• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Do tuned pipes make more heat?

Rory

Although the weathers been fairly warm recently, Ive noticed my JP3 exhaust on my lrp .28 is roasting hot, it was near 200F at some points - real burn your finger stuff! 

I was giving the car quite a hard time and on thick grass so it was working hard.  Would a more standard exhaust reduce temps - just thinking about what might keep the engine cooler.

It might be a case of a better exhaust flow permitting more efficient use of fuel, and also the engine to rev higher - more bangs = more heat ... possibly.

Al.

• Like 1

The way a tuned pipe works, getting hotter isn't likely. It's job is to use the pressure waves from exhaust pulses to push mixture back into the combustion chamber that would otherwise be lost when the exhaust port opens and the transfer ports send mixture in.

More likely is the fact that your engine is hotter due to the increased ambient temperatures, and the specfics of the weather affecting the finer poitns of a tune.

Do you normally temp test your pipe? I never do. Touch it...think wow....HOT and check it. But what is it's 'normal' temp?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nitroholic said:

The way a tuned pipe works, getting hotter isn't likely. It's job is to use the pressure waves from exhaust pulses to push mixture back into the combustion chamber that would otherwise be lost when the exhaust port opens and the transfer ports send mixture in.

More likely is the fact that your engine is hotter due to the increased ambient temperatures, and the specfics of the weather affecting the finer poitns of a tune.

Do you normally temp test your pipe? I never do. Touch it...think wow....HOT and check it. But what is it's 'normal' temp?

Thanks for replies guys.  I couldn't touch the pipe on my ST , I did accidentally the other night and burnt myself lol

as your piston swoops down to expel burnt gasses it throws them out of the exhaust port, BUT at this very same time a new fuel charge is being forced into the chamber.
a small amount of that charge is drawn out of the exhaust port with that already burnt gas.

now a sports exhaust ( your standard off the shelf tuned exhaust) uses a expansion chamber ( the big pear like bulb on the pipe ) to create a back presure that forces that little unburnt fuel back into your combustion chamber giving you the most effiecent use of it ie you get the full charge that was delivered. 

depending on the size of the expansion chamber and the shape its formed to can affect power, Low end - mid range - top end. it depends what your wanting.
Take a race tuned engine and shove a sport tuned pipe on your going to affect the mid range more, but the problem is your race motor is tuned to max power at its highest rev range, lets just say the power kick in at 10,000rpm , but that sports exhaust's power kicks in at 7,000 rpm  your loosing out on a bit of power because of this. 
but marry a race pipe with the race motor the motors power comes in at 10,000rpm and that pipes preformance is tuned to 10,000 rpm this means when your up in that high end rev range that pipe and motor are a tuned to each other and will produce the maximum power they can. 

its all to do with the acoustic wave and improving volumetric efficency  of the motor via the pipe.

the exhausts manifold really wants to match the ID of the exhaust port manifold, a restriction in this area degrades power, ie a restricted exhaust, its what you find on a motorbike to lower the engines HP and power , and usually involves replacing an exhaust with a better one or removing the restriction at that area mentioned. its very very rare seen on hobby motors . the usual sign of heat is running lean due to weather or incorrect fuel/tuning ;)

Edited by Tamiyacowboy