• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Opinions on the "Devastator" 1/24 crawler?

Well, I got it - it appears to be super-modable, the stock battery is a bit limp but the ESC/receiver can take up to 9v so I plugged a little 2s Lipo in to test and it runs very nicely.

The articulation isn't perfect (could use slightly less spring, even with the heavier battery) but the speed & torque is fine, and the tyres are suited to indoor crawling more than outdoors (though they shouldn't get too clogged in mud thanks to the big tread pattern).  The controller is nice, the chassis & drivetrain is great, and it's big enough that it could be converted over to a regular micro ESC & standard 9g servos if needed, and would then really tear things up.

It's also a good size to have a 1/24 static kit based hard body fitted (the stick body is a little on the small size), I happen to have an unloved Tamiya one sitting around (that I rescued from a skip) which I'll be working on next time there's a rainy day :)

• 4 weeks later...

Ftx ibex £72 is the best price so far.

I saw these an hour ago on ebay and started thinking to get one instead of the cell phone crawler. The hbx devastator and ftx ibex look cool. I bet they could make a great scale monster truck if there's a 1/24 model grave digger or other monster Jam kits that'd be cool.

The only thing I don't like is the elecs sounds like you'll be stuck with the Std set up and nobody likes 5 wire servos.

Banggood also have another similar crawler one24  scale only £42 aswel I think it's a hsp I'm gonna watch those around the forums too. But it's chassis isn't a cool looking as the hbx/ftx. 

I need to just sit back again and watch and wait to see what people achieve with their builds and decide which way to go.

I've always wanted a losi mini trail trekka but think I missed ther glory day so hoping to hit the next big hit micro crawler and be around for the custom parts coming out. 

I picked an ftx ibex up this afternoon as a bit of indoors fun, I saw them about 6 months ago when I went in the lhs one day and the 'rep' was there doing a demo and I thought it looked pretty cool. (at this time ftx didn't have a name, price or release date) and I kept looking around for them and for people's reviews and could'nt find them until recently. Just happened to finish work early lol so went to have a closer look....

It's currently on charge :-D

• Like 1

That looks brilliant, do they have all metal wheels? 

I'll keep watching, by performance boost do you mean other geared motor or do you plan on fitting something else if that was possible I would be back in. 

I have a 1/35 hunter coming now but already think it might be too small too slow. But very cool still my daughter could always use the 1/35 if I do get another micro. 

Hi RCbutcher, yes all metal, genuine bead locks! Gonna take mine apart and paint the outer plate lime green to add to the digger look! Performance wise, not sure what i'm going to do yet, but i'd like it to go a bit faster. Only just getting back into the hobby after a long break so some research to be done. Already read about a few upgrades using losi parts.                               Out of the box it is a very capable crawler, great fun!

I had a quick blast of mine last night, it's a bit fiddly to get the charger in and out easily but that's to be expected on this tiny thing. Charge time of about 2 hours, not sure of run time as the Mrs came downstairs so I quickly put it back in the box like I'd not been playing haha. It seemed quite capable of climbing over my 2 year olds toys that were strewn across the living room easily enough, next time out I'll make an obstacle course for it. I've never had a crawler before so not sure what speeds to expect, it crawls along lol sure it's faster in reverse?

its a shame really. nice little crawler but that motor n center box aint cutting it for modding.

heres what i would do ( i made the first ever MGLT crawler it was a kiddies toy made into a mini crawler).

first off your keeping the whole truck but modding the center drive and the shock system. the center drive to use would be from a venom mini giant.
and mini giant chassis. you extend your drive output shafts so you can add longer bottom links and remove the top link set and replace with  a set of new longer ones.
you shift the shock mounting point on chassis to line with the new placement of axle and replace the shocks with mini t rear shocks. if you wnated you could go hardcore and create a ladder chassis. 

tyres are a B word. they dont grip to well crawling, i had to re-cut my tyres so they had potato like lugs on the tyre not those zaggy strips, the tyre mod allowed fro the machines tyres to grip around rocks , i used a mini -t standard NIMH battery pack back in the day as thats what i had to hand. worked a treat to.
body wise i went with a Micro 1/18th vw beetle body (baja beetle ).

body wise the 1/18th scale baja beetles fit on, the mini -t and rc18t bodys not so, BUT if you find a 1/18th scaled plastic kit model its possible with some shifting using adjustable tie rods as lower and upper chassis braces you can adjust wheel base, so a willys jeep or that landrover d110 body is possible. and the wheel size and tyres size is small anyways so should give that rugged off road snow tundra style look 

• 2 months later...

hi guys.

I like the look of the Ibex for the living room for my son.

Warning - noob questions (sorry)!

Just wanted to know how easy it is to get the battery out, as it looks well concealed. So I can swap in a fully charged one in to keep rolling.

how long does it run on the stock battery? Which lipo would fit this and would that need it's own separate lipo charger?

thanks

Langers

• 2 years later...
On 24/12/2015 at 12:31, stevo2551 said:

I had a quick blast of mine last night, it's a bit fiddly to get the charger in and out easily but that's to be expected on this tiny thing. Charge time of about 2 hours, not sure of run time as the Mrs came downstairs so I quickly put it back in the box like I'd not been playing haha. It seemed quite capable of climbing over my 2 year olds toys that were strewn across the living room easily enough, next time out I'll make an obstacle course for it. I've never had a crawler before so not sure what speeds to expect, it crawls along lol sure it's faster in reverse?

While this was some time ago can you or anyone else give a typical run time for the FTX Ibex?

• 3 months later...