• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What one to go for..?

HellaFlush

Hey, 

Want to get into the RC drifting scene. What would you recommend for me? Not new to RC at all, just new to making them slide. 

Already have a trackstar 5200KV 80a combo. And a servo. So just need a roller basically. Would love it to be a kit and have a vast variety of upgrade paths. 

Cheers

Matthew

If you want a kit to build, a decent budget chassis is the Sakura D4. AWD or RWD options available. 

MST do their Pro chassis in kit for for the AWD Counter Steer chassis or plastic spec for the FFX which is rear wheel drive.

Their newer chassis come pre built as VIP spec. Worth the money but you don't get to build it up.

Yokomo make great chassis in kit form too.

All three of those brands have a ton of upgrades available :)

I'd say to just straight to RWD, most people are running it now and it's a lot more rewarding.

23 hours ago, scratcher said:

If you want a kit to build, a decent budget chassis is the Sakura D4. AWD or RWD options available. 

MST do their Pro chassis in kit for for the AWD Counter Steer chassis or plastic spec for the FFX which is rear wheel drive.

Their newer chassis come pre built as VIP spec. Worth the money but you don't get to build it up.

Yokomo make great chassis in kit form too.

All three of those brands have a ton of upgrades available :)

I'd say to just straight to RWD, most people are running it now and it's a lot more rewarding.

By any chance do you think a Sakura Zero S/Turnigy TD10 would be a good place to start. I've already got one for on road/shelfqueen. So might get another as they're only like £50 and go from there?

I would like to go RWD, although AWD just appeals to me more. 

Sakura D4 would probably be the best option for me on the list :)

A few people have got touring chassis to drift okay but the weight distribution and adjustment never seems to be as well suited as a dedicated drift chassis.

I've tried a couple of RWD D4s and they run really well with a bit of fettling. Millions of parts floating around for them in aluminum and carbon.

15 minutes ago, scratcher said:

A few people have got touring chassis to drift okay but the weight distribution and adjustment never seems to be as well suited as a dedicated drift chassis.

I've tried a couple of RWD D4s and they run really well with a bit of fettling. Millions of parts floating around for them in aluminum and carbon.

Ahh I see, not quite as simple as I thought. I'll save up some pennies and probably go for the D4 4WD :) 

Also what drift tracks are there around the South-East. Some what near to MK my self and hopefully in a few months should be driving on the road 

That's the one. I forgot how much of a deal it is!

Oh cool. There's quite a few people around MK that are into it. Sadly the nearest track, Soul RC has closed it's doors. The next one would be High Wycombe. There are a couple further north too.

On 21/09/2016 at 17:44, scratcher said:

That's the one. I forgot how much of a deal it is!

Oh cool. There's quite a few people around MK that are into it. Sadly the nearest track, Soul RC has closed it's doors. The next one would be High Wycombe. There are a couple further north too.

Ahh I see, high Wycombe is just under a hour away so not too bad. Can you just go down there and practise? Looking at the website it's just for racing nights and that's it?? 

Never been to a track before so have no idea how it all works :/ cheers

10 hours ago, scratcher said:

Yeah, they have drift days. I'm not sure when they are. I've only managed to run my car once this year so I haven't looked into it.

Sweet, probably be down there end of the year/early next year once i've got everything setup :)

Watched a few videos of the RWD D4 and I think I might actually go for it, just would need a gyro to help control it if i'm right.