• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

rusterl vxl upgrades

ProBlitz

hi, im thinking on upgrade a few things on the rustler probably from tower i was thinking on spend around 100$ i had i few things in mind i will leave a pic with the cart, please tell what you guys think about it.

upgrades.jpg

and probably some aluminium caster blocks.

Edited by ProBlitz

Drop all the ally, not required. A full compliment of RPM plastic upgrades is sufficient - check RCMart, could be cheaper and unlikely to get hit with duties.

Traxxas big bore shocks are overpriced crap, imho.

I RPM'd everything on mine, arms, towers, steering, hubs etc....and used non Traxxas bearings throughout, as they are overpriced rubbish! 

Shock wise, perhaps a little harsh on the big bores.... Thinking back, I did fit them to my Rustler and they were vastly better than those fitted to my Slash 4x4 VXL..... 

I'll get mi coat.....;)

Wait until parts break then get RPM parts. You may not break anything. As far as the shocks I think they are OK for general bashing, maybe try another wt oil, and if caps pop off when jumping then replace with alloy ones, and if shafts bend then get titanium ones. You maybe better off saving for a new motor/ESC. Rcmart is recommended, usually quick delivery.

Tbone bumpers also recommended, rear one protects motor.

Edited by locky

RPM can be great for many things, but I had RPM carriers on my MERV - green to go with the Grave Digger MT look and they were, erm, crap!!

Kept ripping pillow balls out so had to go to alloy - problem solved and MILES better.

Point is, be selective - RPM arms are tough and flexible - perfect for a basher.

Carriers / hubs are probably better 9/10 if they're alloy, and they'll be a much better, more stable support for the bearings - give you a more consistent, smoother ride.

My £0.02.

Al.

• Like 1

probably gonna stay with stock shocks for now... still between rpm parts or aluminium... the ones i need the most are caster blocks since a "broke" one and rear carriers.

and the aluminium bellcranks wouldnt make much of a diference on steering and handling?

18 hours ago, Noj said:

Drop all the ally, not required. A full compliment of RPM plastic upgrades is sufficient - check RCMart, could be cheaper and unlikely to get hit with duties.

Traxxas big bore shocks are overpriced crap, imho.

Gotta disagree there. For the money I dont think you can beat Big Bores for a Rustler (other than finding Losi SCTE Shocks cheap). And RPM is possibly the most over rated brand in RC. Its too soft and flexible and bends other things.... back in the day when Traxxas used 5x8 bushings, RPM Carriers with 5x11 bearings were a necessity, but now I wouldnt bother with them. IVe had full alloy and full RPM Rustlers, and you need a balance between the two, but full RPM is a downgrade imo.

As much as I like the big bores, with a $100 budget id go with:

Alloy Shock Caps

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?I=LXJG94&P=8
Alloy Castor Blocks

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCSFX&P=K

Alloy Bulkhead or Tie Rod

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCSFN&P=K

RPM Wide Bumper (looks daft but works)
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEV91&P=K

I like the alloy knuckles, but get them if you can afford them. RPM Arms from the front are great if you have alloy castors and alloy bulkhead, dont really need them on the rear, but its nice for it to match I guess.

Edited by Guns

A lot of different opinions... my initial ideia was to have some aluminium and some plastic but I'm still divided... I still can add the big bores and the hub carriers on what you suggested. The 25% discount is still working.

Enviado do meu EVA-L09 através de Tapatalk

Having been in a similar situation to you recently with my 5yr old daughters Slash 2WD, mainly with her smacking into immobile objects and our other trucks and busting c-hubs, bearing carriers, hinge pins etc etc.  I did some research on the various Traxxas Slash forums, and decided to go with RPM bearing carriers, STRC ali C-hubs, STRC hardened inner hinge pins and STRC kingpins.  Since doing these mods, no more problems.  I also got some ali shock caps for the ultra shocks, though didn't go with the ti shafts.

It seems that on Slash/Rustler etc the RPM C-hubs are actually a down grade as said above, as the softer plastic bends more and causes more kingpin failures.

Yes... for what I have seen so far that rpm problem seems common I saw that yesterday on video, I was thinking on aluminium castor and steering blocks and rear carriers for the shocks I will probably get the big bores or leave the stock ones and get the big bores later.
I have searched on a lot of forums and YouTube there's a lot of different opinions :(

If i could only have one upgrade for a Rusterl though it would be an Aluminium front buckhead or at least a tie bar. 

Hmm... it would be only a durability improvement or it affects performance? Mine seems to be ok.

Anza do some nice upgrades. I was always ripping the rear axles apart on my Slash untill i got the Anza ones. Hinge Pin set, Hinge pin brace and rear axle kit are worth the money. Caster blocks and hubs are one thing that i would always break, worth an upgrade too.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/anza-rc/rc-car-manufacturers/1232

You'll get lots of different opinions so not easy to make your mind up.

Have you broken the stock ones?

Yep i broke one...
And I looked on traxxas forums and YouTube all that stuff and it's just like you said there's a ton of different opinions...

I looked at anza products they seem nice but they price it's a bit higher and the postage would be high...
I will probably buy from tower for the things I need with postage customs all of that seems to be the best place from the ones I saw so far.

Bash it break it fix it don't get sucked into the never ending money pit of upgrades for Traxxas vehicles it's mental ! Half the most needed upgrades are a waste of time and money 

Just my 2 pennies and might even save you a few pennies ;)