• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Outlaw Owners

10 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

Stock - 17t pinion ok or needs an upgraded hardened one?

If you're going for the 3650 brushless motor then chances are it'll probably have the 3.1mm shaft, so your stock 17t pinion will fit it. The stock metal 17t pinion would hold up well, my other Outlaw SCT conversion I've got runs good with a 3650 brushless motor and Lipo.. On my normal Outlaw I had to get a different pinion as the brushless motor I fitted has a 5mm shaft (3660), finally found one through eBay. Then I also had to get the matching motor mount to suit the 23tooth pinion, ordered direct from FTX in the end and it wasn't even 48hrs from ordering and receiving. I went for the alloy mount to try and eliminate any play and flex from using the plastic mount. Pity FTX don't do an aluminium gearbox - that's defiantly be on the upgrade list! 

• Like 1

On 30/04/2017 at 18:28, chewbacca said:

What's the max diameter and length of the metal propshaft?

That^^^^^^^

On 01/05/2017 at 16:28, t2boats said:

If you're going for the 3650 brushless motor then chances are it'll probably have the 3.1mm shaft, so your stock 17t pinion will fit it. The stock metal 17t pinion would hold up well, my other Outlaw SCT conversion I've got runs good with a 3650 brushless motor and Lipo.. On my normal Outlaw I had to get a different pinion as the brushless motor I fitted has a 5mm shaft (3660), finally found one through eBay. Then I also had to get the matching motor mount to suit the 23tooth pinion, ordered direct from FTX in the end and it wasn't even 48hrs from ordering and receiving. I went for the alloy mount to try and eliminate any play and flex from using the plastic mount. Pity FTX don't do an aluminium gearbox - that's defiantly be on the upgrade list! 

Cool cheers Boats, makes a change as all my Tamiya's pinion usually require upgrading from stock Aluminium to hardened pinions when the power increases, nice to see an RC that doesn't.

Bacca you getting a hardened rear drive shaft? Thought you didn't have an Outlaw, are you hiding it somewhere?

12 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

Cool cheers Boats, makes a change as all my Tamiya's pinion usually require upgrading from stock Aluminium to hardened pinions when the power increases, nice to see an RC that doesn't.

Bacca you getting a hardened rear drive shaft? Thought you didn't have an Outlaw, are you hiding it somewhere?

RW Pinions is where I go for all my small cogs.

Nope, no Outlaw in the fleet, am thinking of using the shaft in something else though................................

Took it for run number two today and broke a rear suspension link landing awkwardly from a jump...... thought it might've survived but nope.... the part only costs £5 or I can get an aluminium version for £20... the actual break was a thin piece that goes round a ball joint.

This is the broken part (aluminium upgrade option)

http://ftx-rc.com/rc-hop-ups/ftx-outlaw-option-parts/ftx-outlaw-aluminium-rear-axle-to-chassis-links-2pc?limit=25

Here is some short video's of it in action.

The 2s lipo did make it a bit more peppy but still pretty slow as I was expecting.... go a full 15 minutes out of it before it broke though and loved every minute of it, the suspension is very smooth,  just seeing it land and squat down was smile inducing...... and then  braking into a 180 from full speed lift it's rear inside wheel like a dog marking his territory.

One thing I didn't like was the slow response form the throttle input....this is the stock esc for which there is no adjustment....  there is a lag of about a second which hinders in air control to lift the nose up and this partly helped cause my bad landing which caused the break.

• Like 1

Hi guys.

Has anyone snapped the rear leg/knee joint that's at the back of the truck? They're attached to the trailing arms. 

What do they do? From what I can see they're there just for aesthetic's. 

On 30/04/2017 at 18:08, johninderby said:

The stock ESC is only 2s. I ran it on 3s using this cheap ESC and it was a lot quicker. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-2V-16V-320A-Brushed-Speed-Controller-ESC-for-1-10-1-12-RC-Truck-Car-Boat-T2H7-/222431030296?hash=item33c9ec2c18:g:v7AAAOSwdGFYvTXe

John

I've got the Brushless Outlaw and wanted to try out a 3S Lipo. Is it best to replace the ESC with something like the one above before I test it with anything more powerful than 2S?

2 minutes ago, StroudSmithy said:

I've got the Brushless Outlaw and wanted to try out a 3S Lipo. Is it best to replace the ESC with something like the one above before I test it with anything more powerful than 2S?

If you've got the brushless Outlaw you don't want that ESC, it's a brushed one. You want this:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobbywing-quicrun-wp-10bl60-bl-esc/rc-car-products/382833

Can you run a brushless 60a esc on 3s lipo?

I've just seen a GoolRC combo for  such as esc with a 3900kv brushless motor rated to 2-3s lipo... but all I ever hear is people getting 120a esc's for use with a 3s lipo... but then GoolRC sell this combo so it must be ok?

Any thoughts?

Edited by Jason1145

Hi just ordered the vrx octane still on the slow boat lol.read threw the forum the guys who have the front sway bar on how do u like it.also does anyone know where I can buy one that ships to the USA thanks 

Fixed my Broken rear axle to chassis links, and fitted the snazzy aluminium holder too

40dgqb2.jpg

H7Y05G6.jpg

rMhkO8d.jpg

xE0eVSA.jpg

rUWWhK9.jpg

In other news, I'm currently charging up a nimh, a 2s lipo, a 3s lipo, my SKYRC GPS and my trusty SJ5000+ Camera - all for some speed run measurements tomorrow.... all on the stock 15t brushed motor with 17t pinion and stock brushed esc...... will be interesting to see what changes the 3 different batteries give in top speeds.

Weather permitting, 14 month old daughter permitting, and wifey permitting that is.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bosco72 said:

Hi just ordered the vrx octane still on the slow boat lol.read threw the forum the guys who have the front sway bar on how do u like it.also does anyone know where I can buy one that ships to the USA thanks 

Have you tried eBay? The front is the same as carnage and bugster so it's not under outlaw. 

Screenshot_20170506-004440.png

Got to speed run the Oitlaw today but my camera corrupted the SD card or something leaving no footage!

It was Slow on nimh at about 25KPH iirc, 2s lipo woke it up with 35KPH.

3s really got it moving at 55KPH but the 15t brushed motor was quite hot after 4-5 minutes of a couple speed runs and then some horsing around.

I'' glad I found this out now and I'll not bother anymore with brushed motors on 3s lipo, they really don't like 11.1v of juice being fed to them.