• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Charging glow igniters with internal/removable battery

Burridge

So I've bought a couple of nitro cars off eBay recently and they've come with flow igniters with an internal battery, they have aluminium bodies and unscrew, revealing a removable battery abit smaller than a C size battery. But when connecting the igniter to a charger they don't seem to take on any charge? One of them has worked since I got it although after a few hours charging I'm unsure whether the glow from a connected glow plug is any brighter than before I charged it.

Do I need a deprecate charger just for the battery itself? Or are they supposed to charge with a mains adapted in the end of the igniter, and the ones I've got are just shagged? [emoji23][emoji23]

The batteries are called sub c batteries. Usually they charge through the end ofvthe ignitor, the charger has a plug similar in shape to the head of a glow plug. Its worth noting most chargers for these are trickle chargers so they may take upwards of 6 hours to charge. The link below is useful. 

http://www.csgnetwork.com/batterychgcalc.html

Simply find the mah rating on your battery and ma of your charger, both should be printed on them, type them in and you get a rough guide to charge time.

• Like 1

in the old days we used to use 12v batterys with a powerpanel, we could adjust the voltage down to our required need, say around 1.5v to get out glow starter running.

then came glowstick starters, they were a Nicad single battery cell usually a sub C in size ( some used a 2/3 battery) they were built as a whole unit and sold with a doggyend charger, they could take upto 5-6 hours to charge that tiny battery. but the main problem was, if the battery went dead or vented itself from poor use and care you could NOT replace it. you had to go buy another unit all over again.

in the end compants started to make glowstarters that you could rebuild, they came as a parts unit, the user could unscrew the body and remove the battery then strip down the whole unit. so would be stripped town to resolder the postiive wire back onto the button cap inside the main starter tube assembly. others to clean out the gunk from a bad battery leak or to replace with a battery that had a higher capacity.

soon after the starters had an upgrade, some companys were adding voltage meters to the glowstarters, giving the user an indication on how much power was left.
wont be long before these are replaced with 3.7v lipo cells and regulators and adjustments via small lcd screens and likes built into glowsticks

think about it, double the donkey kick in power, longer the charge as its a larger capacity and half the weight of a usual cell.
add in todays micro controllers a couple little buttons and a cheapy lcd, you have a fully working glowstarter, multi adjustable in voltage-current and full digital status readout. would you buy it ?

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

5 hours ago, Tamiyacowboy said:

in the oldisdays we used toituse 12v batterys with a powerpanel, we could adjust the voltage down to our required need, say around 1.5v to get out glow starter running.

then came glowstick starters, they were a Nicad single battery cell usually a sub C in size ( some used a 2/3 battery) they were built as a whole unit and sold with a doggyend charger, they could take upto 5-6 hours to charge that tiny battery. but the main problem was, if the battery went dead or vented itself from poor use and care you could NOT replace it. you had to go buy another unit all over again.

in the end compants started to make glowstarters that you could rebuild, they came as a parts unit, the user could unscrew the body and remove the battery then strip down the whole unit. so would be stripped town to resolder the postiive wire back onto the button cap inside the main starter tube assembly. others to clean out the gunk from a bad battery leak or to replace with a battery that had a higher capacity.

soon after the starters had an upgrade, some companys were adding voltage meters to the glowstarters, giving the user an indication on how much power was left.
wont be long before these are replaced with 3.7v lipo cells and regulators and adjustments via small lcd screens and likes built into glowsticks

think about it, double the donkey kick in power, longer the charge as its a larger capacity and half the weight of a usual cell.
add in todays micro controllers a couple little buttons and a cheapy lcd, you have a fully working glowstarter, multi adjustable in voltage-current and full digital status readout. would you buy it ?

In all honesty, no. I agree with the theory but also belive Its better In some cases to keep things simple so there Is less to go wrong.

in the old days we used to use 12v batterys with a powerpanel, we could adjust the voltage down to our required need, say around 1.5v to get out glow starter running.

Thinking about it, I have a vape mod box (e-cigarette basically) that has a 4500mah battery in it, variable wattage and voltage with lcd screen, if I could somehow get a glow plug adapter with a 510 thread on it I'd have myself a badass glow igniter [emoji23][emoji23]

• Like 1