• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Defender 90 take two!

So if the missus doesn't kill me first I've purchased another rc4wd land rover Defender 90 body which I want to right the wrongs on my previous /current body.

My last body I was sure I wanted to make a van body and do away with the windows,  part of me still does however one of my biggest regrets with my last one was the windows,  I forgot to do the black window seals before installing,  the glue I used showed through so I sprayed from inside to create a tinted look which im happy I managed to rescue them to a point but this time I'm happy to learn from my mistake and attempt the windows again.

I decided to build a cheap LED loom which was OK but short lived, I hopefully have a decent lighting unit coming for this one and have noticed that you can purchase led buckets for the Defender now so considering that option,  had anyone dealt with them?

Im not sure what route to take now, I don't want to change my current Defender style wheels so the colour scheme has to work with them and possibly stainless cheque plate as I purchased a couple of sheets previous which I painted black on my current body but don't want to go down that route this time so will leave the cheque plate shiny. 

The previous body cost me around £50 in paint as I really wanted to use Volkswagen Mendoza brown so I don't want to spend as much on paint this time but I'm pretty sure I want to go metallic. 

Im not sure if I want to go Kahn route,  Modern updated look with a puma bonnet which I've seen for £60 so may give that a miss, County style or a off road hog which usually means expensive add ons,  cages and scale accessories etc? 

Any input would be great thanks. 

First picture is my current body, the white one is a favourite at the moment to Base my next build on.

IMG_0015_zpsaoz50azs.jpg

e7cb77f9933be6e3865a8495b16cf764.jpg

DEFENDER-GLOSS-BLACK-3D-BONNET-LETTERING-LAND-ROVER.jpg

FB_IMG_1460804966771.jpg

IMG_20160328_233911.JPG

Edited by gti power

• 2 weeks later...

google is always a great source of inspiration. i found mine there.

personally im not a fan of the arches, id rather go for aslightly smaller wheel tyre combo so they werent needed. There is also the sdi arches to consider which in my eyes look a little better.

p.s. nice avatar pic. seem to recognise it ;-)

• Like 1

Gaz says he build it, i can use my photos as they are too big :huh:

Im not sure im familiar with these sdi arches ill google them now, Ive been browsing different defenders for inspiration but the issue i now have is the shocks im using give too much ride height so i have the bigger 1.9's which do make it look silly imo but its more practical as a crawler so im swaying more towards the jacked up off road look which perhaps i feel isn't as rewarding.

not used them myself but a lot of people on scalerc use them and they have no complaints and there in the eu so no customs :) not sure how long that will last though if you know what i mean 

• Like 1

im sure they will be back in stock soon pal.  its the start of decent-ish weather haha so more people are going out. i know i am lol. its all the missus's fault haha

its fine with the pic pal. yeah gaz did the shell and painted it proper nice. It doesnt look like that anymore. haha

• Like 1

I've used SDI arches on mine, it looks loads better than having sticky out wheels (scx10 chassis)

I tried to make mine look like this, not too bling with a bit off-road:

big_thumb_57e3154bd442f3cc728ed8a6f36298

And my version... (the paint is supposed to be the same colour though mine went dark when I laquered it;

P2210567.jpg

IMAG0978.jpg

Edited by Steven.T
  • Like 2