• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Outlaw Ultra-4 & Outlaw SCT Conversion

t2boats

• 4 weeks later...

Well I finally gave up waiting on the parts from Modelsport... the supplier still hasn't sent them on. So I asked for the order to be cancelled and give them their due they did an immediate refund. I then went on to FTX' own site and got all the upgrade parts I was after (except the steel prop shaft, that seems out of stock everywhere!). Hopefully be here soon so I can finally make this Outlaw brushless..

I had the same issues with parts for my ECX Torment when I first got just over 3 years ago. Parts supposedly in 'supplier stock' but waited ages, and still nothing. Distributors seem happy to sell the truck but rarely back it up with decent UK parts support. It was this experience that got me started on getting parts from the US, which I continue to this day, unless it's some generic but I can pop down and buy from my LHS.

I know they get some stick, but I've never had any trouble getting parts for my daughter's slash, either genuine or aftermarket.

CML distribute FTX don't they? Wonder who MS's supplier is...?! Had all the bits I wanted direct from FTX online, except the steel shaft, that seems none existent anywhere at the moment! 

YAYYYYYY!!! Look what arrived this morning, ordered Thursday afternoon and appeared through my front door at 9am this morning. All that remains to get so far is the rear steel prop shaft..

Plan now is to fit the parts I listed months ago, see how it performs on 2S and 3S :rolleyes:

IMG_0930.JPG

Yeah I'm glad I ordered direct from FTX on Thursday, all that time waiting for MS to get the parts (it's not their fault, somewhere along the supply chain has tripped over a hurdle!)  direct from FTX took less than 2 days, excellent.

Been fitting the suspension parts and rear hubs, all looks very neat and went together with ease. A few points to note though:

1:  when fitting the rear ali hubs, using the stock screws they're actually that fraction too long, so when they're home inside the new hubs and screwed into the axle they touch up against, locking the rear shaft to that wheel. In the pic you'll see each screw has two small washers to bring them back a bit. Axle rotates with ease now thankfully. I also applied some grease to the inside of the axle housing before I popped the new hubs on so things should hopefully be watertight/stop any unwanted dust etc getting in

2:  the rear drop links don't come with a machined screw and nut for the centre hinge point. A good rummage around my stash of screws and I found the perfect length screw for it and matching M3 locknuts. 

3:  began fitting the GoolRC motor too and 23t mount, having already bought the 23t pinion we knew it would need trimming down as it's a bit on the long side. Soon discovered the motor shaft is about 2mm too long too!! :huh:  will have to dremel them both down to suit. 

Once the electrics are in place I'll be taking the shocks off and put some 25 or 30wt oil in each, so how it performs..

IMG_0931.JPG

Strange isn't it, the shaft on mine overlaps into where the upper casing would seal into the lower gearbox casing. I'll take approx 2mm off the shaft, that'll allow it to sit within the space and also cater for any axial float that motors have.

Or, I'll have to take a closer look at the motor mount. How close was the end of the motor to the steering post on your Outlaw John? I've got approx 6mm gap.. didn't really take much notice but I'm wondering if the mount is thicker on one side than the other..so that would effectively move the motor further forwards to backwards depending on which way I've fitted it. I'll take another look when I get chance later.

Edited by t2boats

K, had a quick shufty and there is a difference between sides on the mount plate. See pix! The lower pic is how it'll be fitted on the car. So no need to dremel the shaft now - phew!

IMG_0935.JPG

IMG_0936.JPG

Only ran it on 2s with the 17t pinion and speed was OK but not great. Needed the 23t I think.

Actually I pulled the motor out as while it ran fine on the flat if you asked it to crawl,up,something from a dead stop it didn't want to know. Would just sit for a couple of seconds making a horrible noise before starting to move. Made it useless for crawling. Have decided it needs a sensored motor to make it an all-rounder. Stock brushed motor is back in for now until I decide which sensored system to get. 

John

There's a friend of mine who's involved in the 4x4 trials and I went up to see them in action - amongst the 4x4 vehicles there were the V8 rock racer class - unreal the speeds they do up a steep incline! Hoping to replicate that with the Outlaw. Saw a vid of them in Baja too, they cover some serious terrain at amazing speeds which is what the Outlaw is aimed at apparently. 

I use the same motor in my Viper on 3S and it doesn't miss a beat, so after controlling the chassis torque twist on initial acceleration which the Outlaw had even with the stock brushed motor I'm sure I'll have plenty of fun with it, should be a challenge to control anyway. 

Never thought of the Outlaw as a crawler if I'm honest, I'd deffo modify the stock motor mount and fit a low pinion with a brushed motor for crawling, perhaps lock the rear diff too.. 

Had another morning of tinkering today, fitted the brushless motor, trimmed down the 23t hardened pinion and sat that in too. All looks tidy, though in the pic you might notice the shaft is horredously close to the inner edge of the gearbox.. not quite touching! And that's with the motor mount on the correct way too :huh: 

I also replaced the shock oil with 30wt all round, can feel the difference in it all ready, a lot more smoother and not so springy..

Added stainless screws too as I was getting sick of the stock steel screw heads rounding off - and that's keeping the Allen key nice n square too. Look better anyway and they won't strip as before. 

All thats left to do now is fit the brace across the top and solder the larger connections for the esc (from the motor). 

Plans for the future - I've got my eyes on a set of alloy wheels for it, so will no doubt bid for those very soon, they'll complement its look. And one thing I would like to see FTX produce is an ali gearbox casing! I'd deffo invest in one of those..

PS - scrap the photo, the website isn't playing ball in uploading any pictures for some reason...?!

4 minutes ago, t2boats said:

WOOHOO!! Came home today to an email from MS saying my Outlaw (the Xmas prize) will be delivered tomorrow - fantastic! I'll be making that into an SCT :ph34r:

waiting for updates :D im also thinking on making a SCT with mine even tho i love how it is :)

• Like 1

I've got a few sets of wheels here for my SCT which I race from time to time, a spare shell too so will pop the wheels on, might have to lower the rear suspension a bit so will see how the shell sits on top then. I've got another GoolRC 4300kv 540size motor here, will use that with the 17t pinion on 2S and 120a esc (incase a 3S should jump into the tray one day).. 

I'll pop a few pix up later on today :D

Took delivery of another Outlaw today, thank you MSUK for the Xmas prize, I was chuffed to bits, I never win anything so thanks a million! :D

Once inside the house I set to with changing the wheels and shell on the Outlaw as I'm converting it to a Short Course Truck (seen as my son didn't want it, "No Daddy I want an Outback instead"... fine...I'll keep it than, ha!)

In the pix below you'll see the different wheels/tyres and some simple adjustments made to accommodate an SCT body. 

It's been fitted out with the following:

GoolRC 4300kv motor

120Amp ESC

13kg metal geared servo

30wt shock oil in front

25wt shock in the rears 

FTX front ali steering arms/knuckles/castors

and will run 2S or 3S on stock 17t pinion.

At first when mounting the body my suspicions were confirmed with the rear suspension being too high in its stock format, it needed lowering. Easy enough to do! This particular Outlaw had the shocks in a different position to my original, so the front shocks' upper screws were moved to the centre holes in the shock tower, lifting the front end slightly. I'm liking how it looks so far anyway, the wheelbase is spot on for the 1/10 shell (wheelbase of 320mm) just need to buy the following to finish things off:

Steel rear prop shaft

SCT body shell from somewhere

Rear ali FTX hubs

17 & 23tooth FTX ali motor mounts

Some rear body posts to suit, stock lug posts are too short..

IMG_0957.JPG

IMG_0958.JPG

IMG_0960.JPG