• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

*New* Turbs, Revo 3.3.

Turbs

Hey all, 

Just joined the MSUK forum today and so far I'm impressed with the wealth of knowledge on here. 

I've been bitten by the rc bug for the 2nd time now. 

I originally got into nitro cars about 10 years ago. I acquired a Thunder Tiger TS4-N which I had great fun with. Unfortunately our house got broken into and that along with other things... Including my real life car got stolen. 

I'm now a further and my son is at the age where he's starting to appreciate all these goodies in life. He loves cars and loves my Traxxas Revo 3.3 I've just got hold of. 

I'm planning on making it platinum racing spec, already ordered a ton of parts from the US which should arrive hopefully this week or next. 

I have some ideas for painting the revo platinum shell. Found a great design I would like to use on it, pictures below. 

I'm a 34 year old Geordie living in Yorkshire, a family man and a big geek at heart ?. 

Thanks for having me. 

Ian5.jpg

Ian4.jpg

Traxxas_Bdy_Revo_Platinum_Ed_Clear.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/09/2016 at 18:00, Turbs said:

Hey all, 

Just joined the MSUK forum today and so far I'm impressed with the wealth of knowledge on here. 

I've been bitten by the rc bug for the 2nd time now. 

I originally got into nitro cars about 10 years ago. I acquired a Thunder Tiger TS4-N which I had great fun with. Unfortunately our house got broken into and that along with other things... Including my real life car got stolen. 

I'm now a further and my son is at the age where he's starting to appreciate all these goodies in life. He loves cars and loves my Traxxas Revo 3.3 I've just got hold of. 

I'm planning on making it platinum racing spec, already ordered a ton of parts from the US which should arrive hopefully this week or next. 

I have some ideas for painting the revo platinum shell. Found a great design I would like to use on it, pictures below. 

I'm a 34 year old Geordie living in Yorkshire, a family man and a big geek at heart ?. 

Thanks for having me. 

Ian5.jpg

Ian4.jpg

Traxxas_Bdy_Revo_Platinum_Ed_Clear.jpg

Good luck with the painting.

I use 3m vehicle spray, many will use different I'm sure.

Top tip.

Go get yourself some vehicle sprayers fine line tape, your gonne need it, that paint design , on the buggy shell, looks deceptively tricky!

• Like 1

We only use tamiya ps paint here mayb another brand suited to lexan painting. But car paint is usually a big no no. 

Unless that 3m paint is the exception lol. 

Liquid mask might be an option for masking too some swear by it.  

I have a revo 3.3 thread on here it's called "thunder revo from the beginning" but I sold the truck last year to try brushless. But the revo is still my favourite nitro of all. 

Yeah I was planning on going the Tamiya / liquid mask route. However I'm having a change of mind on the type of body and paint scheme... I'm indecisive, always have been ?

I'll see if I can find your thread Butcher. The Revo may be old but I'm loving the thing and how customisable it is. 

Thanks for the warm welcomes.

11 hours ago, RCbutcher said:

We only use tamiya ps paint here mayb another brand suited to lexan painting. But car paint is usually a big no no. 

Unless that 3m paint is the exception lol. 

Liquid mask might be an option for masking too some swear by it.  

I have a revo 3.3 thread on here it's called "thunder revo from the beginning" but I sold the truck last year to try brushless. But the revo is still my favourite nitro of all. 

I've generally had no issues on polycarb shells.

I have had paint stress peel on areas upon hard crashes with lightweight lexan.

You are quite right though, tamiya paint has superior flexibility, although less colour range, due to obvious market limitations.

On the revo note,  never actually had the pleasure of owning or working on one!!!  How do those traverse mounted shocks hold up / affect handling vs. A normal horizontal setup?

• Like 2

Std the shocks can be saggy I built mine up to 12lbs or something twice the Std weight I think. Then fitted some Integy springs 20lbs rated I think. Then they felt perfect. Blue springs front and bright yellow at rear. 

There's tons of stronger springs around now from 12lbs to 20lbs I'm sure. 

The shocks are very good too highly tunable, there's two kinds old metal bodied ones. Then Teflon coated black bodied newer shocks with gold "nitride" coated shafts. Can't go wrong with those shocks and better springs.  

I think they still look like the most modern nitro trucks around. Most pull off the optidrive,reverse and blue starter wire only blue wire.  Makes it easier to live with but you'll need a glow ignitor. 

Just never think about converting a revo into an erevo unless you use the erevo chassis and gearbox. Mayb bl erevo diffs too. 

The nitro chassis ends up out of balance badly and the lipos are exposed to impacts.  

Also there's afew more engines around now that apparantly fit the revo.  Hobbyking even listed something once a nice looking engine too. 

I hated my experience with the trx 3.3, but I love the trx 2.5r. There both the same engine but the 3.3 has a bigger bore and cooling head.  Everything else is the same so it's no suprise they snap rods lol.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RCbutcher said:

Std the shocks can be saggy I built mine up to 12lbs or something twice the Std weight I think. Then fitted some Integy springs 20lbs rated I think. Then they felt perfect. Blue springs front and bright yellow at rear. 

There's tons of stronger springs around now from 12lbs to 20lbs I'm sure. 

The shocks are very good too highly tunable, there's two kinds old metal bodied ones. Then Teflon coated black bodied newer shocks with gold "nitride" coated shafts. Can't go wrong with those shocks and better springs.  

I think they still look like the most modern nitro trucks around. Most pull off the optidrive,reverse and blue starter wire only blue wire.  Makes it easier to live with but you'll need a glow ignitor. 

Just never think about converting a revo into an erevo unless you use the erevo chassis and gearbox. Mayb bl erevo diffs too. 

The nitro chassis ends up out of balance badly and the lipos are exposed to impacts.  

Also there's afew more engines around now that apparantly fit the revo.  Hobbyking even listed something once a nice looking engine too. 

I hated my experience with the trx 3.3, but I love the trx 2.5r. There both the same engine but the 3.3 has a bigger bore and cooling head.  Everything else is the same so it's no suprise they snap rods lol.  

Yes I had heard of the sharing of internal parts on traxxas engines being an issue

Thanks for the info, I'm sure one day a revo will swing my way