• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Maverick Desert Wolf, New but got some questions.

babyface

Hi all,

Got a Maverick Desert Wolf for bashing with recently, seems to run ok out the box but I have 2 questions due to my limited R/C experience.

Firstly the car doesn't seem to run in a dead straight line. I use the steering trim to adjust the steering so that the car runs straight, but when you then turn a corner, its then slightly out. So you go a trim up the steering again, turn another corner and the steering is out by the amount you just trimmed it up by the other way. I've checked all fixings and all is tight. There does seem to be a little play in the steering components without the servo moving.

Secondly range seems a little low, we are looking at 25m line of site before cut out. Is this about right for the setup supplied with the car - link below.

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/maverick-desert-wolf-1-8th-brushless-buggy/rc-car-products/389511

Many thanks

Alex

it may b the problem....too tight....so its binding up somewhere  possibly??...there will always b a bit of play in most things..sum is ok..but long as its not excessive.....or could possibly b the crap stock rtr servo...which r 99% of the time not worth having tbh.....so I`d chk that first...then may b look at a better servo...

Edited by evssv

The steering was the same before and after I check all the fixings, tightening didn't make any difference. The servo has max 1mm play on the arm, and after checking the my other r/c cars the Maverick has less play in the suspension and servo arm than they do.

Thanks

38 minutes ago, cookie666uk said:

stretch has one. he'll be along soon to help you out. its not trying to turn past the end points dictated by the hubs is it? the servo trying to push too far and turning in the horn slightly?

Not sure what you mean by horn, but I have already read the thread by Stretch (before purchase) and pulled back the max steering lock as the steering link was hitting the chassis brace. Again hasn't made any difference.

Edited by babyface

6 minutes ago, cookie666uk said:

the horn is the part mounted to the servo. plastic ones have a tendancy to round off after a while and slip on the servo

Ah ok ty. How do I test that?

Plus the servo is the following:

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/maverick-ms-29mg-digital-9.0kg-servo/rc-car-products/389672

There are lots more expensive, but lots cheaper as well.

Is the aerial fitted as per the pics on MS website?

I'd remove the plastic cap, straighten the end and use a longer piece of tube that shields the whole thing, with rubber cap on top....see if that helps....

14 hours ago, Noj said:

Is the aerial fitted as per the pics on MS website?

I'd remove the plastic cap, straighten the end and use a longer piece of tube that shields the whole thing, with rubber cap on top....see if that helps....

Yes its as per the pics, with straighten and try that.

Thanks

14 hours ago, stretch said:

I don't have the range issue with mine and although the servo moved when steering it always returned to centre. If you've tightened bolts up make sure they are no over tight.

No, I also run karts so know the joys of what happens when bolts are over tightened.

Its not as if the steering only has the problem on one side, so if you turn to the left, it needs re-centering to the right a touch, then do a right turn it needs then needs to be re-centred the same small amount (1 or 2 click's) the other way.

Lots to try so will report back soon.