• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

RC4WD 1/18th Gelande D90

I was just wondering if anyone had seen or used one of the above yet?

Ive found one at a local shop and am going to take a look tomorrow.

I like the smaller scale stuff and find 1/10th too big for the space I have available so am looking forward to getting it and tinkering with it a bit.

Cheers,

Rob.

Well, I picked it up this morning and really like the look of it.

So far I plan to fit a Quikrun 1060 esc, Tower Pro MG95 servo and a DDT Predator 100t motor.

I'll also use my Flysky GT3B with it as the included one is very 'toy' like.

Hopefully RC4WD will release hop ups and spare parts for it as I'd like to do a couple of shells in different styles.

Cheers,

Rob.

FullSizeRender_zpsduvxdkqc.jpg

Edited by barbusg60
  • Like 1

Thanks guys, I cant work out why the pic showed as a link?

Its smaller than I expected but packed with detail. Saves me lugging too many rocks around the garden to build a course too!

The parts Im upgrading I either have already or will be coming on a Losi Micro Crawler Ive just bought.

The link below is how Id like it to crawl like, as standard its a bit like a go kart, either on or off with very little control, so hopefully the better esc/motor and tx/rx will help that. I like the red body and tinted glass too.

I'd never heard of them before but his unit is only 10 mins away from me!

Yes, Simons a really nice bloke, offered to help me if I get stuck fitting the new bits into it when I start. Will definitely buy from him again.

Cheers,

Rob.

I stripped out all the standard electrics today and opened up the gearbox to remove the motor.

Its all metal, all the gears/pinions and the driveshafts/axles etc, everything except the servo horn. Thats the only plastic bit on the whole thing.

I just need to work out where to mount the full size stuff now!

Ive just ordered some of the RC4WD gear/diff oil, a decent 1.5mm hex driver and also some lead tape for the wheels but I cant work out how to remove them!

Cheers,

Rob.

Edited by barbusg60

Looks a well built little truck, Do you have anything to try the stock pinion against to check the dp/mod, like a spur gear? I'm guessing it's more than likely to be 48dp and they are easily available in loads of different sizes 

It says  its 80 pitch (whatever that is) in the manual?

Ive also found out the new motor has smaller screw holes and require M1.6 screws so have to locate those now.

I think I will also have to shorten the motor shaft when I fit a pinion as the new one is quite a lot longer than the original.

Hopefully the swap will be worth it, maybe I should have tried the original motor with the new ESC & TX/RX first to gauge if it was the ESC making it feel as it was either on or off with very little control?

Cheers,

Rob.

I kept looking at these when Pete Gray leaked an image a bit before he should have done (according to the powers that be) but the thing that puts me off is how far the wheels stick out of the body.

I prefer them tucked under.

Bill has lowered his a bit which definitely helps in the looks department.

He also commented on how crap the motor was, as everyone else.

Still tempted, but not just at the moment, maybe in the future.

Idk but instead of cutting down the motor shaft couldn't you use spacers between motor mount and motor to take up the slack? 

It would probably need to be a beefy spacer with as much surface area as possible but then again it is only 1/18.

I'm asking Bcos I wouldn't like to cut down a motor myself and think I want one of these now even if it's just a shelf queen. It's so cute lol.  But first pic of it looks super scale perfect.  But then the red body in the video looks more plastic. Are they easy to repaint? 

My eyebrows jumped at the sight of the motor tho that's abit of a let down. First thought is losi micro T lol. Atleast there's tons of 1/18 options. 

But the gearing 80dp I don't think I've ever seen that before I hope it is a standard size and not an rc4wd lock down part. 

So is every single part made out of metal apart from the servo horn and shell. The gearbox looks plastic in the pic.   

Edited by RCbutcher

I think it would be hard to repaint as its shiny black plastic and all of the detail parts have had their lugs melted on the inside of the body to lock them in (if you understand what I mean)

Everything is metal, yes. The gearbox and all the gears inside are metal too.

The motor is tiny, here is the original alongside the ddt I wand to fit and one out of a Maverick Ion

IMG_0878_zpsrasatsgx.jpg

IMG_0879_zps2noha4ng.jpg

I picked it up in a Lois Micro Crawler package, thats what they are made for I think.

I did come across them on facebook, I'll try and find them again.

I just applied to join scalerc, I had a look but couldnt find anything about the 1:18, would you have a link at all?

Cheers,

Rob

• 2 weeks later...
On 2 April 2016 at 20:19, barbusg60 said:

I picked it up in a Lois Micro Crawler package, thats what they are made for I think.

I did come across them on facebook, I'll try and find them again.

I just applied to join scalerc, I had a look but couldnt find anything about the 1:18, would you have a link at all?

Cheers,

Rob

Hi there, new here, I have bought a used 1/18 D90. Below is the link to the rccrawler discussion about motors etc. Of the D90:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/micro-scale-rigs/558296-rc4wds-new-micro-crawler-14.html

I am so eager to find out about the motor you wanted to fit to yours. How is it going?