• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Wraith based MT?

mond

I'm looking at building a solid axle MT but it seems the best option is either clod based or wraith based. Has anyone here done this before? I'm looking at the CPE chassis for Wraith axles but do I buy a new Wraith - if so, which one?! - or try and just get the axles, running gear and gear boxes since the rest will be surplus?  I'm working on the assumption here that it's easier to get Wraith upgrades and spare parts then clod ones these days and the stock Wraith running gear is probably more robust. 

Look at the chop shops and buy the parts you actually need, IMO. I think buying the kit could leave you with hard to shift on parts. Plenty of upgrade parts out there, so build to perfect spec from the off.

24 minutes ago, Noj said:

Look at the chop shops and buy the parts you actually need, IMO. I think buying the kit could leave you with hard to shift on parts. Plenty of upgrade parts out there, so build to perfect spec from the off.

What are the others, other than Dollarhobbyz? Any in the EU so I can avoid import duties?

just buying whole used wraith axles  will still cost you a lot.   also clod parts are still easy to find as they released it again  + loads of upgrades were made for the clod.  scale clod wheels were released not long ago   also this shell would go nice on a clod

http://www.bigsquidrc.com/jconcepts-1989-ford-f-250-monster-truck-body/

Edited by turok007

Doing some research it looks like the build I want to attempt is a go to build for racing MTs in the US so examples are plenty. Almost none of them run stock Axial transmissions, axle housings or axles though which pushes the price up. At least I know I shouldn't get a Wraith kit roller since all I'll keep is the HD gears. HD gears, beef tubes, aluminium lockouts, drive shafts etc. appear to be a must. Looks like a good summer project.

• Like 1

Sounds like a brilliant plan. 

I like the super clod builds and have been looking them up recently they have some nice upgrades around. But my main pull is to see the difference of a very old rc be transformed with new parts. 

But the wraith idea sounds awesome too and should definitely be the stronger rc ( not if it's yours tho eh dan ;) )

Yeah, the clod builds people do are fantastic. I wanted something with a bit more grunt in it though but maintain that classic look. The Hyper MT plus will have to wait as the cost is adding up :(

I bought a wraith off ebay,dont really like the looks ive got a clod too had a play the other day and cut up the wraith clod shell has a different wheelbase dont really want to use this shell as it is original so im going to buy a proline shell

rc 043.jpg

Edited by BK67