• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Outlaw Owners

Anyone tried lower profile, wider tyres on the Outlaw?  Something like these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fastrax-1-10-Mt-Jigsaw-Mounted-6-Spoke-Black-0-Offset-Pr-FAST1211B/202445469017

I think I saw a video of someone trying these out and looked like the stability was way better.

Given that my 4yo daughter is desperate to drive my Outlaw BL anytime I take it out, anything to make it more stable / easier to drive is a bonus!

3 hours ago, Bananaman said:

@Redback - You suggested HoBao springs over on the Vantage / Carnage thread, do you know if these will fit to Outlaw?

Was looking at these?

https://www.makeitbuildit.co.uk/hobao-shock-spring-set-4-pcs-22749

I cant be 100% sure as i pulled mine from a 15 year old ex nitro buggy, came with purple and blue springs, blue worked well, they are a bit long for the shocks but make them much stiffer and can still fully collapse.

53 minutes ago, Redback said:

I cant be 100% sure as i pulled mine from a 15 year old ex nitro buggy, came with purple and blue springs, blue worked well, they are a bit long for the shocks but make them much stiffer and can still fully collapse.

Hi as iv been looking as well and iv asked the seller to help and they looking in to it . 

So if I hear anything I'll post it   

On 24/03/2021 at 15:51, Bananaman said:

Anyone tried lower profile, wider tyres on the Outlaw?  Something like these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fastrax-1-10-Mt-Jigsaw-Mounted-6-Spoke-Black-0-Offset-Pr-FAST1211B/202445469017

I think I saw a video of someone trying these out and looked like the stability was way better.

Given that my 4yo daughter is desperate to drive my Outlaw BL anytime I take it out, anything to make it more stable / easier to drive is a bonus!

Yeah, I ran mine for several years, using HPI monster truck wheels. If you're interested, you can see several videos of it on my youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf56gB-CU10rfoVDFWiamJQ

The long and short of it is; yes, it made the truck slightly more stable and more resistant to roll-overs, but it also made the ride very choppy, due to the smaller tyre walls, with less give.

I ended up changing back to the original wheels/tyres, because bump management was sooooo much better! However... it now rolls over a lot more, again! 😆

Edited by PraetoR

31 minutes ago, PraetoR said:

I ended up changing back to the original wheels/tyres, because bump management was sooooo much better! However... it now rolls over a lot more, again! 😆

I’ve found the best solution for speed to be to run the stock wheels/tyres but move the battery forward to change and lower the CG - I also run a stiffer front end with Carnage ARB and a super soft/sloppy rear end and it really soaks up rough stuff at speed, I’ve kept the spare on the back and it seems to act like a handlebar end weight on a motorcycle and keeps the body pitch under control

• Like 1

4 hours ago, walkbythesea said:

I’ve found the best solution for speed to be to run the stock wheels/tyres but move the battery forward to change and lower the CG - I also run a stiffer front end with Carnage ARB and a super soft/sloppy rear end and it really soaks up rough stuff at speed, I’ve kept the spare on the back and it seems to act like a handlebar end weight on a motorcycle and keeps the body pitch under control

You've basically described my truck! :lol:

Except for keeping the spare wheel.

I have the battery mounted onto the top deck, rear wheel removed, metal chassis, metal trailing arms, metal driveshaft, Thunder Tiger front springs, Carnage anti roll bar at the front and metal sway bar setup at rear.

2 hours ago, Redback said:

Undercover outlaw.

IMG_20210327_011445.thumb.jpg.ab2d8daf7a101c3a72f6eaa12bfd5b68.jpg

Òoooooooooooooooooooooo  I want i want  that looks fab . 

Tell what is the set up on that   wheels   body shocks    let me guess hobbywing motor esc combo mmmmmm lol 

That is nice . 

4 hours ago, Iain .R said:

Òoooooooooooooooooooooo  I want i want  that looks fab . 

Tell what is the set up on that   wheels   body shocks    let me guess hobbywing motor esc combo mmmmmm lol 

That is nice . 

Dragrace body shell, Stc rear wheels, 1/10 touring car / crawler beadlocks front.
Anything can go underneath, a stock outlaw or in this case the custom crawler one, no hobbywing on this, its running castle.
IMG_20210327_011452.thumb.jpg.a08900bfd77c7c35a47864c7f16e51e4.jpg

11 hours ago, PraetoR said:

Have you removed the front prop shaft and driveshafts?

No just removed the grubscrew for the time being 😄

11 hours ago, Redback said:

No just removed the grubscrew for the time being 😄

Well it drove like garbage, had no ability to turn and just was aweful not fun at all haha. Not worth it.

