• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Outlaw Ultra-4 & Outlaw SCT Conversion

t2boats

2 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Agreed the stock tyres work just fine off-road. I have Rock Crushers on my Outback and find they perform nearly the same as the stock tyres off-road with just a tiny bit less grip. Do look good though.

John

Whats the compound like on the crushers, harder than stock Outback?

30 minutes ago, t2boats said:

Whats the compound like on the crushers, harder than stock Outback?

They feel about the same softness. Think it's the bigger tread blocks of the crushers that mean there's less edges to grip with. 

I had a set of the crushers so decided to fit them when I went with the spoked wheels. Easier than trying to remove the stock tyres from the wheels.

John

Edited by johninderby

Yeah that's what's putting me off buying a set for the Outlaw, yes they look amazing and so scale compared to the real thing, but I don't think they'd be close to the stock tyres in terms of traction. Besides, I've still got another full set of Outlaw wheels/tyres here :whistling:

• 1 month later...

Quick update - made a few developments with the Outlaw SCT today, it's now 2WD (front prop shaft removed) and 17t ali FTX motor mount fitted. Will be looking into how I can remove the front driveshafts as there's still some rolling resistance from them. Sat the KillerBody shell on to it and measuring things up ready to attach a set of posts. Won't be too long and it'll be in action!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Isle of Wight Basher said:

Not wishing to teach you how to suck eggs, but to remove the driveshafts there is a spring around the axle that holds the pin for the UJ in place, just lift the start of the spring with a stanley blade and twist the spring off. The pin then comes out and your left with bare axles. 

Thanks buddy that's superb advice! I'm glad you've said that. Haven't had a proper look yet but now I know what to search for I'll take a look. I

aim to use 2S with this model with it being 2WD, get some sideways action in videos :rolleyes:  Perhaps wang a 3S through it for a speed trial :P 

Will try get some time tomorrow to mount the body posts, post up some pix if possible..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've used IoW Bashers technique and it's a peach.

Might be working in Hakin for a few weeks, anywhere near you?

3 hours ago, chewbacca said:

I've used IoW Bashers technique and it's a peach.

Might be working in Hakin for a few weeks, anywhere near you?

It certainly is mate! That's in Milford, about 10mins from mine near H'West.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, t2boats said:

It certainly is mate! That's in Milford, about 10mins from mine near H'West.

Cool. Might have to meet for a bash!

2 hours ago, t2boats said:

Certainly yeah! PM me when you're over and we'll sort something out :good:

Turns out that job fell through. But that don't mean we can't still bash :rc_car:

On 01/08/2017 at 19:13, t2boats said:

No way! I used to run a track in Bancyfelin donkeys years ago.. didn't know you were so close mate. 

When was that?

2 hours ago, chewbacca said:

When was that?

Crikey, must be 2005 / 2006 we set up in Bancyfelin, there for 2yrs, then we moved to Templeton Airfield. Had a great track there! Lasted around 4yrs there. Lack of bums on seats killed the club. We had a mailing list of over 45 people in pembs and surrounding Carmarthenshire and ceredigion with largescale petrol off-road rc. Sometimes we'd have a healthy turnout and other days it was barron.. 

On 02/08/2017 at 21:46, t2boats said:

Crikey, must be 2005 / 2006 we set up in Bancyfelin, there for 2yrs, then we moved to Templeton Airfield. Had a great track there! Lasted around 4yrs there. Lack of bums on seats killed the club. We had a mailing list of over 45 people in pembs and surrounding Carmarthenshire and ceredigion with largescale petrol off-road rc. Sometimes we'd have a healthy turnout and other days it was barron.. 

I was living in Carmarthen at that time! Unfortunately it was 6 years before I got my first RC lol

2 hours ago, chewbacca said:

I was living in Carmarthen at that time! Unfortunately it was 6 years before I got my first RC lol

Can't believe how quick time has gone.. doesn't seem that long ago now. Shame we had to fold it, we'd invested alot

of money and time into setting it up and keeping it afloat, until it reached a point where we couldn't do it anymore. I've got a vid on YouTube of it with my FG Beetle and it's knackered steering servo haha..

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, hamradioguy said:

Done your mod to mine t2boats , hoping to get it out and try it on Thursday :D

Coolio! Hopefully you'll get the set up spot on so it doesn't lift that wheel :good:

Craig

• 4 weeks later...

I've seen a number videos over the last few years using a very clever way of filming their RC's, so I've been fiddling around making a 360degree swivel camera boom. Used a length of 22mm plastic conduit pipe, a castor wheel, some drain pipe to mount it on, some car wheel weights to help balance things out, and a mobile phone holder to shoot the action. Hopefully get out tomorrow and make a quick video if this weather subsides... :huh:

IMG_4028.JPG

IMG_4029.JPG

• Like 2