• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

bashing vs racing ....

Matt1986

being a newbie im looking around what would suit me ? 

I would like to get into racing but also would like to start with some off the track use to get used to using them and driving skills . I have been advised on here if intend to do some bashing would be better to go for 1:8 scale as more robust . The kits are more expensive i have if i want to build myself but found RTR are quite reasonable . But are they easy to upgrade with extra parts and can i race in the scale too ? 

If i want to do just racing i guess it would be best to go for 1:10 ?

Edited by Matt1986

I'm no racer, but the question crops up often enough :)

First thing to do before racing is to find your local track, go along there....and see what they are running. There are classes for all sorts of different scales, but what's the point in buying a buggy only to find they don;t race that type anywhere near you. You can get to know what is popular, get to know hte guys running the place, and generally find out if it's for you or not.

If you just want to mess about and have fun, then the criteria for car choice are a bit different.

1) Do you want electric or nitro? Pros and Cons to both.....depends on the person.

2) What's your budget? Does that include all the extras you will need to buy on top of the car?

3) Where do you plan on running the thing mostly? This can influence the scale of car, the type of car, and the answer to 1) as well!

4) What do you like? Do you like big monster trucks, buggies, on road? Pretty varied selection of RC vehicles out there, and you really want to buy something that YOU like, rather than what someone tells you is good.

The benefit of a forum like this is that we can usually tell you what NOT to buy from experience so you get something which wont fall apart first run, which has spares backup when you break bits, and which will do what you want it to do. Just need a few pointers as to what you like etc. and I am sure we can recommend a few to look at :)

As a 1/10th racer myself, to keep things simple I've standardised on 540 motor 2S lipo powered stuff for bashing and racing alike. 1/10ths can bash pretty much anywhere 1/8ths can - My (actually 1/12th) Wheely King for example has a higher ground clearance and slightly larger tyre diameter than my old 1/8 ST1. OK the WK is an unstable monster truck, whilst the ST1 was a low slung truggy but its just about picking the right model.

I'll also say that these days I bash more than I race, just because there aren't that many places to race so you have to travel a lot to get to them. If I was nearer to the track things would be different. Find out what there is near you can decide if its near enough first!

as mentioned in the newbie section i want to get into racing electric buggys but also would use it not so often on flat roads like a farmyard etc . but eventually i would like another car to bash with but thinking nitro would be my prefernce for bashing if had 2 cars . i have given up my other hobby's as needed a workshop and storage space like a garage with drive but my living circumstances have changed . so this is why im getting back into rc . 

Oh my local track is a 10 min drive from me i pass it everyday to work .

what's peoples view on a team associated rc10 ?

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/associated-rc10-worlds-car-kit/rc-car-products/381127

budget is around £200 for the kit with extras on top , thing is i enjoy the building and modifications side of this hobby .

Its virtually identical to my original, though they have used some more modern materials and manufacturing techniques in places so its a little better built. All parts are drop in replacements for mine though.

They make great bashers, but unless there is a vintage class not great racers. Even then my Manta Ray (similar age but 4wd) is better in vintage class.

oh does anyone know where i can get the serpent srx2 kit from ? 

cheers 

Note:// vintage classes are fun but few and far between.  nearly everyone who races vintage does so over and above modern 1:10 racing fyi.

As with any model you buy, spares support is important (not that you need many with serpent) so this may sway you away from buying a serpent.  However Serpent Uk is growing and will look after you if you need parts etc.  But I would always call them/email them before ordering.  I use my local shop W&A modellbau in Germany but there postage may not suit you in the Uk.  That being said other German shops sell serpent too with good postage rates.  Or you can try profimodel (best price) in czech (you will need to call them and there english website is bad :( ). It was for spares availability that I mentioned the B5m to you ;) not to mention I can almost guarantee others at your track will be running B5m too.

NOW://  As you have been away for such a long time and so much has changed I shall attempt to bring you up to speed:  Please read into what I comment for a better understanding.

