• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The Tamiya Thread! Aka just ask XVPilot :-)

TMaxxDave

Just now, Noj said:

Do you think that somewhere about his person, there is a small embossed logo of two stars in a small rectangle.......

Yes

• Like 2

M04 was rear wheel drive, like a backwards m03l if memory serves.

depending on the shell you wish to run, m03 has a hump on top so low slung bonnets are a no-no, m05 is, I reckon the most popular and therefore bits aplenty. Personally prefer the m06, rear wheel drive and all new design that does actually work. :good:

13 hours ago, chewbacca said:

Where is "The Guru"?

He is nearing the end of a very busy shift cycle at work, but is looking forward to posting a nice detailed answer this evening. ;)

• Like 3

On 05/01/2017 at 21:44, TMaxxDave said:

Have had to screen shot that so can read it through a few times!!!  So am I better off going m06?? As I'm struggling to find earlier models anyway!!!  I'm wanting the rover mini shell!!  But kinda fancied tweaking my lunch box shell to fit on it too if possible!!!! 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So been a while since I been on hear but have caught the rc bug bad started with lunchbox which I have spent a fortune on an im sure for then money have spent could have brought a traxxas emaxx or something with a similar stupid price tag have also brought a nail of a mad Bull which got stripped an rebuilt!!  I then thought 4x4 an tarmac so then treated myself to a tto2 chassis with a mustang shell an brushless lipo  power which is amazingly fast!! My latest mission is a maverick scout!!  Which was stripped with in 3days an have since rebuilt with custom chassis an new linkages an im in process of making my own shell!!! Which I'm rather impressed with!!  So I'm trying to eye a new project an im thinking bout getting a rover mini!!!  But when I'm looking around on eBay I'm getting different m chassis types!!  So my question is what's main differences in them all an which is best??????  Cheers for any help in advance

The RWD rear-motored M-06 chassis would not be my first choice for a model of a Rover Mini. To accommodate the motor, you'd need to butcher the shell, which IMO would look awful. The M-03 or M-05 would be a better fit, both physically and in terms of replicating the front-motored FWD layout of the fullsize.

As a base for a roadgoing Lunch Box though, a M-05 would be a good option. A couple of folks across on Tamiyaclub have built such models quite successfully. Here is a link to one such build:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/72937-m05-lunchbox-build/

Edited by XV Pilot
Corrected typo, added link

Of course if you did want a M-06, and fancied a small vintage rally car build, you could go for the Mini's rally rival the Renault Alpine. It fits the chassis very well, matches the fullsize RWD drive layout, and the Tamiya shell really looks the part.

DSC04760_zpsvpnidi2g.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, XV Pilot said:

I must admit I do like the Renault Alpine it looks a little different an wouldlook quite nice on a trailer behind my scout mod!!! I do like the mini but don't fancy butchering shell to squeeze it on!!! Just thought as m06 is newest chassis would be easier/cheaper  to get spare parts for!!! 

1 hour ago, rob bark said:

I must admit I do like the Renault Alpine it looks a little different an wouldlook quite nice on a trailer behind my scout mod!!! I do like the mini but don't fancy butchering shell to squeeze it on!!! Just thought as m06 is newest chassis would be easier/cheaper  to get spare parts for!!! 

I see where you are coming from, but in the case of Tamiya M-chassis, it is not quite that simple. A higher number doesn't necessarily mean easier spares availability.

Think of it in terms of generations. The first generation of M-chassis featured the M-01 and M-02. Think of them as siblings. They both came out at around the same time and they are both similarly hard to get parts for due to their age. (Although being Tamiyas, it is by no means impossible.)

The M-03 and M-04 represent the next generation of siblings. Again they both came out at around the same time, but being relatively recent in Tamiya terms, they are both still pretty easy to get parts for. (Most parts are interchangeable anyway.) However since the M-03 was by far the easier to drive and thus the more popular, there are far more used examples knocking around, so you'd have an easier time finding a M-03 than a M-04 even though it has a lower chassis number.

The same applies to the M-05 and M-06. Both are current generation cars, both are presently in production, neither have replacements due out any time soon if Tamiya's release announcements are anything to go by, and both have spares easily available, again because most of them are shared. However the same popularity argument applies - M-05s are generally considered easier to drive, thus more people race them, so more examples are available.

The aftermarket hop-up industry is fully aware of this phenomenon too, so you'll find a greater variety of hop-ups available for the M-05 as opposed to the M-06, and for the M-03 as opposed to the M-04.

All Tamiya M-chassis have adjustable wheelbase, and all except the M-04 can go down to the short 210mm wheelbase setting required by the Tamiya Rover Mini and Lunch Box bodyshells. However wheelbase isn't the only concern when fitting a Mini shell. The rear overhang needs to be considered too. 

The rear-motored M-06 chassis extends too far behind the rear axle and gets in the way of the Mini bodyshell, as does the MF-01X albeit to a lesser extent, so those aren't recommended for a realistic look as you'd need to cut away part of the shell to make it fit.

Or I suppose you could do as the builder of that MF-01X Mini on eBay has done, and use a more "bulged" Mini shell from another manufacturer, which appears to have been fitted further back than usual to accommodate the motor:

s-l1600.jpg

Your model, your choice of course, but to my eye it doesn't look as nice as a proper Tamiya Mini shell on a properly-fitting chassis:

DSC04739_zps5xlzl3wk.jpg

Edited by XV Pilot
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TMaxxDave said:

Yes. They arent paying for the silly rates BMW want for the licencing

Sent from my Galaxy S5 Neo

That sucks. BMW are taking the mick. The new "Mini" range are basically just small Beemers with Mini badges.