• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

rc body reenforcing

missions1

I did a savage xl flux shell and it used a tube and a half so I'd guess you would use roughly the same on a SC shell. 

If done properly then it pays for itself, my savage shell went to hell and back and was still in good nick after months of abuse, my hyper 7 shell is still perfect after 18+ months (including a 90+mph crash) 

when doing it make sure you get some washers that fit over the body mounts and shoe goo them on to the body to stop it ripping around the mounts

• Like 1

1 tube should be plenty I only used 2 tubes on an X2 shell and some sellers give you a small

spatula to spread it if you warm the shell with a hair dryer it's easy to mould the mesh tape to the body 

I also use it to start the drying process off to 

Before you start mate mask up the windows and anything you don't want to goo. It really does get everywhere. 

It's easy to apply but tedious think of smearing thick tar. The applicator gets gummed up way too often too. Ie credit card to smear it on with.

Next time I think I'm going to try to use a brush but stubby bristles so it's firm. 

But once done it's the best method by far. It doesn't peel off after a run like tape and that spray on stuff. bed liner I think. 

My revo 3.3 body was used for a year and didn't have a single split on it.  In fact still looked new being a grass basher. 

one tube should do 1/12 and under but I think a 2nd tube will be needed for anything bigger even if it only needs alittle more. 

Make sure the tube is the biggest too. 110ml or something  £6-7 

E6000 is a cheaper option and very good but not as good as shoe goo. Nor as firm once set almost too bouncy tbh. Shoo goo seems to melt into the Lexan bonding for life.. 

I found it for around  £6 a tube the last time I used it. Hpi baja 5sc body lol.  3 tubes another still to go. I've seen it at £10 a tube tho too. I think  £6 is a good price grab two. 

Edited by RCbutcher

21 minutes ago, RCbutcher said:

Before you start mate mask up the windows and anything you don't want to goo. It really does get everywhere. 

It's easy to apply but tedious think of smearing thick tar. The applicator gets gummed up way too often too. Ie credit card to smear it on with.

Next time I think I'm going to try to use a brush but stubby bristles so it's firm. 

But once done it's the best method by far. It doesn't peel off after a run like tape and that spray on stuff. bed liner I think. 

My revo 3.3 body was used for a year and didn't have a single split on it.  In fact still looked new being a grass basher. 

one tube should do 1/12 and under but I think a 2nd tube will be needed for anything bigger even if it only needs alittle more. 

Make sure the tube is the biggest too. 110ml or something  £6-7 

E6000 is a cheaper option and very good but not as good as shoe goo. Nor as firm once set almost too bouncy tbh. Shoo goo seems to melt into the Lexan bonding for life.. 

I found it for around  £6 a tube the last time I used it. Hpi baja 5sc body lol.  3 tubes another still to go. I've seen it at £10 a tube tho too. I think  £6 is a good price grab two. 

Cheers for the info .. ive bought 1tube 110ml at mo see how I go :)

• 4 months later...

Quick question about the drywall tape. I thought I would tape it up one day and shoe goo the next. The problem I have is the drywall tape is hardly sticky at all and is just peeling off. Does that sound right or do I have some **** drywall tape here? It was "no nonsense" tape from screwfix.

35 minutes ago, TheDriver said:

Quick question about the drywall tape. I thought I would tape it up one day and shoe goo the next. The problem I have is the drywall tape is hardly sticky at all and is just peeling off. Does that sound right or do I have some **** drywall tape here? It was "no nonsense" tape from screwfix.

I find it's sticky enough to do a section at a time, then shoe goo, just don't leave it for more than a few minutes or it will start lifting.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well I finally got round to doing my shell and it looks OK. Seems a bit more flexible! 

However, the downsides... It really really stinks!! Also the glue, if you agitate it too much on the body starts to remove the paint. Not a problem for me as the bodies I have are pants! 

So question.... Does shoe goo stink? And does it damage the paint work? I still need to do my losi and I'm not gonna use this glue on that! 

Cheers