• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Speed run TX and RX?

m1tch_87

Hi all,

Just need some advice with regards to the transmitter and receiver setup I would need for the speed runs due to the fact that things can get out of range fairly quickly, Is it more of a case to increase the transmitter range or just a more sensitive receiver (although I know the 2.4 GHz aerial is fairly short!).

I have a basic TX at the moment which is fine for basic testing but I have a feeling I might need a bit more of an upgrade when doing speed runs - would some of the RC plane transmitters work better with the much longer aerials?

Thanks in advance!

Could I look to get a stick transmitter with the screw on aerial and then run a booster? For the speed runs I wouldn't really be wanting to make massive steering changes and will also have a gyro on board.

How long did you say the run was until the gates?

Another question is - how do you guys see that far to be able to control the car? Looking at that 202mph run I had no clue where he was standing or indeed how he could see the thing to control it! 

For the actual event we build a tower out of scaffolding, id say its around 15-20ft high.

However it gets very windy on site so only the brave use it, i tend to stand on the wall to the side which gives a slightly better view.

14 hours ago, pieman5 said:

For the actual event we build a tower out of scaffolding, id say its around 15-20ft high.

However it gets very windy on site so only the brave use it, i tend to stand on the wall to the side which gives a slightly better view.

Thanks for that, I guess there isn't really anything else around so the line of sight will be ok, I might actually simply use bright bodyshell colours so I can see it.

What would the options be for a good transmitter? I might look to invest slightly in getting a good transmitter which can bind to various cars like my current one can do.

Perhaps 4 or 5 years ago there was a good comparison of ranges of various radios on Largescaleforums.com - may be worth 'Googling' this.

Futaba had tremendous range, Spekkies didn't.

I presume you're thinking of the high speed, keeping control and the vehicle going nearly 'out of sight', thus a long way away in a short time?

Al.

21 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Perhaps 4 or 5 years ago there was a good comparison of ranges of various radios on Largescaleforums.com - may be worth 'Googling' this.

Futaba had tremendous range, Spekkies didn't.

I presume you're thinking of the high speed, keeping control and the vehicle going nearly 'out of sight', thus a long way away in a short time?

Al.

That is correct, I will probably be looking at some of the Futaba TXs as they seem to always be highly recommended, I don't really mind if its stick or wheel as I haven't really learnt to use either yet. I see that you can screw in a high gain aerial so was thinking of perhaps getting a slightly lower end controller but had the screw in aerial so then I can just upgrade - will only need 2 maybe 3 channels.