• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The Tamiya Thread! Aka just ask XVPilot :-)

TMaxxDave

You could do that, sure. Just bear in mind that when pinions die, they often take spurs with them. It might be cheaper to preempt this with a steel pinion.

5mm balls are too small for the top mounts but the chassis has arrived and is fine. The seller of the shocks has found some extra mounting hardware and is sending it out to me.

Tamiya is starting to annoy me with different gear sizings they use. 0.6 and 0.8 why just not be consistant across the range? And use just one!

Sent from my Galaxy S5 Neo

11 hours ago, TMaxxDave said:

Tamiya is starting to annoy me with different gear sizings they use. 0.6 and 0.8 why just not be consistant across the range? And use just one!

Hmm. I can see that it may be annoying, but there is some method in the apparent madness. The coarse 0.8 module pinions are usually used in applications where they are likely to see significant sudden loads but smoothness is not a priority, such as in 2WD basher buggies with no slipper. The everyday 0.6 module pinions are used in most of their cars and give a good compromise between smoothness and toughness. Some cars such as the F104 even go as far as 0.4 module for greater smoothness and finer ratio adjustments.

• 2 weeks later...

WP_20161025_17_55_15_Pro_LI_zpsnyjvmjme.

This is my early 90's Mud Blaster, all complete apart from the body which was destroyed years ago. I removed the MSC and dragged it up to date with and put in a temporary ESC just to see if it still runs, which it does. The wheels I have now stripped back to yellow and the tyres have seen better days.

I would like to get a body for it so it can be used, as its not going to be a shelf queen. Any ideas on what I should do?? Try and get a Subaru Brat body or convert to a MB or Blackfoot?? 

• Like 1

Having built and run a fullsize Baja Bug in my youth, I'd always vote for the MB option.

Whichever way you choose to go with it, I'd recommend that you look into getting it a Lexan shell for running duties. Lowering the CoG by using a lighter shell has a significant benefit to stability.

• Like 2

That is a nice mix, especially the buggies, going from the very simple DT-01 that has been around long enough to enter vintage events, through the almost-old-enough-to-be-considered-classic TL-01B, up to the modern TT-02B. I find it interesting to view them side-by-side and appreciate how Tamiya buggy design has progressed over the years.

Having vowed never to own a buggy as they dont interest me, im not doing too badly.

I do love the differences between the TL and TT. There is a huge wieght difference between the TL and TT which im suprised by.

Interesting - which is heavier? I'd say a stock TL would be heavier than a stock TT, but both your buggies have a fair few hop-ups fitted, so that would probably change things.

Edited by XV Pilot

Only six??? [emoji14]

The TL is like the RC equivalent of the Raleigh Grifter.....[emoji38]

TB01 x2
TL01B
TT02B
Madbull

No matter how many times i count i still get 5.....

The TL is a like a volvo heavy but i suspect in a crash the TT would hold up much better.

You can feel the difference in the plastics. The TL is tough as old boots but the TT feels abit more flexy and forgiving.

fd5742e33e76df1011e2843948df7507.jpg

TL01B

1.8kg.

954bf82f92d252268fefdcd65aee9fa7.jpg

TT02B

Nearly 1.8kg.

Both weighed with batteries in.

Im very suprised by this result. As the TL does feel much heavier!

The TT-02B is fairly hopped up with plenty of Alloy parts, and the TL-01B is fairly stock.

TT does have a TLBE02 with brushed motor
TL is brushless with a fairly heafty SC8WP

I may strip the electrics out of the pair of them just to weigh them at some point

• 2 months later...

So been a while since I been on hear but have caught the rc bug bad started with lunchbox which I have spent a fortune on an im sure for then money have spent could have brought a traxxas emaxx or something with a similar stupid price tag have also brought a nail of a mad Bull which got stripped an rebuilt!!  I then thought 4x4 an tarmac so then treated myself to a tto2 chassis with a mustang shell an brushless lipo  power which is amazingly fast!! My latest mission is a maverick scout!!  Which was stripped with in 3days an have since rebuilt with custom chassis an new linkages an im in process of making my own shell!!! Which I'm rather impressed with!!  So I'm trying to eye a new project an im thinking bout getting a rover mini!!!  But when I'm looking around on eBay I'm getting different m chassis types!!  So my question is what's main differences in them all an which is best??????  Cheers for any help in advance

From what I know there are 6 versions of the main m chassis, m01-m06. There are then a couple of sub variants of these chassis, it's not a chassis I know at all being honest, I just know there are lot of them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk