• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Which hyper 7: .21 or .28?

jarjardude

hey all, i've mad the choice to go for a hyper 7 to get into the world of nitro rc. the problem is there are 2 versions that i can find at this moment, the tq2 .28 model or the tq2 .21 savox. (link below) and i have no idea what the difference is between them. is the .28 version worth the extra £20?

Links:

.28 version:http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/264621/

.21 version:http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/264622/

Edited by jarjardude

I agree, the .21 is sweet as a nut. Eligible to race too if it ever takes your fancy :good:

The .28 has more grunt (torque) but uses more fuel and puts greater stress on the drivetrain. I found the .21 holds a tune better than the .28 and is also easier to tune in the first place.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, James1986 said:

I agree, the .21 is sweet as a nut. Eligible to race too if it ever takes your fancy :good:

The .28 has more grunt (torque) but uses more fuel and puts greater stress on the drivetrain. I found the .21 holds a tune better than the .28 and is also easier to tune in the first place.

nice, thanks, hoping to pick it up after the new year for a deal (I hope !) thanks

I found my Hyper 7 runs better (subjective) with HPI K4.6 28 engine than the 3 port 21 engine. Faster (subjective) and better acceleration (subjective). Not noticed any difference in wear yet and dont think it will be a big issue, as run a brushless Hyper 7 which has tons more torque. I you do a search this has been asked a few times and you will get differing answers. IMO you will get better acceleration with the 28 and possibly the same top speed. Manufacturers rpm figures are not usually accurate, so treat as a guide. The art is of course to tune it well. The 28 will need refueling more often. A decent branded 21 engine will be much better than the RTR supplied version but it all depends what you want from it. You could of course get a roller a put your own engine, but if your starting out then best buy new to learn..