• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Outback Ranger

t2boats

2 hours ago, suvv said:

that looks awsome was that built off the outback chassie

You on about Wabom's Bratback I take it? If so, yes it's an Outback, but with a Tamiya Subaru Brat shell. Really suits it! His development of it starts several pages back. Enjoy!

• Like 1

Hey guys, new to the scene but I'm obsessed already :D. Loving the thread really cool to see everyone setups and what can be done!

I have bought a outback ftx about a week ago, done all the easy free/cheep mods and took it for a few spins in the woods near me. Was real chuffed with it until I managed to but the little 370 motor out!:crying:

Looking to upgrade it to a 540 motor with the maverick scout gearbox. I am wondering though, is it possible to run this on the stock esc or do i need to upgrade this Also? If so any suggestions on parts needed would be appreciated :lol: 

Cheers! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MuddyAxle said:

Hey guys, new to the scene but I'm obsessed already :D. Loving the thread really cool to see everyone setups and what can be done!

I have bought a outback ftx about a week ago, done all the easy free/cheep mods and took it for a few spins in the woods near me. Was real chuffed with it until I managed to but the little 370 motor out!:crying:

Looking to upgrade it to a 540 motor with the maverick scout gearbox. I am wondering though, is it possible to run this on the stock esc or do i need to upgrade this Also? If so any suggestions on parts needed would be appreciated :lol: 

Cheers! 

Welcome @MuddyAxle always great to hear some else is enjoying these rigs!

the main problem I've heard of with the 540 conversion is the diff lockers stripping out due to them being made of plastic! Some people have fitted the complete scout axles as well, they have metal lockers. That conversion also increases the width of the truck which helps with stability but in my personal opinion makes them look a little strange. 

Ive fitted a hobbywing quicrun 1060 esc in mine (huge improvement) but due to the standard esc being a combined unit with the radio receiver you would need to fit a replacement radio too, should you go that route.  

I changed my esc and radio quite soon after getting my outback and have only ever burnt out 1 motor in about a years worth of play time. Which almost makes me think the combined system they use might be to blame for the premature motor failure? But who's knows?

hope this is of some use to you. 

Plenty of helpful folk on here should you need any help!

adam. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, t2boats said:

You on about Wabom's Bratback I take it? If so, yes it's an Outback, but with a Tamiya Subaru Brat shell. Really suits it! His development of it starts several pages back. Enjoy!

yer i was meaning the brat thanks i think the shells are the one major put off for me about the outback but having seen that they can have other ones fitted and arent some weird sizing then i might just have to take a punt when i get paid 

6 hours ago, johninderby said:

Just bought a used outback with the blue Toyota shell, would you happen to know if I need to but that motor plate to run the 390 motor/ i was planning on using a smaller pinion and larger wheels

20 hours ago, Wabom1981 said:

Welcome @MuddyAxle always great to hear some else is enjoying these rigs!

the main problem I've heard of with the 540 conversion is the diff lockers stripping out due to them being made of plastic! Some people have fitted the complete scout axles as well, they have metal lockers. That conversion also increases the width of the truck which helps with stability but in my personal opinion makes them look a little strange. 

Ive fitted a hobbywing quicrun 1060 esc in mine (huge improvement) but due to the standard esc being a combined unit with the radio receiver you would need to fit a replacement radio too, should you go that route.  

I changed my esc and radio quite soon after getting my outback and have only ever burnt out 1 motor in about a years worth of play time. Which almost makes me think the combined system they use might be to blame for the premature motor failure? But who's knows?

hope this is of some use to you. 

Plenty of helpful folk on here should you need any help!

Very useful info my man thank you :)

Looks like I'm going to go down this route and order lots of new bits, when I'm finished I will report back with the finished product. 

I'll have loads of stock parts spare after this so i might build a little rig for my son to come crawing with me. He loves my truck already so hopefully I can find an ebay special that's a half finished project. 

Cheers 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, t2boats said:

Made a quick video of what mods I've done to my Outback..

Thanks for a really great video, enjoyed it :thumbsup:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, suvv said:

thanks for the vid can i ask what you ment when you said snipped the shock absorbers i couldent really see what you had chopped off

Its the rubber tubing you see around your shock stems. As the cars axles vary they'll eventually bottom out on the tubing. This prevents the shock from compressing any further which limits the suspension travel of the car. Just by snipping off a few mm's on each one really improves its travel and can scale rougher terrain a lot easier.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Wabom1981 said:

Top video @t2boats really informative! As you say such a capable rig from standard. I really rate the stock tyres myself, offer loads of grip. 

Looking forward to seeing the progress of your new modifications!

Cheers Wabom, I'm looking forward to getting it sorted. Going to make a mounting plate for the new gearbox as it needs to be higher than the stock box. So rather than drilling the chassis plate I'll mount the new plate to the existing holes on the original stock chassis plate, and have holes drilled ready in the new mount plate to take the new gearbox. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Wabom1981 said:

new carisma with you guys?

NO NO NO NO OBJECTIONS

Edited by mamodman
  • Haha 1