• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Speed controller or RC?

naxtek

Hi all,

I've got a basic Tamiya 4x4 electric model that came with a TBLE-02s.

It's paired with a basic reciever: Core RC Code 2.4GHz 2-Channel FHSS SportStick Combo

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/core-rc-code-2.4ghz-2-channel-fhss-sport-stick-combo/rc-car-products/38218

And an uprated brushless motor: SPEED PASSION V3.0 COMPETITION BRUSHLESS MOTOR 13.5T
http://www.apexmodels.com/gbu0-prodshow/SPEED-SP138135V3.html

Was messing around with it the other day and it made a pop sound and just stopped.  Now when turned on, the speed controller makes a beeping noise which indicates no RC signal.

Is there any way I can tell if the issue here is likely to be the RC receiver or the speed controller without buying a replacement for one and trying it out?  If so, which is it more likely to be?

18 minutes ago, naxtek said:

Hi all,

I've got a basic Tamiya 4x4 electric model that came with a TBLE-02s.

It's paired with a basic reciever: Core RC Code 2.4GHz 2-Channel FHSS SportStick Combo

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/core-rc-code-2.4ghz-2-channel-fhss-sport-stick-combo/rc-car-products/38218

And an uprated brushless motor: SPEED PASSION V3.0 COMPETITION BRUSHLESS MOTOR 13.5T
http://www.apexmodels.com/gbu0-prodshow/SPEED-SP138135V3.html

Was messing around with it the other day and it made a pop sound and just stopped.  Now when turned on, the speed controller makes a beeping noise which indicates no RC signal.

Is there any way I can tell if the issue here is likely to be the RC receiver or the speed controller without buying a replacement for one and trying it out?  If so, which is it more likely to be?

smell them  to see if something is burnt.

2 minutes ago, sunny said:

Does your servo (steering) work?

Nope, totally dead.

I did think that may point to the receiver, but as the speed controller seems to provide power for the receiver and servo, I wasn't sure (the battery connects directly to the speed control).

Probably is receiver mate thats my educated guess bit hard to say for sure unless you can beg / steal / borrow another receiver or esc to test.

Couple of things to check.

1) Disconnect the esc from the receiver and try turning in on. In theory it should respond the same way.

2) See if you can power the receiver externally (without the esc). It is possible there is a holder for 4 AA batterys in the radio's box used to power the receiver in nitro cars. You could use this to test if the receiver and servo work without the esc.

Thinking about this a bit I've concluded that the esc pretty much MUST be a fault here. Thats not the same as the esc isn't working, it might be that the receiver is blown but the esc is fine. However we must then ask the question 'Why did the receiver die?' and there the finger points squarely back at the esc again.

So regardless of what appears to be working I'd suggest replacing the esc anyway, just in case it kills your new receiver.....

Thanks for all the input.

The ESC was in brushless mode and was working fine.  It should be rated fine for that motor, but it is close to its limit so was probably under a bit of stress.

Unfortunately I don't have the battery holder you mentioned, but could probably fashion one if I knew the voltage it needed.  If it's 4x AAs in series then it must be 6v?  I may give this a try.

2 minutes ago, naxtek said:

Thanks for all the input.

The ESC was in brushless mode and was working fine.  It should be rated fine for that motor, but it is close to its limit so was probably under a bit of stress.

Unfortunately I don't have the battery holder you mentioned, but could probably fashion one if I knew the voltage it needed.  If it's 4x AAs in series then it must be 6v?  I may give this a try.

Have you tried to re bind it  also does the RX have a light.

The TBLE-02 is quite able to run a 13.5t motor without going pop - I run several such combos in my cars with no problems.

However the TBLE-02's built in BEC (the bit that supplies power to the receiver) is a known weak point. I would be very surprised if it is not that which has failed. With no BEC, no power goes to the receiver, so the ESC gets no signal and the steering doesn't work.

The ESC circuitry is separate from the BEC circuitry, and if you power the receiver from somewhere else, all should be well. A lot of people run external BECs to preempt and/or work around the issue.

• Like 2

It sounds like its just the BEC that has gone then - you will just need an external power supply to run the receiver and servos much like you have to do on nitro cars, usually plug in a 6v hump pack but mine came with a 4x AA battery pack which has the same connector.

An external battery back is a good way to test and confirm that the fault is as suspected, but for running the car, an external BEC such as this one would be preferable as it is tiny, weighs next to nothing, and costs next to nothing too:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/172006742860

• Like 1

8 hours ago, XV Pilot said:

The TBLE-02 is quite able to run a 13.5t motor without going pop - I run several such combos in my cars with no problems.

However the TBLE-02's built in BEC (the bit that supplies power to the receiver) is a known weak point. I would be very surprised if it is not that which has failed. With no BEC, no power goes to the receiver, so the ESC gets no signal and the steering doesn't work.

The ESC circuitry is separate from the BEC circuitry, and if you power the receiver from somewhere else, all should be well. A lot of people run external BECs to preempt and/or work around the issue.

Thanks everyone, but especially XV Pilot.  Turned out it was exactly this.

In case anyone is interested or has the same problem and finds this thread:

To solve this, I first disconnected everything from the receiver except the steering servo.  I then used a 2-pin connector from an old computer power switch I had lying around.  I pulled the switch end off, leaving the 2-pin connector and wiring, which I then plugged in to the receiver.  At first, I tried 4 x brand new Duracell AAs.  My method was to precariously hold them in a line while touching the wires onto the ends.  It wasn't working, and I almost assumed the receiver was the faulty part.  As a last ditch attempt, I tried 4 mostly depleted Wilko value D cells.  And hey presto, a flicker of the receiver's green LED.  With a bit more fiddling, I was able to power it for long enough to move the steering servo using the transmitter.  Conclusion: speed controller faulty and not sending power to the receiver.

Edited by naxtek