• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The Tamiya Thread! Aka just ask XVPilot :-)

TMaxxDave

1 minute ago, TMaxxDave said:

Got one to lend me? Lol. Ill take the front prop shaft out of my Maxx and you can have a shot of that. LMAO

Sent from my Galaxy S5 Neo

Bolton is only 3 hours away, we'll have to meet up lol

Just now, TMaxxDave said:

Im sure we could go for somewhere halfway. Anyways, back on topic.

Im struggling to find a brushed esc with reverse for an 11x2 motor. Any ideas?

That could work. 

This is the current go-to ESC round these parts:

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobbywing-quicrun-1060-brushed-esc/rc-car-products/382831

Just now, TMaxxDave said:

Ive been looking at that, but it says it only goes down to 12t. Not 11 :-(

Yeah, that's a thing. But I don't get the whole 11x2 thing, is that not 22? Or were my Maths teachers lying to me lol

So is it an 11t or a 22t? Be interesting to find out how much wriggle room the 1060 has. 1 turn can't be too much of a stretch can it?

Ah, the old single vs. double vs. triple chestnut. This catches a lot of people out...

A 11-turn motor has wire wound 11 times around the armature. Since all 540 armatures are pretty similar in terms of size, this is a convenient way of telling us how long the wire is, and thus what sort of current draw we can expect from the motor.

However we don't need to just have one piece of wire wound around the armature. We can have two pieces in a 11X2 motor (called an "eleven double"), or even three in a 11X3 (called an "eleven triple"). One might think that a 11X2 would have twice the length of wire and thus half the current draw of a 11 single, but this is not the case. A 11 turn motor needs a 11 turn ESC irrespective of whether it is a single, double or triple.

This is because of how the wire is wound. An 11 single has one nice fat piece of wire wound round the armature 11 times. An 11 double has two thinner pieces lying next to each other as they are wound around 11 times. An 11 triple has three even thinner pieces of wire, and so forth, but the key point is that they are all wound around the armature 11 times, and are thus the same length. This is basically because when it comes to current draw, the electricity doesn't really care if it goes through one thick piece of wire, two thinner pieces or three even thinner ones - it just cares about how many times it has to go around the armature.

That said, there is usually a bit of wiggle room. Turn count is at best an approximation of a motor's demands, and an ESC's abilities. A good motor of a given turn count will want to perform better than a poor one, and will probably demand more current in order to do so. A well-made ESC from a trustworthy manufacturer will probably be able to easily support a good motor of its rated turn count. A poorly-made ESC from a dodgy manufacturer will probably just about be able to manage to satisfy a poor motor of its rated turn count, on a good day, with conservative gearing, on a smooth surface, with a following wind, downhill, etc.

It is thus usually a good idea to overspec your ESC relative to your motor, especially if using an ESC from one of the not-so-long-running manufacturers. A really good 12-turn ESC might be able to satisfy a very average 11-turn motor, but I would rather err on the side of caution and run a motor of 15 turns or above with the 12-turn ESC, or try to find a 8-turn or lower ESC to use with the 11-turn motor.

Edited by XV Pilot
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, TMaxxDave said:

Did Tamiya make an Astra Coupe?

They did indeed - it came on the TL-01 chassis if I remember correctly, which means it will fit the FF-02 nicely.

Not that easy to find one these days though - I'd keep an eye out on Ebay, or maybe consult some of the longer-running hobby shops to see if any have old stock.

3 hours ago, TMaxxDave said:

So thats the motor explained. Any advice for which esc?? And ill keep an eye out for an Astra body. Unpainted may be hard to come across

This has a 10 turn limit:

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/modelsport-uk-sniper-fw-10/rc-car-products/31552

1 minute ago, Praet0r87 said:

Caution, though... a 12 turn blew mine straight away!

Although that was with a lipo.

Fair point. I used to run the Trident XT12 units but smoked 2 of them with LiPos. Won't touch them now. 

I can't recommend any ESCs with such a low turn count from personal experience, having never bothered with anything lower than 12 turns in my cars. However my LRP Runner Plus Reverse ESC has been going for years now with no issues, so I tend to trust LRP products as a result. Perhaps the unlimited LRP F1 Pro Reverse will prove similarly reliable for you?

Here is one on EBay:

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/LRP-8336-F1-Pro-Reverse-Digital-ESC-Rock-Crawler-Scale-Scaler-Associated-SC-/330997016200?nav=SEARCH

Edited by XV Pilot

That sounds like a good plan. A higher turn motor would give more torque, better runtime and be less critical regarding gearing. And of course you can then use a cheaper and more easily available ESC.

I take it this is to go in your TB-01?

Yeah it's to go in the TB-01 runner, I've ran the motor before. What a total idiot. I've just remembered the ESC I used to use with this motor! I can look for another one. Or just stick the good old Sports Tuned Motor with Tamiya ESC, like I've got in he shelf queens

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Or not unless I can find one on the bay as they are £55 new and I really don't wanna pay that

8 minutes ago, TMaxxDave said:

Yeah it's to go in the TB-01 runner, I've ran the motor before. What a total idiot. I've just remembered the ESC I used to use with this motor! I can look for another one. Or just stick the good old Sports Tuned Motor with Tamiya ESC, like I've got in he shelf queens

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Or not unless I can find one on the bay as they are £55 new and I really don't wanna pay that

Come on Dave, tell us what the ESC is!

How about a TZ, BZ or RZ? A bit stronger than a Sport Tuned, rebuildable and not too demanding in terms of ESC. Or you might try the GT Tuned which is also a nice strong but undemanding motor, as is the Dirt Tuned.