• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Outlaw Owners

I give up....?....

....2 wheel drive only it had lost a grub screw...any one else had this problem, have waited days for a new cvd, installed fine, gave it some love n care here n there..tested wheels turn fast and stronge thinking it was all good again, put it on the deck n won't move, pick it up n the wheels instantly spin again?? 

Edited by English outlaw
  • Haha 1

Have you checked all the fixings along the drive? Looks like the pinion is a bit loose, tight enough to turn with no traction but under its own weight loose enough to slip.

either that or the pinion is jumping the spur when under load.....

Took the outlaw out with little un this morning.  Drove it for about 120 ft , did a small jump & sheared the pins in the brand new metal drive shaft ?. So I fettled a summit drive shaft to fit in.  After some swearing & sweating I got it to fit. I've given it a good testing doing wheelies & rolling stoppies.  It's way stronger than the metal ftx one. Not moved or twisted or broke anything. I might have solved the problem ☺️

Edited by NOFX
Autocadrivel

Hi guys.I am looking for a winter down the garden basher and have just seen these.I don't need crazy speed as my garden isn't massive.£125 for a brushed version seems very good value for a car this size.So what do you think? Would it be ideal?

Hi. Just do the chassis mod & maybe get the steel rear drive shaft & you're good to go. The chassis mod ( there's a few on here) really stiffens up the rear end& helps prevent breakages. These are no speed machines, not designed for it.  Have a look at ultra 4 & king of the hammers on YouTube. That'll give you the right idea about em. 

25 minutes ago, martin34 said:

Thanks I will have a look through the thread for the chassi mod.I think I have read I can run a 2s lipo in the brushed one?

Yup, but you'll need to set the ESC's thermal and voltage cut-offs to prevent damage to the motor and battery. My stock brushed motor gets a little hot with a 2s.

Hi All,

New to the forum and would like to ask a few (probably stupid) questions.

I am an expat living out in Saudi Arabia and bought the outlaw whilst back in the UK for my sons birthday. He absolutely loves it, but unfortunately when driving it yesterday it stopped working after a short while.

The temp is still really hot right now in Saudi 40 degrees, so I think I have probably burnt the motor out. I now don't have the beep sound on startup, but am still able to turn the wheels left and right. There is a variable (depending on trigger pressure)voltage coming from the ESC and the motor turns and isn't seized, but I guess it is the motor that has gone. Everything is stock except for some 3300 nicad batteries.

Owing to my location, I would really like some advice on a reliable motor (and ESC if needed), that will keep the outlaw on the road without needing to keep getting parts shipped out. (I can get parts through UK mail - but could probably get from USA at a push).

Thank you in anticipation. Let me know if I have missed out any vital information.

Rob

On 25/08/2018 at 19:56, Andy20xe said:

Are these any good for trails

Yeah. Pretty much perfect for trails. If you spot a good crawling spot whilst you're trailing you can have a got at that too ☺️.

• Like 1

Hi All,

New to the forum and would like to ask a few (probably stupid) questions.

I am an expat living out in Saudi Arabia and bought the outlaw whilst back in the UK for my sons birthday. He absolutely loves it, but unfortunately when driving it yesterday it stopped working after a short while.

The temp is still really hot right now in Saudi 40 degrees, so I think I have probably burnt the motor out. I now don't have the beep sound on startup, but am still able to turn the wheels left and right. There is a variable (depending on trigger pressure)voltage coming from the ESC and the motor turns and isn't seized, but I guess it is the motor that has gone. Everything is stock except for some 3300 nicad batteries.

Owing to my location, I would really like some advice on a reliable motor (and ESC if needed), that will keep the outlaw on the road without needing to keep getting parts shipped out. (I can get parts through UK mail - but could probably get from USA at a push).

Thank you in anticipation. Let me know if I have missed out any vital information.

Rob

Hi I’m pretty new to this and I will probably be corrected but

I’ve been through similar issues. I may be wrong but I believe they beep to confirm the amount of cells in a lipo battery that’s plugged in. If you’re using nimh I don’t think it will beep.

Does the motor spin? If so does drive shaft spin? The pins and grub screws come lose on the drive shafts and mine have also fallen out completely. Upgraded to the all metal driveshaft and it happened again within half an hr of running. Common fault.

