• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Boat recommendations.

Oh How Original

I've long wanted to join my friend at the boating lake and the other day I finally got to.

I really enjoyed it, had a go with his small brushless and also a large petrol and found it a very welcome change to ground RCs.

I'd like some recommendations please.

Ideally something not too small, so it's quite stable, but a max of 3s, I don't want something huge running 6s for example.

It's not going to be something I'll manage to do too often so I don't want too much invested, it'll be a once a month if I'm lucky situation.

With that in mind, I hope a budget of around £150 should secure me something?

I'm really not in the loop on boats at all, so forgive me if this isn't worth bothering with at that sort of money.

If anymore information is needed, just let me know, as I say, I'm not 'in the know' on boats, so consider me an absolute noob and go from there :lol:!

I was in the same boat as you (pun very much intended) and I looked at this more than once.

http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/245209/?gclid=Cj0KEQjwxLC9BRDb1dP8o7Op68IBEiQAwWggQHjnDbm9-QIuZ0P5O84-iFI3p1r54QdDA9AwauaVA64aAvqz8P8HAQ

But never bought one,seems to be quite regarded when you look online,nothing really bad said about it and it is quite big so you get quite a bit for your money although it is over your budget.

you need to work out how fast you can go/size of lake. you don't want something that can go the full length in a few seconds.   Also what will you be going up against.  As having a slower boat is no fun.  its not like RC cars  when the person in front could loose traction or flip over or hit a rut  giving you a chance of catching up.   If your just going to be messing around with loads of sharp turns then go for a monohull over a catamaran type of hull  as it has more chance of staying upright and not staying upside down.

10 minutes ago, wastegate said:

My HOR Rocket is in the 'For Sale' section. You only need a 2 channel radio and rx plus some Lipos. In fact if you collected I could give you 2 x 4 cell Lipos to go with it.

I did try to hook you guys up when I saw the sales advert... Seems that was deleted.... GRRRRRRR!!

• Like 1

On 14/08/2016 at 22:02, Carpmart said:

I did try to hook you guys up when I saw the sales advert... Seems that was deleted.... GRRRRRRR!!

I actually posted in his sales thread but he never got back to me.

Anyway, I bought a Thunder Tiger Avanti today, it was the biggest I could find without moving to 6s, I shall be running it on 3s, happily it takes exactly the same batteries as I'm using in my SCX10, which was a huge plus in it's favour, only 2200/2900, so run times won't be amazing but I have 5 of them so I should be good for a days blasting round the lake.

The lake isn't massive but it's a good size, I'm not too fussed about going up against others, it's very rare we will be going on busy days, so at most it'll be one other person using one boat.

He has a Shockwave, which is a bit smaller and IMO far too fast for it's size and weight, I flipped it and Ray did too.

So I wanted something running similar electrics but bigger/heavier, so it's more stable, it's also a deep V hull, which upon looking around, tend to be more stable, which should be perfect for my novice hands.

Hopefully hitting the lake this Friday to test it out, if the weather holds... Looking forward to it :D

• Like 1