• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Yet another what to buy thread - sorry but suggestions gratefully received!

Bdcmassif

So, the title says it all really but here's what I'm looking for, I've only played with Tamiya before (I've got a Hotshot re-re which is fun, updated it to a Velineon motor and ESC and it does go some - will wait to see how long the stock gears last....)

I'm really looking for 1/8 size, living in Bucks the only clubs near me race on carpet with micro or touring cars and I'm not over enthused, and a little closer into London there is a good 1/8 scale dirt track with some half decent club racing that I'd like to get into http://www.fairlopcarclub.co.uk/ . Realistically club circuit racing would only be a possible however and no guarantee; what is certain is a lot of bashing on dirt/mud/grass in woods and a local skate park.

Things I'm sure of

Its got to be electric

Its got to bash well and at least be a competitive on a race circuit

1/8 size

Things I'd like

4s for racing possibly 6s for silliness!

Jumps well

Parts not impossible to source

Durable

Looks good

Budget is not really limited if its worth spending more I will, but lets say up to £900 for everything (electronics if its a kit and  not RTR - batteries and balance charger - most likely a transmitter too but not essential - basic tools/spares if necessary to buy straight away). I think I'd prefer to stay away from monster trucks and look at buggy/truggy/SCT

I've looked at a Vorza but there are quite a few posts about it not being the best on the track, I'm not sure how much I should read into this?

Thanks for your help, I'm sure I'm in safe hands!

I don't have 1/8 but from looking at your wants and needs I'd probably suggest a losi 8ight of some sort as they are well known to be durable and sturdy whilst also being better on the track than a hyper 7 which is probably the best for cost/durability for the amount of fun you can have

Have you seen what they run at the track as to whether it's truggy or buggy, truggy will help with the bashing side of things also

Battery wise there is hobbywing as plenty will suggest, chargers can also be had from there or other places and I'm are others will be along with their favourites/best buys

Radio gear for out and out bashing flysky gt3b/c are good as they have lots of features and dont break the bank, however depends on how seriously you'll get into racing as proper racers say they have lag compared to the more expensive and quality stuff

Love both the Associated and Losi buggies, only thing stopping me is they run 4S not 6S - Is 6S so stupid it isn't worth it? If so I'll go for one of them for sure. If 6S is worthwhile I may consider something else. Thanks all

For your money I'd get a Hyper VS roller (80% prebuilt) and drop in a decent brushless combo with a low kv leopard 4274 so you can run 4S or 6S. Then you can get a nice radio, and lipos, and HoBao parts are cheap.

As you progress you can keep the radio and electrics and swap to a higher end chassis like a Losi 8, Tekno EB48, Durango Dex 8 or Serpent Cobra E. Trouble with starting out on a high end 1:8 buggy is that parts are either pricey or hard to get ot both. I have a an ET48 and a Dex408 and I'm too scared to bash them hard.

You will have a more drivable car on 4S.

Basher sabertooth and save yourself a fortune

I've got 8 1/8 brushless truggys buggys mt's

And with a 150a esc and a 1515 2000kv motor on 5s and 6s it's great

Tbh I don't use any of the others much

Forgot to mention you can get a dustbin full of spares for a fiver to

Edited by gouldypg