Edited by Redback
  • Haha 1

Well I went out for a wee bash today  1st time in 2 weeks . So I decided to take the outlaw ( brushed motor)  and try it  with lipo 2s battery   I have the 60a esc swapped the wee pegs to lipo  and off it went  a bit faster had some fun  so the outlaw started to slow    so time for swap batteys   swapped batterys and then touched the motor oooooooo it was hot     hot hot ... so right time for a brake   tried the full charge battery of it went nice and fast.    So motor too hot for my liking . So ended it  . I fitted the fan to it later on as I forgot it didnt have one till i was out bashing   .

So this is the 1st time iv used lipo on brushed motor  is it suppost to get hot  as the other cars have fans   (they all do now )  

So it's back to Nhim  now . As this week I'll be getting the new pinions and esc for the brushless carnage..  

1 hour ago, Iain .R said:

Well I went out for a wee bash today  1st time in 2 weeks . So I decided to take the outlaw ( brushed motor)  and try it  with lipo 2s battery   I have the 60a esc swapped the wee pegs to lipo  and off it went  a bit faster had some fun  so the outlaw started to slow    so time for swap batteys   swapped batterys and then touched the motor oooooooo it was hot     hot hot ... so right time for a brake   tried the full charge battery of it went nice and fast.    So motor too hot for my liking . So ended it  . I fitted the fan to it later on as I forgot it didnt have one till i was out bashing   .

So this is the 1st time iv used lipo on brushed motor  is it suppost to get hot  as the other cars have fans   (they all do now )  

So it's back to Nhim  now . As this week I'll be getting the new pinions and esc for the brushless carnage..  

Despite what the manual says the Outlaw stock motor doesn't handle 2S, regardless of the ESC settings, we burnt 2 out in two runs before switching to brushless, believe that is not uncommon / its a pretty well known weakness on the Outlaw brushed as stock.

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, suls said:

Despite what the manual says the Outlaw stock motor doesn't handle 2S, regardless of the ESC settings, we burnt 2 out in two runs before switching to brushless, believe that is not uncommon / its a pretty well known weakness on the Outlaw brushed as stock.

Bugger . 

1 hour ago, suls said:

I’ve been running 2s lipo through my stock ESC, really abusing it crawling over seriously nasty terrain, no problems here with the ESC - but the factory motors do burn easily if not regularly allowed to cool

Edited by walkbythesea
  • Thanks 1

On 26/03/2021 at 18:56, Redback said:

On 26/03/2021 at 19:51, Iain .R said:

Hi as iv been looking as well and iv asked the seller to help and they looking in to it . 

So if I hear anything I'll post it   

Thanks both.  They're only a tenner, so might give them a go and see if they fit myself.

• Thanks 1

On 26/03/2021 at 19:54, PraetoR said:

Yeah, I ran mine for several years, using HPI monster truck wheels. If you're interested, you can see several videos of it on my youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf56gB-CU10rfoVDFWiamJQ

The long and short of it is; yes, it made the truck slightly more stable and more resistant to roll-overs, but it also made the ride very choppy, due to the smaller tyre walls, with less give.

Ok, maybe I'll steer clear of them for the moment then.

Haha - Yes, I think I've watched all the Outlaw videos on your channel, I can't believe how little luck you've had with yours!  I've only broken mine once, and that was the bumper / chassis connections after coming down nose-first onto concrete from a skate park ramp...  Yours seems to break if you look at it sideways!

I've got the anti-roll bars, so need to fit those, but not feeling confident about how to move the battery forward and relocating the ESC(?).

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bananaman said:

I've got the anti-roll bars, so need to fit those, but not feeling confident about how to move the battery forward and relocating the ESC(?).

The mods pretty simple, just put the battery tray on the top of the brace and move the esc forward or behind it 🙂
If you rather not move it, I bought an extra battery tray so i can run dual batteries, just screw it to the center top brace.
Also get a couple of extra battery bars, helps stiffen up the rear end.
IMG_20210327_011452.thumb.jpg.a08900bfd77c7c35a47864c7f16e51e4.jpg

Edited by Redback

Yeah, mine is a lemon and no mistake!

Nice to hear that some people's Outlaws are dependable, but I just don't know how!

I unscrewed the battery tray and simply screwed it down onto the top deck, having drilled some corresponding holes. As for the ESC, I just used double sided tape, to mount it on-top of the receiver box.

EDIT: Just saw Redback's reply... I mounted my battery longitudinally, not transversely as he has, but either way works!

Edited by PraetoR

Love my outlaw, only 10th scale rig I currently run, or indeed the only one i've kept using in the last few years.  Widening the track helps no end, and lowering expectations helps.  Main rig is still the one John built... though I've had multiple others to run alongside / try things out.