• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Battery Advise Hotshot 2

postie90

Hey everyone, it's been many years since I was into Rc, my dad past away and I've found a tamiya hotshot 2.... I use to play with as I youngster, in the loft,  cleaned it all up, bought a nicad 7.2 1300mah new battery of the bay cheapo and all is working which has made me smile... although the run time is very low. .. so quick question to anyone in the know, can I put Nihm battery with a higher capacity in? 4200mah or higher cheers in advance, think I might be getting the bug back,  just need to refresh my memory how it works....

Edited by postie90

Im running a 2s lipo in my axxe. It's faster & lasts longer. I just stop as soon as it starts to slow down. Lipos are cheaper than NiMH these days. Especially from the HobbyKing uk warehouse. They do cheap chargers/ balancers too. An lvc can be had for less than a fiver too.

22 minutes ago, NOFX said:

Im running a 2s lipo in my axxe. It's faster & lasts longer. I just stop as soon as it starts to slow down. Lipos are cheaper than NiMH these days. Especially from the HobbyKing uk warehouse. They do cheap chargers/ balancers too. An lvc can be had for less than a fiver too.

Would the hotshot take lipo? Tbh I don't want to modifie it in anyway as it's a bit sentimental so just a new battery will do for longer run times.

Manual doesn't say much about sizes:

http://www.wheelsacademy.info/rc/tamiyapdf/TamVeh95.pdf

Measure your battery and see how much room is still left in the compartment. This will determine how big you can go with it. Your 1300mah might be 2/3rd AA size, once you pass 1800mah they go to sub C size which are fatter. Hopefully you can take a sub C like the one below.

These 3300mah sub C are Size 135 x 46 x 23 mm - Weight 380gms and these style batteries don't seem much difference in size from 2000mah up to 5000mah so these are the sizes above you need to be able to fit in it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tamiya-RC-Car-Battery-7-2v-3300mah-NiMH-Rechargable-Pack-Overlander-/331470841439?hash=item4d2d33a65f:g:nzgAAOSw-W5U015Q

If it will fit I'd prob just go with these below. I think these give the best value per mah.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RC-Tank-Battery-7-2v-3300mah-NiMH-Rechargable-Pack-Overlander-/331582465259?hash=item4d33dae4eb:g:Q-4AAOSw2VJVfep7

Also if it does fit I'd recommend getting a 1A output sprint NX84 charger for it unless you have a lipo type charger already. If yours you have now is an older wall charger it may be very low output.

However, if it turns out yours is 2/3rd AA size not sub C then we may have to look again and you'll be limited to below 1900mah :( 

Edit: I wouldn't be keen on lipo beings it's quite exposed when fitted. However a 2s hardcase is around 137x47x24mm but you'd need a lipo charger then too.

Edited by dazp1976
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, postie90 said:

Would the hotshot take lipo? Tbh I don't want to modifie it in anyway as it's a bit sentimental so just a new battery will do for longer run times.

nope not  if its an original one:good:

4 minutes ago, evssv said:

Edited by evssv

6 hours ago, postie90 said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360824019379

This is what I bought to test if the buggie still run, and fits with plenty of room, size is 131mm long 23mm wide 46mm high

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats the size you require. As long as its 6 cell stick pack and 7.2v you'll be fine, anything unto 5100/5200 for the longer run times. The ones on component shop I believe are Vapextech? Nothing wrong with them.

• Like 1