• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Naza gps alternative required

craigbrown79

I folks I'm new to the quad scene, I've had rc cars for ages and are busy shopping around to build a quad copter from scratch. I've seen post of people mention about a Naza Gps system that has a return home feature, ad a static hover function.

can anyone recommend a similar system to the naza but not with out the big price tag..... Building on a budget at first  it'll be a f450 frame 

many thanks in advance

aye grab a Naza Lite M. its the gps version.

the naza M or the V2 as its know is in fact a naza Lite, its just been repackaged in a nice red color box.
and fully unlocked. 

the naza lite is a locked down model of the naza M and with some crafty tricking of the unit we can force it to upgrade itself to become a Naza M V2.
that cheap naza lite becomes a more expensive V2 model, and its all down to a software trick install.

the software update, will give you the standard Manual mode - gps mode - leveling mode , but it also adds on WAYPOINTS.
this means you can programe the controller to fly to a few selected points on google maps, upload it to the machine and it will fly that route and visit each waypoint you have specified

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

+1 for the naza lite 'upgrade' it does work and not that difficult to do

alternatively, look at the APM flight controller. I had v2.6 and got very good results. Bit more involved to get up and running but mission planner software provides waypoint flights too

2 hours ago, craigbrown79 said:

Can people recommend a good place to buy the naza from then?? For a first timer large quadcopter flyer is it best to use the naza or go for a normal flight controller???? 

I've always bought my stuff from - http://www.quadcopters.co.uk/ - not sure if they are the very cheapest though but great service.

For a first time flyer the Naza is very ideal, once you go through the ground check and it locks onto GPS you can literally put up to half power and hover it with no input.  If a gust of wind blows it it will go back to that GPS lock position.  Defo recommend it for that.  Further down the line if/when you get really into it you would probs want to look at a more open source one to really unlock a quads potential.