• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Project - "what the hell have I let myself in for" revo

forbs

Right so I saw a revo 2.5 pop up on my news feed so I decided to buy it. Not knowing a huge amount about nitro power I thought I would be a good leaning curve, and that the car is advertised as ready to run gave me a little time to use it before I inevitably broke somthing, or so I thought...

From the outset the car looked fine. I gave it a quick once over and found all the rubber boots where perished. That's fine I expected some wear and tear nothing to worry about. 

So popped in some fuel. And tried to start. No fuel reaching the engine even doing as the manual said (putting my finger over the exhaust) on an even closer inspection I found the manifold had snapped.. 

After a quick Google it seems to be a bit of a common problem so I ordered a new one plus some drive shaft boots.

I thought whilst I'm waiting on the parts I'll give it a strip down and clean as it was fresh from the s**t heap! 

I removed the engine to find that it's wasn't being held on by anything as the mount had snapped in half :( streight on the phone to model sport got me a new mount (sigh) 

Got the back cleaned up and all was relatively well apart from the rubbers I had mentioned. 

On to the front. Removed the suspension and a screw fell down by the front diff.

As I went to retrieve it I noticed the sway bar was bent (easy fix) bend it back I thought. As I put it back I saw the collateral damage of the impact. The front diff housing had snapped all the way round. Back to ebay to order a new diff housing ## no going back ... to be continued. ....

Na I had it posted to me. I paid via pp. 

I should have had a good look at it when it came but I had two turn up in the same week. Plus iv spent too much on it now lol

7 minutes ago, forbs said:

Na I had it posted to me. I paid via pp. 

I should have had a good look at it when it came but I had two turn up in the same week. Plus iv spent too much on it now lol

Assuming you didn't pay by Paypal gift open a case for it not being as described if the damage wasn't listed.

evssv has done it twice recently although he did buy from ebay I believe rather than directly but if you paid by PP you are still covered.

Edited by losi8igh
  • Like 1

Yeah I see what your saying. But im half way through it now. I should have claimed to start with and sent it back. 

Anyway its on its way. New coupler. Engine mount installed. Wheels/tyres on the way. Diff housing has just arrived. :)

Firat job remove the silver paint on the radio and throttle box

20160710_115921_zps24ztbgo8.jpg

Then a new exhaust header 

20160710_115910_zpsg9neybw3.jpg

Edited by forbs

On ‎13‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 13:54, losi8igh said:

Assuming you didn't pay by Paypal gift open a case for it not being as described if the damage wasn't listed.

evssv has done it twice recently although he did buy from ebay I believe rather than directly but if you paid by PP you are still covered.

sure did..:yes:..and back it went refuned thk u....:good:one...mcd truck..was outside ebay.....refunded 450 quid..and that x4.6 savvy..through ebay.....both not as described and both went bak...:rolleyes:

Edited by evssv

So next step was to remove all the crap silver paint from the radio tray cover and throttle break tray cover... i'm not sure why this was done? As the cost of the truck us spiraling I thought I would have a go myself.. acetone was my first try no avail, so i cracked open the nitromose, that cut through the paint like a hot knife through butter 

20160714_221543_zpso1mbqqvn.jpg

the bumpers are beyond help, not only have they been painted silver they where previously "Brilliant white glossed"... Jesus tap dancing Christ!! any more secretes you wish to share dear old truck. 

20160710_204156_zpsvbxdnge6.jpg

so new bumpers are the next purchase on the list. I'm thinking rpm ones ? they seem to be block color plastic rather then silver coated? My thinking is they will withstand being bashed without looking too shabby ?

Soo yesterday i Fitted the new front diff housing and straightened out the suspension link, signs of an obvious front end collision 

20160710_222221_zps5d4q68rq.jpg

20160714_211743_zpseextjppe.jpg

No damage to the diff thank god, (wheyyy) I think the plastic in this truck plays a big part in why it is crash resistant.

20160714_211734_zpswbjsgpik.jpg

20160714_221555_zpsanxzkjzv.jpg

It actually cleans up really well ! 

20160714_221609_zps5h7yexia.jpg

New header on, ready to see if the engine actually works :)

* Up next i'm going to replace the drive shaft boots as they are only a couple of quid per pair. I hear some people don't bother and just buy new shafts because its a pain in the arse, well i suppose I will find out :)*

Edited by forbs

3 minutes ago, evssv said:

well its looking 100%better now dude:good:

Thanks mate! Its getting there.. all the rubbers need replacing for the turn buckles. do people tend to bother with these as they don't house any serious moving part like a bearing? and they cost a fair bit for what they are lol... although i have found a cheaper way to get them :) 

Well disaster struck yesterday, I decided it would be a good idea to have a fight with a bacon slicer. Long story short Iv taken off the top of my thumbs knuckle and cut through the tendon, so a&e yesterday and plastic trauma this morning to sow me back together, 

unfortunately its my right hand which i use for screwing (easy now !) so i may be a few days out of rc action whilst i repair a bit.  :boredlook:

Davee 

No pics I'm afraid. If you do have some kind of weird gore fetish I will send you signed picture for £5 including free p&p ;)

Back to the car.. it will give me a little time to think about what I want put of it. 

I was thinking of turning it into a rock racer ? Iv seen a kit on ebay that allowed yout to give the suspension extra traval any thought guys ? 

Thanks for the kind words !!!

Many thanks. Dave 

Thanks tug yes this is the kit I was referring to. 

I was also thinking about the big block conversion kit... they seem to allow for more choice in the motor department 

• Like 1