rear as much as the yeti. But this is all hearsay and I do not own both, saying that I would probably get the Losi over the Axial if I had the money, aluminium chassis too, only thing is the annoying battery tray but not a difficult fix.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ostewart said:

I have read about the Losi having lower COG (this is the baja rey vs yeti score), meaning better handling, and it doesn't kick up the rear as much as the yeti. But this is all hearsay and I do not own both, saying that I would probably get the Losi over the Axial if I had the money, aluminium chassis too, only thing is the annoying battery tray but not a difficult fix.

My comment wasn't directed at you :)

I just don't like the look of it and I like my Yeti, so it would be totally backwards to get rid of an RC I enjoy, to purchase one that 'maybe' just as good lol.

Can't see it being as good fun as a Yeti myself, but I'll await some proper reviews.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

My comment wasn't directed at you :)

I just don't like the look of it and I like my Yeti, so it would be totally backwards to get rid of an RC I enjoy, to purchase one that 'maybe' just as good lol.

Can't see it being as good fun as a Yeti myself, but I'll await some proper reviews.

I'll let you know what it's like when mine gets here :) 

I reckon your right though it won't be as good as the Yeti it will be !!! BETTER !!!  :P:D

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mydoddy69 said:

I'll let you know what it's like when mine gets here :) 

I reckon your right though it won't be as good as the Yeti it will be !!! BETTER !!!  :P:D

I doubt that, but tbh, it depends what you like in an RC.

For me, the Yeti couldn't be any better, but if someone doesn't really like the Yeti and buys this, then they may think it's a lot better.

There's also the group of people who jazz things up because it was free or 'borrowed'

And the other group of people who don't like to admit they made a mistake and claim something is great lol.

It's hard to really get a good idea of what something is like without using it yourself.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Praet0r87 said:

Don't you just love ingenuity? ^_^

If it cures the issue, ones cap is doffed.

Also read that the Rey handles better than the Score, seemed good in videos, though the Score looks better to me, lol...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

I doubt that, but tbh, it depends what you like in an RC.

For me, the Yeti couldn't be any better, but if someone doesn't really like the Yeti and buys this, then they may think it's a lot better.

There's also the group of people who jazz things up because it was free or 'borrowed'

And the other group of people who don't like to admit they made a mistake and claim something is great lol.

It's hard to really get a good idea of what something is like without using it yourself.

Hmm so the only way you know if the yeti is all you think it is and better is to try the competition as you say you got use it yourself to know for sure.. ;) 

27 minutes ago, Noj said:

Do they sell ready done items? 

Modded AR60 housing (for Wraith/Bomber)

http://www.dluxfab.com/#!/Modified-Wraith-Bomber-Housings/p/32422412/category=12405705

They also do one for the front diff housing of the Yeti:

http://www.dluxfab.com/#!/Modified-Axial-EXO-Yeti-Housing-bulk-head/p/37366129/category=12405705

And one for the SCX10:

http://www.dluxfab.com/#!/Modified-AX10-SCX10-Housings/p/36153197/category=12405706

They ship worldwide, bought stuff from Erik and he's great to deal with, and if you ask nicely he will sometimes mark as low value for customs, he doesn't charge over the top for shipping either.

Edited by ostewart
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...