• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

why are xt-90 connectors hard to solder

B4D TEMP3R 303

I know how to solder just fine never had a problem in the past when soldering but these xt-90 connectors just don't seem to want to bond with my batteries wires. when I watched a video it looked **** easy they just soldered right on not these ****ers. anyone got any tips or know why and don't say get different connectors 

8 minutes ago, B4D TEMP3R 303 said:

I know how to solder just fine never had a problem in the past when soldering but these xt-90 connectors just don't seem to want to bond with my batteries wires. when I watched a video it looked **** easy they just soldered right on not these ****ers. anyone got any tips or know why and don't say get different connectors 

I hold wire in place on the connector with some small needle nose pliers while holding the iron on there at same time. Pliers squash wire onto connector as it melts. Leave for a few seconds then carefully pry them off.

1 minute ago, dazp1976 said:

I hold wire in place on the connector with some small needle nose pliers while holding the iron on there at same time. Pliers squash wire onto connector as it melts. Leave for a few seconds then carefully pry them off.

honest to god that don't work

1 minute ago, Noj said:

What wattage is your iron, is the tip in good condition and which solder are you using?

Its adjustable I had it on max at one point and idk the tip should be not used it much I normally use my other one and idk just solder lol

Ah, but if max is say, 50w then it may not be kicking out enough heat ;)

Tin wire, heat bullet and melt solder into bullet, then hold wire onto bullet, heat, wire sinks into solder, hold until cool, repeat for wire 2.

4 minutes ago, Noj said:

Ah, but if max is say, 50w then it may not be kicking out enough heat ;)

Tin wire, heat bullet and melt solder into bullet, then hold wire onto bullet, heat, wire sinks into solder, hold until cool, repeat for wire 2.

tried that the solder don't wanna stick too the bullet that well it kinda does but its hard and even when I do get a bit of solder on the bullet just holding my iron on the bullet don't do much

use a bit of flux on the wire and connector first then tin both, the wire will absord a lot of solder. Then hold the soldering iron on the connector till you see solder going bright silver insert wire into connector while holding soldering iron to connector and keep holding till wire seats nicely into connector and you will feel the wire slide in easily, then take iron off while holding wire very still wait 30 seconds and you are done. To make my life easier I got a bit of old wood and drilled the same size hole in it for the connetor to sit in.

1 minute ago, sunny said:

use a bit of flux on the wire and connector first then tin both, the wire will absord a lot of solder. Then hold the soldering iron on the connector till you see solder going bright silver insert wire into connector while holding soldering iron to connector and keep holding till wire seats nicely into connector and you will feel the wire slide in easily, then take iron off while holding wire very still wait 30 seconds and you are done. To make my life easier I got a bit of old wood and drilled the same size hole in it for the connetor to sit in.

ok yh I'll try that tomoz then

1 minute ago, Noj said:

Should be plenty!

Flux it is then :good:

yh i was using it its doing my headin coz i just got the arrma kraton and cant use it coz it dont come with normal connectors so have to solder them on myself and i hate doing connecotrs at best of times lol

1 hour ago, B4D TEMP3R 303 said:

Hi chap, take this as a last verbal warning, please note this is a family friendly forum where offensive language, Inc partially starred out words is not allowed.

I managed it with a 40w Sealey comfortably with 10AWG when my 100w packed in. The solder I use atm is cored with Flux and melts like a gudun so I'm thinking flux has to be your beef.

Maybe get someone to do you a couple of short XT90 to 5.5 bullet or to EC5 converter cables if you get too rattled with it.