• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The Tamiya Thread! Aka just ask XVPilot :-)

TMaxxDave

24 minutes ago, TMaxxDave said:

Its for my lad if i get it. (3 years) figure its a safer option than my brushless hyper 10

Sent from my Galaxy S5 Neo

I'd stick a slow brushed motor into it until he learns how to control it, the move him upto the sliver can motor.

With its big Wild Willy wheels and tyres mated to a DT-01 gearbox that was designed with standard buggy wheels in mind,  the Mad Bull is geared quite tall, and is surprisingly quick even on a 35t crawler motor. I started my youngest nephew on a 80t in his.

Otherwise, I think it is a brilliant kids' first model, with tough, rubbery plastics used on the vulnerable bits making it virtually indestructible, and a wide track combined with low CoG making it very stable. The big wheels and plentiful ground clearance mean that it seldom gets stuck. It is a simple build ideal for getting kids involved - even the manual is kid-friendly. And with a styrene bodyshell that accepts a wide variety of paints, permanent markers, stickers, etc, you can let your lad get creative if you like. If he makes a pig's ear of it, replacements are under a tenner from Muddlesport.

As for hop-ups I'd go for the obvious rubber-sealed bearing kit and steel pinion, and I'd put a bit of heatshrink tubing on the steering pushrod to reduce slop like so:DSC05598_zps9ewzyvlm.jpg

When he gets used to it and wants a faster motor, then I'd look at oil shocks, but the stock pogo sticks are fine for pottering about at lowish speeds.

Finally, if he reaches the point that he wants something more resembling a standard buggy, you can pop a set of standard buggy wheels on it and it comes out looking much like a Grasshopper II.

DSC05708_zpsvc14yfi8.jpg

Madbull is ordered. Look forward to another build :-)

Sent from my Galaxy S5 Neo

Ordered the ball bearings and the kit with a Tamiya ESC, forgot to order paint. One question I do have, what steering servo would be best? I'm running a Savox 1257tg in my Neo, which is seriously overkill for what it actually needs to be. I might have to swap out a 9kg servo from my TB-01 and stick a 3kg in the rally car until I have pennies for a Savox for the Madbull

• Like 1

Despite its big wheels, the Mad Bull is pretty undemanding in terms of servo requirements by virtue of its light weight and effective servo saver. I'd value waterproofness above torque, especially since it is for a youngster who will probably enjoy driving through every puddle he can find.

The 4.7kg Alturn "deluxe" waterproof ballraced servo at £6.99 from Muddlesport would be my choice.

• Like 2

a0cf2d7dcb06af92b4e35e1d369c5387.jpg

This arrived today.

2 questions.....

What paint for the body?

Anyone willing to paint my driver?

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Also, which oil shocks?

And any suggestions for tyre foams as I don't like the squishy tyres

Tamiya TS paint works well for the body. No primer is required for adhesion, but you can use some if you like to improve the finish.

Warhammer collectors are usually good painters. If none if your mates are into it, perhaps a local Games Workshop store can recommend someone?

I use Absima/Ansmann/Fastrax oil shocks rebuilt with Tamiya seals on mine. Pretty much any oil shocks will do though - the suspension is not really advanced or sensitive enough to be all that fussy.

I'd avoid tyre foams personally - the squishy tyres perform a valuable cushioning and impact protection function.

On 01/06/2016 at 21:33, XV Pilot said:

The 4.7kg Alturn "deluxe" waterproof ballraced servo at £6.99 from Muddlesport would be my choice.

Good shout. I've used that servo, several times. No issues. :good:

I'm gonna get Sharkfat to paint my Bull (When funds allow purchase etc.) Have already discussed the scheme. Ping him a DM Dave, he may do your driver for you.

23 hours ago, TMaxxDave said:

What size shocks ?

Shocks are about 70mm at the front and 95mm at the rear IIRC. I just matched my oil shocks to the length of the stock pogo sticks.

This one?

hp8h-1_zps3oesqnn9.jpeg

TL-01B chassis, Baja King shell, FTX Vantage wheelset, Fastrax Turf Ripper tyres and Ansmann oil shocks (since replaced with slightly longer black Ansmann items with threaded bodies).

• Like 2