• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The Tamiya Thread! Aka just ask XVPilot :-)

TMaxxDave

On 08/02/2018 at 22:12, XV Pilot said:

Which 3650 motor are you considering? I have googled a few, and it would appear that they aren't all the same size. 

GoolRC Upgrade Waterproof 3650 3900KV Brushless Motor with 60A ESC Combo Set for 1/10 RC Car Truck
http://s.aliexpress.com/fmmeqYfa?fromSns

Thats what i was thinking of getting

@XV Pilot

Just another little Q.

Having pre-ordered the newly re-released Manta Ray I'm starting to look at hop ups etc, making watch/wish lists along the way.

So far I have:

• Bearing kit
  • Alloy motor mount
  • Alloy hex's
  • Alloy steering assembly with bearings
  • Plastic gear to replace the alloy one
  • Metal dogbones from the DT-02
  • Metal prop and joints left over from a 2017 Top Force

One thing I'm not sure about is pinion size. The kit I belive will be supplied with a 21 tooth and I intend on running something like a BZ or TZ motor. What pinion would you recommend or even a different motor/pinion combo to suit the buggy?

Edited by ChrisT

8 hours ago, ChrisT said:

@XV Pilot

Just another little Q.

Having pre-ordered the newly re-released Manta Ray I'm starting to look at hop ups etc, making watch/wish lists along the way.

So far I have:

• Bearing kit
  • Alloy motor mount
  • Alloy hex's

One thing I'm not sure about is pinion size. The kit I belive will be supplied with a 21 tooth and I intend on running something like a BZ or TZ motor. What pinion would you recommend or even a different motor/pinion combo to suit the buggy?

Looks like you have quite a good wishlist of hop-ups going there. Your Manta Ray is going to end up much the same spec as mine it would seem.

In addition to the hop-ups you have listed, I also added a turnbuckle set (Top Force ones fit obviously, but I used the steel ones with blue alloy accents sold for the DF-02 because I think they look nicer) and some 2.2 wheels and tires for a bit of extra clearance. These are great for running, and allow me to keep the originals for display.

Another thing you may want to consider if the car is to be a runner is to get it a second shell so that you can keep the original pristine for display.  The stock shell is lightweight and nicely detailed,  but rather thin and weak in places. The Kamtec version is not as detailed, but tougher and far more bashable. It doesn't come with a wing,  but the Schumacher Talon wing fits well and works superbly. 

As for the motor, I run mine on a TZ which seems to suit it well. I was experimenting with different pinions last time I had it on a track down at Grantham, but I can't remember which pinion I decided on in the end. I can check if you like.

Edited by XV Pilot
  • Thanks 1

On 09/02/2018 at 23:42, mo_miah said:

GoolRC Upgrade Waterproof 3650 3900KV Brushless Motor with 60A ESC Combo Set for 1/10 RC Car Truck
http://s.aliexpress.com/fmmeqYfa?fromSns

Thats what i was thinking of getting

Looks like it should fit without any problems. Dimensions aren't much different to a standard 540.

45 minutes ago, XV Pilot said:

Looks like you have quite a good wishlist of hop-ups going there. Your Mantra Ray is going to end up much the same spec as mine it would seem

In addition to the hop-ups you have listed, I also added a turnbuckle set (Top Force ones fit obviously, but I used the steel ones with blue alloy accents sold for the DF-02 because I think they look nicer) and some 2.2 wheels and tires for a bit of extra clearance. These are great for running, and allow me to keep the originals for display.

Another thing you may want to consider if the car is to be a runner is to get it a second shell so that you can keep the original pristine for display.  The stock shell is lightweight and nicely detailed,  but rather thin and weak in places. The Kamtec version is not as detailed, but tougher and far more bashable. It doesn't come with a wing,  but the Schumacher Talon wing fits well and works superbly. 

As for the motor, I run mine on a TZ which seems to suit it well. I was experimenting with different pinions last time I had it on a track down at Grantham, but I can't remember which pinion I decided on in the end. I can check if you like.

Thanks XV, great input as usual.

I was looking at the Top Force TB's also, but it seems I can't buy them all in one set? Where did you purchase them from? Also, all the alloy hop up part's I've added will be silver, is there a silver/black option for the TB's?

Larger wheels and tyres I could look at, I've some FTX Vantage wheels along with some Turfrippers, also some DF-02 wheels.

Just looked at the Kamtec shell, pretty cheap so maybe worth a look at, as you say, it's worth keeping the original for the shelf.

Iff you could look at the pinion sometime, no immediate rush as I won't be getting it until at least May.

Thank's again :thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, ChrisT said:

Thanks XV, great input as usual.

I was looking at the Top Force TB's also, but it seems I can't buy them all in one set? Where did you purchase them from? Also, all the alloy hop up part's I've added will be silver, is there a silver/black option for the TB's?

Larger wheels and tyres I could look at, I've some FTX Vantage wheels along with some Turfrippers, also some DF-02 wheels.

Just looked at the Kamtec shell, pretty cheap so maybe worth a look at, as you say, it's worth keeping the original for the shelf.

