• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Is the Scout still the one to get?

barbusg60

Hi all,

Im thinking of getting a Scout soon to try a bit of crawling and modding. Ive been researching them and they seem the ideal mix of price/ability and the mods you can do to them but I was just wondering if there was a better alternative out there?

I like tinkering with things as much as using them, hence the cheaper scout and modding it, rather than a more expensive but more capable model straight out of the box.

Also, if anyone knows of anyone selling one, give me a shout.

Thanks in advance,

Rob.

• Like 1

I have one... I can't recommend any alternatives as i've only experience with the scout, but I can give you my personal thoughts on it.

I've got mixed feelings about it.

On the plus side it's cheap, there's plenty you can do to them, and they crawl pretty well in my limited experience. As a thing to tinker with it's pretty ok I'd say.

So far I've weighted the wheels, shortened all the links and driveshafts to fit a shorter wheelbase tamiya body, replaced the servo with a cheap but more torquey unit, replaced the servo arm which snapped the first time I tried to climb my stairs, done the diff mod (and greased all gears), replaced the motor with a spare tamiya silver can (because my god, less than walking pace is just too dam slow to go out on trails), moved the lower links inboard, limited the length of the shocks and cut the springs, chopped up the elecrtics platform and relocated everything lower down. Oh, and removed those dam bumpers.

So it's kept me busy for a good while, which is a very nice thing. Almost completely free mods too, bar the servo and arm.

On the negative side, well, it's cheap. It needs work to function how I want it, rather than warrants it as upgrades to an already nice machine... And if it's scaler type stuff you're after there's even more work to do, and actual money to spend (decent scale tyres/wheels for a start) which sort of defeats the point of a cheap tinkering toy. It loves it some torque twist too.

To sum up, I'm not regretting buying it and it's kept me plenty busy and provided a couple fun days out, but it really is what it is - a cheap RC crawler. In order to be anything else I suspect it'd need enough bits and bobs here and there that one might as well just buy a more expensive machine to begin with.

Edited by jjams82

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I think I would be after a dedicated crawler, rather than a scaler so the scout type would suit me best.

But you might be right as it is a cheaper model that requires a fair amount of mods (possibly money) to make it good, whereas something else may work out a similar price but perform much better.

Its only for taking out to the woods and other places or for using in the garden, nothing serious but I do like to have something that spends as much time in bits on the workbench as in one piece being used.

I need to think again maybe and have another look round, maybe an Axial, I do like the look of the Vaterra Slickrock but it may be a bit small?

Cheers,

Rob.

I've got a scout and the mods I did were cheap/free and it ended up being pretty capable. Only ever broke a shaft on mine and my kids gave it a hammering over rocks and through water etc for about 2 years.

Lower the shell FREE

Fuel tube shock mod VERY CHEAP or FREE if you already have some spare

Wheel weights CHEAP form 1:1 tyre place or adhesive roofing lead

Most expensive thing I bought was tyres but even then they were only about £25, sedonas or rovers.

Relocate esc FREE

Relocate smaller battery to front axle CHEAP

My Dad's been running one for almost two years now, still on stock servo and ESC and it's had more soakings than we can remember, it's performed very nicely.

I replaced the motor for him for a little bit more wheelspeed because going up in pinion isn't an option, but a 45t motor on 2s seems to suit it very well.

He runs a 4,000 Nano-Tech in the original position and to my surprise it doesn't tip over much.

When I had one I immeidately put a 2,200 mounted on the steering servo, but IMO it isn't absolutely necessary, I've used his many times and it's still capable.

He's lowered the body down and I lowered the shocks about 10mm, no wheel weights because that's rotational mass which you want to avoid at all costs, and it's very capable, it crawls over rocks well, the stock tyres grip fairly well, but they are still a stock RTR tyre, so aren't the best, but he's still using them and they work fine from the box.

I put 4WS on mine as well because one of the Scouts biggest downfalls is quite a poor turning circle, but 4WS made it worse, the turning circle was a little bit tighter but it was annoying to drive.

I'm not sure if (like the SCX10) there's a mod you can do with alloy knuckles, c hubs and CVDs to improve the turning circle or not, Dad seems happy with it as it is so I've never actually looked into it.

If I didn't already have my SCX10, I'd buy one again to run alongside his without fear of it being disappointing, I think the price point seems to lead people to believe they're bad and they just aren't :)

Thanks for the replys again everyone,

I am now considering the Vaterra Sliprock instead!

Has anyone got any opinions or advice on that one?

Found someone in work who has a few cars so had a quick go on his and it seems a nice bit of kit.

Cheers,

Rob.

• Like 1

Well, plans have changed! Ive been using a Vaterra Slickrock all weekend (have just had to give it back) and have also had a go with an Axial for a short while.

So now I am totally confused as to what to get.

I do like small scale stuff and the Slickrock is really nice but am thinking that the Axial isnt much more and gives loads of modding options.

Time for a wanted ad or two I think.

Cheers,

Rob

• 1 month later...

I'm also a happy Scout user who has done most of the standard mods mainly because it's a bit of fun. It depends on what you want really but the Scout has been very reliable and easy to work on. Mine is excellent for climbing but I have nothing to compare with. It's still on standard tyres but the rims have been holed/aired which made the tyres a lot softer. Also properly weighted and the battery on the front axle gives tremendous grip.

The biggest gripe may be the torque tilting which does look a bit silly, particularly with the Wrangler body on it now, but obviously does not affect it's abilities. There is something you can do to reduce it but I haven't quite understood the descriptions I'm afraid so that is something for the future ^_^

All in all it's a good mix of value for money, capability and modability I would say.

Whatever you choose I'm sure you'll enjoy it :P

1 minute ago, everclear1984 said:

I'm currently in the market for one of these. I've put up a wanted ad so hopefully something will come along soon :)

What about this mate, I think its the same as the scout, but with 4WS?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Monster-rock-crawler-1-10-RTR-4WD-2-4GHZ-Hummer-Fail-safe-Seben-Racing-/152020202833?hash=item23651c3551:g:jp0AAOSwpIdW7B6r

Had a Scout and they are the one to go for. Mine got most of the parts switched to Axial bits as they came up cheap on eBay, then converted from Crawler to scale. Though I moved over to a SCX10, I still think the Scout is the best entry one and use them as a source of cheap spares. I also have an HG P601. Not as bad as people think though they need modding and the 4x4 one is better(it at least turns), I have found the axles/drive train a weak point if you are hard on them. Changing mine over to Scout axles.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk