• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Outlaw Owners

I now run a castle motor and it's lovely but I previously has a EZRUN motor with I think 6 pre drilled holes (3 sets or if you like 3 different motor positions), if it was in one set of holes it would run perfectly quiet and smooth but if used in either of the other two sets of holes It would cog really loudly !!! Reason I tried it in the other holes was becuase it would have made the motor wires run nicer to the ESC but for sure the other two sets of holes on the face of the motor were not correctly centered so deffo something to think of it any of you guys on here are running cheap £30-£40 BL systems some of you might be fine but other my find like me they have to turn the motor and use a different set of hole so I stop it cogging really badly 

• Like 1

Hmmm. That's very interesting gents. And sounds perfectly plausible. Guess it's more money either way - expert view or try motor replacement.

I thought it might be the diffs, maybe stiff or binding, but since it free-wheels easily on all wheels and on each axle I don't see those being an issue.

Doesn't leave many other options really, but the motor.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Hadn't considered that cheap BL motors might have poorly centred mounting holes.

I fitted an Ares sensored motor that does seem to be well made and haven't had problems.
          John

IMG_1520.png
And does a sensored motor work along side the existing OE brushless components? Or does it need to have an ESC upgrade too?

3 minutes ago, ADH66 said:

And does a sensored motor work along side the existing OE brushless components? Or does it need to have an ESC upgrade too?

You do have to fit a sensored ESC. I use a Hobbywing Quicrun Sensored 10BL60.

John

Edited by johninderby

Hi Guys, I'm new to this hobby, glad I found this forum and great outlaw thread.

I stopped by a hobby shop last Saturday, and came out with the brushless outlaw rtr kit?.

Totally hooked after it's first run on Sunday, and great fun for my 2yr old to chase after lol.

I was wondering also if the stock esc shuts down the motor/ power when the lipo is drained to a safe level of say 3.6v per cell?  I ran it for what felt like 15-20 mins and still had more to go, but switched off just incase. 

I've just ordered 2s 4000mah 50 c lipo, the one that comes in the box is 2s 3250 20c.   Will I get more power or just longer run times with 4000mah 50c? 

Any advice much appreciated!

34 minutes ago, Bigjimknickers said:

Just longer run times, possibly better "punch" from a higher quality battery?

I'm sure that some one will correct me if I'm wrong!

You're right there! It'll give longer run times but the battery will maintain the performance for a longer period too than the 20C. I've noticed a difference between the C ratings on my batteries, there's a few rated at 25C and 40C - with a clear difference in performance. 

• Like 1

Hi Guys, I'm new to this hobby, glad I found this forum and great outlaw thread.
 I stopped by a hobby shop last Saturday, and came out with the brushless outlaw rtr kit?.
Totally hooked after it's first run on Sunday, and great fun for my 2yr old to chase after lol.

I was wondering also if the stock esc shuts down the motor/ power when the lipo is drained to a safe level of say 3.6v per cell?  I ran it for what felt like 15-20 mins and still had more to go, but switched off just incase. 

I've just ordered 2s 4000mah 50 c lipo, the one that comes in the box is 2s 3250 20c.   Will I get more power or just longer run times with 4000mah 50c? 

Any advice much appreciated!
It will, the esc has a preset safe limit of (can't remember) but it's the recognised "don't use this battery past... V"

49 minutes ago, ADH66 said:

It will, the esc has a preset safe limit of (can't remember) but it's the recognised "don't use this battery past... V"

That's good to know, when I'm out next il run it until it slows up!

is there a difference between using a steering wheel controller and a standard stick controller? I'm  guessing its easier for orientation with wheel?

I will at some point upgrade from the stock controller, occasionally if I hit reverse , the command doesn't register and I have to re push the trigger again. It happens sometimes  if I go from forward then quickly to reverse. 

Overall though loving this buggy!

is there a difference between using a steering wheel controller and a standard stick controller? I'm  guessing its easier for orientation with wheel?
I will at some point upgrade from the stock controller, occasionally if I hit reverse , the command doesn't register and I have to re push the trigger again. It happens sometimes  if I go from forward then quickly to reverse. 
Only thing I can contribute is to be careful with flight transmitters whose throttle stick won't be spring loaded to return to "off". Maybe car specific types do, but my Spektrum dx8 and ilk don't. So you let go, and the car would keep going. Like a cruise control.

Whereas the wheel types all spring back to throttle off.

And while it seems to be me and you, the car can be programmed via the £10 esc controller shown in the manual, to go direct to reverse from forwards. Really can't recommend this if you value your drive train. The car is, in brushless format at least, borderline over powered out of the box. Snapping from one direction to another will unduly stress especially the plastic components like the spur gear and stock rear prop shaft.

I think std setting requires you pause the throttle between fwd and back before reverse is allowed. Imagine slamming a car into reverse at 40mph.....

• Like 1

And I clearly don't know what a stick controller is, by the sounds. I'll get my coat....

John, motor and esc you recommend is going to be in my sweaty hands Sat morning. Fingers crossed and thanks for the info, you useful mine of knowledge you.

I've got a decent hitec stick controller it's an eclipse 3 channel, it's old and runs on 27mhz however I think I'll convert it to 2.4ghz and swap the battery to a lipo.

The car stick transmitters tend to spring back, the reason the plane/helicopter ones don't is to allow finer movement on throttle/lift for example it makes hovering easier

Sent from my TA-1033 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 06/09/2017 at 21:35, westerlycarrot9 said:

I just realized today that the stock brushless ESC has a red LED near the orange one which flashes the moment the battery runs out of power. Is that normal? Is that a warning for the battery? Unfortunately the manual mentions nothing about the red LED...

Are you using a Lipo or nimh?

1 hour ago, Gavster29 said:

I've got a decent hitec stick controller it's an eclipse 3 channel, it's old and runs on 27mhz however I think I'll convert it to 2.4ghz and swap the battery to a lipo.

The car stick transmitters tend to spring back, the reason the plane/helicopter ones don't is to allow finer movement on throttle/lift for example it makes hovering easier

Sent from my TA-1033 using Tapatalk

In my opinion Aviation transmitters are far superior for crawling unless you have a MOA crawler where you need different motor mixes, The spring in the throttle channeller is easyily remove or replaced I prefer not having it as it allowed you to bring the throttle up very slowly and once moving maintain any given speed with ease 

Edited by 6ft4Crawler
  • Like 1

During last week's ill fated evening woodland excursion (another stripped spur) I did experiment with lighting.

Here is the buggy with my cycle light attached to the inside of the roof frame.

And it worked a treat. The lights are £15 from Halfords, Inc battery, and attach via a rubber band.

adb189e76c97cfd766728a018b335c4f.jpg23af48e3e26ae51a3addea8bfcce83ee.jpg

• Like 1