Check the pinion gear and spur gear for worn/stripped cogs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Starting to receive some of the parts for the upgrade:

•    FTX Aluminium Wheel Hex 12mm (4) - Vantage/ Carnage - FTX6365
•    FTX Sway Bar Sets Fr/RR – Carnage - FTX6376
•    FTX Outlaw Servo Post Set - FTX8344
•    FTX Outlaw Aluminium Motor Mount for 17T Pinion - FTX8371
•    FTX Outlaw Carbon Fibre Main Chassis Plate - FTX8374
•    FTX Outlaw Steel Rear Central CVD Complete - FTX8377
•    RW .6 Pinion 17 teeth - RW0600-17    
•    RW Hardened Acetal Outlaw Main Spur Gear 62t - RWFTX62

•    Spektrum DX5C DSMR 5 channel remote control + SRS6000 AVC receiver - I'm really curious how will it handle with the Spektrum AVC system 

•    GoolRC 3650 3900KV Waterproof Brushless Motor - pending

•    Hobbywing 120A ESC - pending

Will do a complete teardown/clean/regrease/threadlock all the things. Can't wait for all the parts to arrive ? 

20180831_182605.jpg 20180831_182617.jpg 20180831_195513.jpg 20180831_220848.jpg 20180904_172327.jpg 20180904_175135.jpg 

Hi outlaw owners.

new here, been reading the topic for a while now. My hillerious FTX outlaw ownership is a journey that's for sure, it will break every outting which is what makes it pretty funny owning one.

it started as a brushed version. I immediately bought new wheels and a new ESC as the standard electronics are trash out the box.

it had some proline short course style wheels and a hobbywing 1060 ESC. 

It's taken a beating so far and I've been replacing bits as it gives up. So it currently sits as follows.

upgraded steering servo

GOOLRC 3650 3500KV motor and ESC

Carbon chassis plate (so far so good on this, I'm a bit skeptical and expect it to snap like the plastic one)

FTX carnage sway bar

alluminum links and link carriers.

cheap Chinese lights :)

alliminum hex's

jist ordered one of those metal 26T spurs as I've stripped the standard one.

so the brushless motor wrecked the hex in the offside rear wheel, stripped the wheel hex so superglued the plastic one into the wheel till I kill the tires. The others have alluminum hexs.

came across a problem. The drive cup axle isn't long enough now as the hex is wider. So is there any wider drive cups as in the threaded part the wheel nut goes onto. Maybe from another model that would fit. 

IMG_4300.PNG

Edited by Coxxy
Spelling mistake.

Hi outlaw owners.

new here, been reading the topic for a while now. My hillerious FTX outlaw ownership is a journey that's for sure, it will break every outting which is what makes it pretty funny owning one.

it started as a brushed version. I immediately bought new wheels and a new ESC as the standard electronics are trash out the box.
it had some proline short course style wheels and a hobbywing 1060 ESC. 

It's taken a beating so far and I've been replacing bits as it gives up. So it currently sits as follows.

upgraded steering servo
GOOLRC 3650 3500KV motor and ESC
Carbon chassis plate (so far so good on this, I'm a bit skeptical and expect it to snap like the plastic one)
FTX carnage sway bar
alluminum links and link carriers.
cheap Chinese lights [emoji4]
alliminum hex's

jist ordered one of those metal 26T spurs as I've stripped the standard one.

so the brushless motor wrecked the hex in the offside rear wheel, stripped the wheel hex so superglued the plastic one into the wheel till I kill the tires. The others have alluminum hexs.

came across a problem. The drive cup axle isn't long enough now as the hex is wider. So is there any wider drive cups as in the threaded part the wheel nut goes onto. Maybe from another model that would fit. 

IMG_4300.PNG.e0ed3199b52e37f83338cd04ce3516a6.PNG
I chose to put hex extensions on, 12mm, so i can now mount up decent wheels!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, DartmoorTrails said:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F223101181946

This one.
I wanted more hex to mount on to and these have worked fine in achieving that whilst not making the stance too wide.

Ah you sir are a diamond. Thank you. 

Next job is awaiting the new steel spur and getting a steel pinion. There won't be much of this outlaw that's original anymore. Surprisingly, the rear drive shaft (still original) is still holding up.

IMG_4298.JPG

IMG_4299.JPG

Ah you sir are a diamond. Thank you. 

Next job is awaiting the new steel spur and getting a steel pinion. There won't be much of this outlaw that's original anymore. Surprisingly, the rear drive shaft (still original) is still holding up.
IMG_4298.thumb.JPG.cd9666d41173bcdd4140bcf75ecb7920.JPG
IMG_4299.thumb.JPG.f60441e300b5d37ff116a85cdd468764.JPG
You're very welcome[emoji106]
I'd grab a drive shaft if i were you though, it's a matter of time!