• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Outlaw Owners

6 hours ago, Bigjimknickers said:

If I was to go for one if possibly go straight for the BL version, If I had the Brushed it wouldn't stay brushed for long as I've got motors & escs here I can always bang in, so is it more than capable running on 2s or does a 3s give it a much needed boost?

thanks for adding your views guys!

Same as me really, mine only stayed brushed for a brief period as I was interested to see how the stock setup would fair on Lipo for the price I paid. I mainly use 3S in mine, has more than enough punch, use a 2S if there's one in the box which seem lively enough.. I have fun controlling it on either cell battery.

Hi All 

I would like to go over to 3S LiPo's and wondered which ones you guys recommend ? 

Are there ones that fit the stock battery tray ?

ESC = cheap chinese one mentioned multiple times in this thread which is 4S & LiPo compatible

Motor = stock  

Thanks in advance.

8 hours ago, hamradioguy said:

Hi All 

I would like to go over to 3S LiPo's and wondered which ones you guys recommend ? 

Are there ones that fit the stock battery tray ?

ESC = cheap chinese one mentioned multiple times in this thread which is 4S & LiPo compatible

Motor = stock  

Thanks in advance.

I've mainly always used LionPower or Floureon bought through eBay. Other makes of 3S I've got are bigger than 5500mah and don't quite fit in the tray. I ran mine stock for a while using 3S lipo (and the cheap reliable esc), it ran well too. But I would be cautious doing it again as we all know there's been a few motor burn outs mentioned on the thread. Mine didn't burn out as such, though I think it was knocking on the door to it as I did notice the smell when I was removing the motor to fit the brushless gear. It didn't drop in performance but I reckon it was close. I ran probably 9 packs through it before changing to brushless...?! The first time using the cheapy esc in the Outlaw the drag brake had a dramatic effect on the car which I wasn't expecting. Too violent, so the reverse current it inflicts on the motor is too severe for my liking as it flipped the car into forward roles with ease when the trigger was let go for neutral - which would no doubt end up with the motor ending its life a lot sooner than it should. So I had to adjust how I'd control it and still have some throttle engaged for when slowing down. I think by doing that is how my motor lasted a bit longer.

I've swapped the sensored motor for the Reaktor 3000kv 4 pole + ESC stolen from my SCT as I've been getting the Outlaw wetter than I thought I ever would. Managed to get a quick run in near home yesterday to prove it is actually waterproof lol . Here's a quick video:

• Like 2

I've swapped the sensored motor for the Reaktor 3000kv 4 pole + ESC stolen from my SCT as I've been getting the Outlaw wetter than I thought I ever would. Managed to get a quick run in near home yesterday to prove it is actually waterproof lol . Here's a quick video:

Great video, what esc are you using? What waterproofing measures did you take?

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk

Thanks. This is the combo:

https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/247071/?gclid=Cj0KEQiAuonGBRCaotXoycysvIMBEiQAcxV0nKDXBipZJyXoh8elNDte8_8kDWR06OMt88E6aln7dPsaAmuq8P8HAQ

The only thing not waterproof was the reciever, I already ruined my last one in my previous vid (lucky I only use HK £4 receivers!)

I just popped the Rx in a black ballon (it has to be black lol) put one cable tie on to enclose it, then put some putty around the wires & pulled the balloon over the putty then used a 2nd cable tie to sandwich the putty. I cable tied it all to the chassis rather than use the Rx box it was housed in originally. 

The only other thing I did was to seal the 2 vents in each wheel with some small patches of Gorilla tape to stop water getting in & ruining the inserts etc.

Edited by DanDare
  • Like 2

I've used flysky for years, killed a few receivers thanks to water so recently I ordered servo extension leads which I can plug into the rx. once the rx is bound to the transmitter then it'll be dipped into Plastidip. 

Hi all, 

Went to the beach at the weekend; for speed runs -  the Outlaw was really at home there.

I find the soft tyres give too much traction on tarmac and I'm forever flipping it, even just when accelerating.

Whereas on the sand there's just enough give in it to let it slide a touch rather than let go and barrel roll several times. 

Anyway, quick clip of how she goes up and more enjoyably down the side of a slipway...

May notice an ECX Amp MT appear at the end, got that for the father in law! 

• Like 2

I like the stock tyres to be fair, very grippy for tarmac as you say, which at the end of the day they're not designed for. I've found them very good on all surfaces I've tried so far off-road, the quarry where I go is slate, so has a nice loose surface which is quite fine. Climb a bit higher up and the rocks/large pieces of slate appear amongst it all and it copes with those just as well. If I were to venture for an aftermarket set of tyres I'd like to try a set of Rock Crushers and fit them to some ali beadlocks ive got my eyes on. 

• Like 1

Fitted the goolrc 3660 3800kv just to see me through until i can get the sensored one in.

I got the same strange rumbling as the motor sorts its self out. But on a 23 or 22t pinion (cant recall which one is fitted) it certainly flys. Motor got warm (70f) with driving on concrete the odd bit of uncut lawn, so think this may do ok too with offroad, need to test futher.

But it was fun [emoji4] first car that'll pop a wheelie from mid throttle to full ive had. I can see me breaking serious bits now.

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk

Same as my spec bieomax, 3800kv and 23t! It's always been off-road (until it's Speed rest the other day on tarmac) with no heat issues or breakages at all, the 120Amp ESC suits it well on 3S. I'm thinking I'll be sticking with that setup too. 

Edited by t2boats
  • Like 1

Meant to add, I bought a few of those motor fans several months ago now - with the aim to fit one to the Outlaw. Haven't got around to this yet (keep forgetting), but I'm thinking it doesn't need it. The motor when in use is warm to touch, and keep hold of, and the esc hasn't cut out on heat yet ether.. and that's after running a few 3S packs through it off-road. 

The parts for a rear anti role bar arrived this morning, so when I get chance I'll have a meddle with things and see if one can be put together. Will pop up some pix! 

• Like 1

Hi guys, the outlaw is my first proper rc car. I think I've made a good choice it's a cracking car that's a blast.

Yea I'm also interested in a 600 motor. Do you think a smaller tooth or bigger tooth would solve the over heating issue? Would a fan on the motor also help?

Unfortunely with the stock gearbox you can only fit a 17t or 23t pinion gear. Modifying the motor mounting plate should allow you to fit a smaller pinion though but not sure how much smaller.

One of the cheap Chinese brushless set-ups seems to be the way to go.

John

Wolfe - Definitely brushless in my view too! But if you're planning on keeping the stock motor and esc then it'll be more than happy on 2S Lipo rather than the stock nimh battery. There'll be a gain in performance too (not a massive leap but it's noticeable). I used it on 3S Lipo for a while using a different esc, one which could handle a higher voltage, still using the stock motor and 17t pinion. No heat issues but who knows when it would've burnt out.. so to be safe and going by what some of the lads have experienced, if running stock setup again I'd stick with a 2S Lipo to be on the safe side. The lower the number of teeth on the pinion gear then the less likely the motor will overheat, however the overall top speed will suffer. The more pinion teeth then the longer the legs it has for more top end speed, and when coupled with off-road terrain the motor has to work very hard, increasing the heat. 

Enjoy the buggy, it's tremendous value, I think they're underpriced for what they are to be fair in comparison to other rc's available. A bargain buy :good:

Edited by t2boats
  • Like 1