• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Anyone here recommend how to proceed with this 3S Lipo

Ruhel

I've unfortunately left my Turnigy Nano-Tech 6000mAh 3S Lipo (25-50C Discharge) in storage for much longer than recommended (2 Years). Prior to putting into storage I made sure the battery was cycled/balanced charged then discharged to storage voltage 3.8v per cell. Due to multiple things happening in my life I haven't used it since then. I pulled it out and checked the voltage and the cells have a mismatch in voltage.

30155469-2a70-4a6c-aeed-bab909c379cf.jpg

Should I balance charge it first and then cycle it or discharge it to 3v per cell and balance charge it from there?

Also the Lipo does seem to have a slight bulge. Nothing too serious. 

A1400738-29B5-46B2-912E-DBA6B2B4F70D.jpg

795ccc61-75b3-4870-a7df-8bf720785f82.jpg

Should I risk using it or just dispose of it? I've connected it to a 1amp draw to see what happens and its discharging ok.

Cheers

Well plugged it into the MMM and Castle Creations motor and it flew. Slowly ramped up the speed and went full throttle after. Seems to have survived the extended hibernation. I'll prob balance charge it really slowly and see if the cells are able to stay balanced.

Cheers

So it stopped charging with the charger saying "Capacity Reached" 

{option}http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b218/Maxsteel104/Kryptonite/2BADA822-1A62-4222-A3D8-25F823A40503.jpg[/IMG]

Im sure I can squeeze a few more volts into it. Im just gonna leave it attached to the charger in the shed and let it cycle a few times.

Dont just leave it, especially if you are not sure about it. I had a small 1s lipo go bang the other day. It just burst into flames while charging!
Luckily it was put out before it did any damage but went up in a proper fire ball. It was only a 600mah 1s aswell.
Nearly took my mobile phone with it, you can see where it was on the desk.

{option}http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p791/plymouthrc/LIPO2_zpsvfqiukom.jpg[/IMG]
{option}http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p791/plymouthrc/LIPO1_zpsacfasz5v.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by RCMonkee

That aint charged though? :S

Charged on a full lipo is 4.22v percell is what i reach with mine

4.20 - 4.21 is also acceptable

Cycle it a few times, maybe the lipo's dying of lack of age use

Ziggy

Honestly it has been left for the best part of 2 years in a sealed metal box. I will use it over the next couple of days and see how it behaves. 

After one one cycle it was this 

2BADA822-1A62-4222-A3D8-25F823A40503.jpg

hopefully it will get better as its used. It has only been used 3 times (3 cycles) since purchase. 

Edited by Ruhel

On 3/31/2016 at 17:12, Ziggy122 said:

That aint charged though? :S

Charged on a full lipo is 4.22v percell is what i reach with mine

4.20 - 4.21 is also acceptable

Cycle it a few times, maybe the lipo's dying of lack of age use

Ziggy

On 3/29/2016 at 15:23, Nitroholic said:

Cycle it a few times and see what happens. If you run it in a car, run it with the shell off so you can see it and check it often.

A proper cycle later I got the below results.

9A64BD68-A439-47B7-B2D0-0654971DCA36.jpg

Edited by Ruhel
  • Like 1