• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Li-ion info please.

big turbo

Just want to know the....

charge rate, is it the same as lipo 1c?

voltage when fully charged ?

minimum discharge voltage? 

And finally storage voltage?

cheers.

I believe charge rate is 1c, however I charge at 0.5c because the wiring so too small to charge any higher

they are 4.1v per cell and will need the charger setting accordingly 

i don't know the max discharge voltage? I do know that they are very forgiving to over discharge 

I've never storages charged one! They don't suffer cell breakdown like Lipo's, mine have been fully charged for two years and still work! I'm sure I've shortened their life but they are still going 

they do have a very low C discharge rating, I had to make a 2s3p pack so it had the power to run my 5ive servos without significant voltage drop

None whatsoever! Our cordless tools use ion chemistry, not polymer, but I've yet to find a definitive guide as to what the differences are. Ion cells do need low voltage protection, usually built in to the cells. 

I'm genuinely interested. 

Do not use Li-ion cells for r/c models. Ever. They are low-discharge cells and will fry if you try to pull the amount of current an r/c requires from them.

Assuming you didn't mean LiPo, LiFe/LiFePo4 or LiMn instead, or A123 cells which are metal-cased LiFe and look similar to Li-ion cells.

As for a guide about cell types and how to look after them- look no further than my Tutorials guide in my signature below. Li-ion cells charge up just like Lipo or LiFe cells, and have the same voltages pretty much- 3.6-3.7v nominal, 4.2v fully charged. Be sure to use a charger or charge profile designed for Li-ion cells if you plan to use them in any low-drain / low-current draw application.

Edited by suicideneil

Do not use Li-ion cells for r/c models. Ever. They are low-discharge cells and will fry if you try to pull the amount of current an r/c requires from them.

Assuming you didn't mean LiPo, LiFe/LiFePo4 or LiMn instead, or A123 cells which are metal-cased LiFe and look similar to Li-ion cells.

As for a guide about cell types- look no further than my Tutorials guide in my signature...

The proverbial bad penny! Seriously, where you been hiding? ;) 

I've been using them for two years in nitro, petrol and transmitters and they have been perfect. I can keep them charged without noticeable cell degrading and I haven't blown any up, which is nice! 

However, for brushless power, I wouldn't touch anything other than Li-po