• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Carisma GT24 Owners

johninderby

Chopped the front splitter off and restickered it slightly. When i cut the splitter off i did it by running a blade down the crease and snapping it off, might take some more off the bumper but ill see how it goes. Also mounted the body as high as possable, probably too high but at least it will clear stuff abit more ,  Now ive stickered myself into upgrading it to losi shocks! 12000 motor, 2s, carbon...........

Round two with the cat now, i wonder if she'll full-on punch it like she did yesterday?:D

P1050365.JPG

P1050363.JPG

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Noj said:

Stock Esc 2s capable?

Yes. A 2s batery is listed as an option for it.

Hope the cheap shocks fit but if not these will fit when they come into stock. Although at 34 quid for four v the Losi ones at 10 quid a set. Ouch.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/carisma-gt24-aluminium-adjustable-oil-shock-set-2-/rc-car-products/395583

John

Edited by johninderby

I really hope those losi shocks work out ok, i dont fancy paying £36 for them, having said that if it was a buggy at least theyd be on show!

I thought id take the cover off to have a look. Not sure quite how much of a fiddle its going to be to go much further, motor change might be fun. Whilst undoing the screws it struck me that it might be worthwhile getting a decent quality tiny screwdriver for it, the screws themselves look good but you need to be extra careful not to round them off, so it looks like the screwdriver is similar to the sort youd find in a christmas cracker, actualy cracker ones might be better. Ive never looked forward to pulling crackers before (not strictly true;)) I guess looking for screwdrivers for use on a pair of glasses might be the way to go.

P1050367.JPG

2 hours ago, A Return said:

I really hope those losi shocks work out ok, i dont fancy paying £36 for them, having said that if it was a buggy at least theyd be on show!

I thought id take the cover off to have a look. Not sure quite how much of a fiddle its going to be to go much further, motor change might be fun. Whilst undoing the screws it struck me that it might be worthwhile getting a decent quality tiny screwdriver for it, the screws themselves look good but you need to be extra careful not to round them off, so it looks like the screwdriver is similar to the sort youd find in a christmas cracker, actualy cracker ones might be better. Ive never looked forward to pulling crackers before (not strictly true;)) I guess looking for screwdrivers for use on a pair of glasses might be the way to go.

This is a decent set of miniature philips screwdrivers but not very expensive. I've found this brand is pretty good. Japan made as well not Chinese.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000TGJSQ2/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item

John

Edited by johninderby

Yes the little Zippy pack fits in quite nicely. Wires on it could do with being shorter but there is just enough room to curl them up.

Will get the camera out for the test run....that is when it has dried up a bit outside. Cold wet morning although the sun is coming out so things should dry up,nicely.  :rolleyes:

Been to shop for milk and a few other essentials. No way am I venturing out other than to the corner shop today. It will be bedlam in town today.  :insane:

John

Edited by johninderby

Ah, the 'joy' of having to keep a leg elevated, no mad town centres to deal with....

Will be having a run of the GT later though, would be rude not to (just don't tell my surgeon In standing up :ssh:)

Test run with 2s LiPo. Cutting off the splitter from the body has made a tremendous improvement. Without the splitter catching on the smallest bump the GT24R runs much more smoothly on rough tarmac. :thumbsup:  Have to be very gentle with the throttle though as it just spins out if you try accelerating too hard. Would need a smooth surface to get it up to full speed.

Just at the end of the test the steering stopped working. First it wouldn't turn right and then wouldn't turn at all. Thought I'd broken the servo but a little wiggling of the wheels with my fingers and something popped back into place and the steering was fine. Couldn't see if there was a servo saver fitted but it seems like it.

John

Edited by johninderby

that ground is slightly better than the surface i have at work, tried mine at home this morning on smooth tarmac and its much more enjoyable, even so its easy to see the difference in performance with the 2s in your vid. It still takes a bit of distance on 1s to wind it right up to full speed in a straight line on smooth tarmac.

The Graphene 1s batteries have a lot more punch than the stock LiPo so do get up to speed a lot quicker. Not as quick as 2s of course but easier to drive.

A better ESC and radio would help with 2s as the start could be softened up to make it more controlable. But still a lot of fun on 2s though as is. :yes:

John

Certainly livens up with the extra cell....

Had a similar issue with steering, only going right...Ackerman seemed stuck, quick wiggle, normal service resumed.......until the drive train began making a strange noise....

Both diffs turn freely by hand by turning one wheel, try to move the car by hand and there is some resistance....to investigate further....:017:

Having a few thoughts about which way to go with it. Either leave stock with the Graphene 1s or for 2s change to the Quicrun WP16BL30 as it can be programed for a soft start that will put a lot less strain on the drivetrain as well as making it easier to control. Have a micro MG servo that could be fitted with a bit of effort to beef up the steering. Possibilities, possibilities. :017:

Anyway MS has posted the shocks off today.

John

Edited by johninderby

Sticky steering. 

Found a cause for the occasional bit of steering sticking. The central part of the steering link slides againts the inside of the chassis and any little piece of dirt or grit stops it from sliding smoothly. A drop of silicone lubricant will free it up though. 

John

Edited by johninderby

I've wanted the GT24B for around a year now, unfortunately whenever I've been able to spare the funds something else has come up. Seeing this thread so active has reignited my "need" for something tiny :D Now I have the cash I'm torn, the rally and the buggy are my favourites look-wise, but the extra ground clearance of the truggy and MT is very appealing. I'll mostly be using it at the Skatepark and in the lane at the back of my house, I guess I have a decision to make! Any pointers to push me in the right direction?