• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

problem with my air compressor

froggy8

hey guys, just got myself a air compressor, went and bought the hose and a blow gun. its one of these

http://www.screwfix.com/p/stanley-bostitch-c24-u-24ltr-air-compressor-240v/30039?kpid=30039&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product%20Listing%20Ads-_-Sales%20Tracking-_-sales%20tracking%20url&gclid=CLvMyufI684CFckW0wodqrIHLw

problem i am having is when the compressor has finished building the air and i pull the trigger on the blow gun, it gives out a gush of air then nothing. the gauge on the regulator goes straight down to zero and when i let go the trigger, the gauge starts going back up to 60 psi.

i really dont know why its doing that.

hoping someone on here can help me please

many thanks

are you sure the reg isnt set to 0psi output?, if all the valves are open and your reg is set and still nothing, i would say you have a faulty unit, id play with the reg first though, the tank maybe full but if your set at zero you will get zero

OK first of do you have two dials or one. 

Dual dial, one is the pressure in the tank and the other gauge is the regulator pressure. One tells you the tank is pressured upto 100psi thats how much air is in the tank.
the second is the regulation, how much air we allow the tool fitted to have.
ALL TOOLS will have a flow rate need, things like DA sanders and nail guns can be anything upto 125psi, so they need a lotta air pressure. on the other hand things like airbrushes and likes only need upto 50psi , so thats where the tools manual comes in. blow off guns around 20-30psi is a great start.

SINGLE DIAL, this is just a regulation gauge to set this , your best off having the air flowing through the blow gun and then winding down the regulation until needle sits where you require it, again its simple, run compressor up till it shuts down automaticly , now hold the trigger in on your blow gun and start to wind down the regulation knob until you hit the require PSI you want to run. thats it all done and your regulator is set to deliver say 30psi to the gun while its activated. (we use this same method with airbrushes ). if your dumping all that air at once you may find you need to allow the tank to refill again so stop the airflow through the tool then when tank is full again press trigger and wind that pressure down again, you may find the valve fully open so you may need to turn that pressure knob a fair bit before you see the regulation come into affect, rinse and repeat this until you have that pressure needle sitting where you need it for your tools output (20-30PSI for your blow off gun )

Compressor tank pressure, these days compressors auto shut down when the tank hits a set pressure limit . a pressure cut of switch is activated and cuts power to the pump system,  lets say it shuts down at 60psi and starts up again at 40psi. when we release air from tank the pressure drops down when it hits 40psi the pump kicks in and restarts the pressurization cycle back upto 60psi it will then auto shut down again. it does this to save the life of the pump system and save on electrical/fuel costs of a constant running pump system.

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, froggy8 said:

only just had chance to try this thing out.

i have took the gun off the hose and the air does continue to come out but only a tiny bit though.

sounds like you need to open the regulator more, keep it running but let it build up pressure in tank. so keep the gun fitted and leave it running till it stops itself. now trigger the gun and at the same time start to turn the regulator knob you will notice the air pressure starts to become more at a certain point ( cheap regulators are a pain so keep winding till air stops flowing or air comes out like a hurricane, then wind it back keeping an eye on the gauge till the needle sits at around 25-30psi , ideal for a blow off gun.