• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

X-ACT 8 Port Pro Italia

Pistonhead

Last weekend my 5 port XACT shattered it's conrod and liner, writing off the engine, not the best thing to happen a week before race day. Timing worked out perfectly despite that, as the X-Act 8 Port Pro Italia had just been released days before, so placed an order with Answer Rc for one and received it today.

I knew it was built by Novarossi for XACT from the start, but wasn't quite expecting it to arrive in a Novarossi box, complete with Nova stickers, manual, and warranty (thought it would come in one of their usual heavy duty bubble wrap envelopes)

3177897bf0eb6e6f0edf170a12b8cc82.jpg

f2e0699ace7be193449e5b9933812617.jpg

d58adf75a36693fe7b73a9a6e42d6ff8.jpg

0e78736f26bec535b34217f432c5a7fa.jpg

ea99d65fdf94bdbd9fed1ac61945e54a.jpg

Reading through the paper work i've also learned that it's one of Novarossis rapid break-in engines - two tanks, at fast idle then going easy or the next few tanks before briging up to speed and tuning.

Now to get it fitted and start the break in :D

Edited by Pistonhead
  • Like 2

Just now, Andythecrane said:

I've got an exact 3 port, and I'm loving it in my revo. Just need a decent exhaust.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

How old is it? Strongly suggest changing the conrod after the first two gallons and checking/changing if needed every gallon after. They're only a tenner each.

To be honest, i'm a fan of the allthe XACT engines, the power they make once broken in is incredible for the money.

My old 3 port happily out pulled engines costing many times more on higher gearing, unfortunately the crankshaft snapped between bearings half a gallon after a rod change. Again, a cheap replacement. A Novarossi carb will transform the power and make tuning far easier too.

The 5 port was an absolute screamer too, my only issue with it was with its crankcase being 2mm wider than class standard - meaning i had fitment problems on my Tekno, I couldn't get the engine close enough to the spur and destroyed a couple of spur gears. It letting go was a blessing in disguise haha.

• Like 1

if its coming from novarossi you know its going to be good, i cant remember them doing a bad engine!

not a nitro fan anymore, but interested in hearing your thoughts on it once you put some mileage on it.

Having another crack at getting the first tank idled through it tomorrow morning at the track.

My glow starter died just as it started to 'catch' and run by itself, only needed another ten seconds of power and she'd have run!

31 minutes ago, Pistonhead said:

Having another crack at getting the first tank idled through it tomorrow morning at the track.

My glow starter died just as it started to 'catch' and run by itself, only needed another ten seconds of power and she'd have run!

Is it super tight like a Picco ? 

Nowhere near as tight, although it did lock once, it didn't take much moving to get free from tdc - only needed a little screwdriver move the flywheel.

It's one of Novarossis part broken in engines so two tanks on the box, then it's able to be run faster sooner than a completely virgin motor.

All broken in today at the track, still running rich but the power is starting to show - especially mid  to top whilst not needing to rev so hard - so off home for tea before giving it a tune later :) 

• Like 1

This is definitely a proper truggy motor, now i've begun tuning it, the bottom end power is really impressive, on a tarmac with badlands, a hard launch would pick up the front wheels briefly - could be interesting with XTM grinders on astro lol. Top end is hard to judge without the confines of the track to work with, but i'll find out tomorrow and carry on tuning between heats. 

last weekend the car developed a tank issue which forced me to spend most of Sunday in the pits trying to start the engine.

The issue was my tank wasn't pressurised enough to fire the car up, and causing the engines to run too lean at peak rev - probably what caused my last two engines to blow their conrod top ends. Just needed to drill out the lid and nipple to allow more gas in. 

Power down low is explosive on my stock gearing - easily pulled on a five port Alpha powered buggy happily,  It does need gearing up though, as i can't use full throttle on the second of the two main straights at our track as it'll over rev, and i'm also having to run it rich to try and keep it from hitting full revs.

Other than that, the power is right there when you need it, stab the throttle anywhere in the rev range and it takes off, perfect for lots of jumps.

Edited by Pistonhead

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Found out from one of the chaps at XACT and Answer that this is a thoroughbred Novarossi race engine :topbanana:

Firstly there is only 100 being made, the parts were initially made for the first batch of an 8 port VIR-TUS (with the intended rrp of £380) that never made it to market and never assembled.

XACT acquired the engines and requested Novarossi assemble them and change the branding on the head.Intended rrp of £380. 

So i 've got a high end motor for a third of the original asking price.

As for how she's going, i'm having to run it very rich in an attempt to lower the temps, due to the warm days we're still having down in Cornwall, despite this is still got plenty of power everywhere, it's just starting to get a tad thirsty now lol.

Can't wait till the days get cooler so i can start leaning her out more and find out how much power she really has.

• Like 2