Iff you could look at the pinion sometime, no immediate rush as I won't be getting it until at least May.

Thank's again :thumbsup:

The turnbuckles came from Tony's Tamiya Parts. The shafts can be bought as a set under part number 53109. The connectors and fixings would need to be sourced separately, but I am sure Tony would be able to hook you up.

The Vantage wheels and Turf Ripper tyres are an effective combo. I use them on a couple of my buggies. My Manta Ray however runs on a full set of Vantage wheels and Vantage tyres. If you want to keep it Tamiya, DF-03 wheels are full 2.2 size and give you many tyre options.

I'll check the pinion next time I have the Manta apart and let you know.

• Thanks 1

You'll definitely need the ball nuts, as the inner upper arm connections need to be made using M3 step screws or sleeved screws, to which the nuts attach. The others can either be achieved using ball nuts and long grub screws or bolts, or SC1 type ball connectors.

On mine, I used 53599 fluorine coated aluminium ball nuts, which are light, very smooth in operation, and are a nice muted gunmetal colour that doesn't clash with the rest of the chassis. These were attached using M3 grub screws or step screws as appropriate.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, ChrisT said:

Ah right, so a mixture of both then really. Plenty of time to look into this and get some parts sorted.

:thumbsup:

Hope you have time to post a build thread when it comes!

Also, just popped the motor out of my Manta to check the pinion - I have a 20t steel RW Racing one in there at the moment.

Edited by XV Pilot
  • Thanks 1

Just now, XV Pilot said:

Hope you have time to post a build thread when it comes!

Just popped the motor out of my Manta to check the pinion - I have a 20t steel RW Racing one in the at the moment.

I certainley will do a build thread.

Thanks for looking into the pinion, I'll add one to my list of lists :D

Aye, not cheap. And probably not great value either considering that one can buy a faster, stronger, more up to date buggy from a rival manufacturer for less. But when have Tamiya fans ever objected to paying more for older tech? :D

• Like 2

7 hours ago, XV Pilot said:

Aye, not cheap. And probably not great value either considering that one can buy a faster, stronger, more up to date buggy from a rival manufacturer for less. But when have Tamiya fans ever objected to paying more for older tech? :D

haha never object. Iff I went through with all the hop ups it would cost more than my Top Force, which will still be miles ahead :rolleyes:

I may reconsider buying the TB's and steering assembly for now though.

56 minutes ago, ChrisT said:

I may reconsider buying the TB's and steering assembly for now though.

Not a bad idea. The turnbuckles are not essential as the geometry of the stock fixed plastic items is fine for most situations. The steering assembly too is not an essential purchase at the outset. The stock plastic pieces can be used for a good few runs before they become overly sloppy. 

• Thanks 1

I dread to think how much money i spent on my TT02B just because i wanted the pink body and wheels but ive pretty much finished with MS Spec. I had a Hyper 10TT which cost half the price which was better, faster and took one hell of a bashing.

On 09/02/2018 at 19:41, ChrisT said:

DSCF6494.jpg

F part 0005313 front upright. Not an easy find locally but managed to find some on Tamico, so these will be purchased along with some Mantaray hop ups.

Trolling through Tony's parts on Wednesday night I found some newly listed F parts :D Really please with that, as my Tamico wish list grew bigger :ph34r:

DSCF6555.jpg

28 minutes ago, XV Pilot said:

Tony is an excellent source of parts. Glad you found what you need. 

It was luck of the draw. I just happened to be searching eBay for 'Thundershot' and it appeared in the results as a newly listed part.

• 1 month later...
On 11/02/2018 at 13:01, ChrisT said:

@XV Pilot

So far I have:

• Bearing kit
  • Alloy motor mount
  • Alloy hex's

@XV Pilot

While watching some unboxing videos of the Mantaray 2018 I discovered that the rerere comes with metal dog bones. Did the rere come with them?

The original came with plastic end dogbones I believe? which is why I purchased the metal ones for when the Mantaray arrives :doh:

Still, these bones are compatable with the DT-02, Thundershot, Top Force and Boomerang rere which are in my ownership, so not a total loss :D  just thought that would be useful info.

Below is a video unboxing the 2018 Mantaray and at approx 8:07 - 8:08 you can make out the steel dogbones in bag A.

Also, spoke to Modelsport Thursday and the release date has been put back to around 10th April. Was originally 29th March.

Can't wait :36_1_32v[1]:

Edited by ChrisT

On 30/03/2018 at 17:41, ChrisT said:

@XV Pilot

While watching some unboxing videos of the Mantaray 2018 I discovered that the rerere comes with metal dog bones. Did the rere come with them?

The original and rere both came with the plastic-ended dogbones that also featured on the TL-01B.

Nice to see all-metal ones on the rerere. A useful inclusion considering the power of modern motors. 

• Thanks 1

On 31/03/2018 at 18:03, XV Pilot said:

The original and rere both came with the plastic-ended dogbones that also featured on the TL-01B.

Nice to see all-metal ones on the rerere. A useful inclusion considering the power of modern motors. 

Ah good to know. I'll only be running a BZ so not too much power.