• Rear vs mid motor:  Rear motor is almost completely outdated on buggys now,  you want a mid motor model no matter where you will be running it.  That being said Serpent is about to release a newer further forward motor chassis for high grip tracks (astro, carpet etc).
  • Brushless motors:  you want a 540 sized can and sensored for 1:10 2wd racing
  • ESC:  You will want a sensored ESC.  All require minor programming of some sort.  But now days you can get programming cards (not all are compatible with each other) that make this job very easy indeed.  As for what you need.  I reccomend a hobbywing v2.1 120a esc   You can get cheaper but for HW's price you cant get better quality imo.  Before buying ask again here as electronics can be bought cheaply from china and HK (fast shipping these days and you will receive what you can buy locally with good savings.
  • Lipos:  A lot of people buy from Hobbyking.  There prices are simply cheap.  Quality is good but not great.  Again ask back here as most of us would have already tried what you intend to buy and can comment upon there quality. (as the specs vary so does the quality)  or Gens ace are also good affordable lipos.  Then comes a large price hike for local named brand lipos :(

I Hope that helps a little.

As far as modern kits go, there are now so many tuning options you can make to the models you can spend nearly forever adjusting the possibilities.  Fortunately there are setup sheets online that will put you in the ballpark for your said track.  Again however, running a model that other local racers have helps.

Do people run 1:10 on your local Swindon track?  Get down to there next meet :good:

Edited by Deafty
emoticon issues with new forum update

Thanks for all that information, slowly everything is making more sense too . I see what people are saying about mid engine cars , best for track use but think was thinking back in days when I did it when most had rear motor buggys and my head stuck in that way .

But then I would still like a rear engine car as more of a mess about basher type , I know people say to use a 1:8 scale but it's just the price for a decent make in that size . Was thinking would this be feasible to start with and learn about the electrics and car modifications etc 

Edited by Matt1986

yes. many times and I know others have too.  I only ever had 1 issue when I ordered tons of small packets and they mixed up the part numbers (actually kinda understandable).  They sent out the correct ones and told me to keep the wrong ones.  Remember though that ordering outside the EU may incur additional tax.  I have never had this with asiatees as they mark the prices down below the threshold but its a fyi ;)

If u buy a full kit from them though expect to pay extra (kinda hard to miss a big box in at customs).  I think it's around 18% tax + a stupid 8 pound handling fee.  Note for all non Eu orders:  If u use FedEx and I now believe DHL you will be guaranteed to pay these addtional fees.  They send you a bill later on.

What are u looking at buying from asiatees?

Edited by Deafty
typo

If you read the specs at the bottom it's a kit , copied text of the specs from link I posted ..

This vehicle comes as a kit and must be fully assembled by the user. Requires 2 channel radio/transmitter set with switch – FM/PCM/2.4GHz recommended, ESC, motor, and pinion, High-torque steering servo, Tyres, 4S LiPo battery & charger.

AS80907 Associated RC8.2e Factory Team Kit

Associated RC8.2e Factory Team Kit AS80907
£279.00
Was: £399.99
Save £120.99
Buy Now
icon-green-tick.gif In Stock
free_delivery_icon.png
Free Delivery to most UK Mainland Destinations. See terms and conditions.

Team Associated has taken all of the refinements from the RC8.2 and have applied them to our electric-power platform-creating the RC8.2e Factory Team Kit! The RC8.2e has already been proven as a winner after TQing and winning the 2011 Sidewinder Nitro Explosion in the capable hands of Ryan Cavalieri.

The RC8.2e Factory Team Kit has a long list of new performance parts, making for the best and lightest Associated EP 1:8 scale buggy to date. The RC8.2e starts with the Factory Team +3mm 7075 hard anodized chassis. The new chassis and side-guards shed over half an ounce along with adding 3mm of length to optimize weight distribution and overall handling.

The RC8.2e Factory Team Kit also received the newly designed suspension arms featuring centerline shock mounts and an optimized anti-roll bar position. The new suspension arms were designed to work with the Factory Team 5mm 7075 aluminum low-center-of-gravity shock towers to improve and optimize the suspension geometry, making the RC8.2e more plush and forgiving in rougher terrain.

The RC8.2e Factory Team Kit includes the 16mm Big Bore hard-anodized threaded shocks with 4mm titanium-nitride coated shafts and revised shock boots, all to help increase traction and keep the rubber on the ground. The RC8.2e Factory Team Kit also proves to be an exceptional value, including many Factory Team parts that were previously only available as separately purchased upgrades.

Take your electric-powered 1:8 scale buggy game to the next level with the new RC8.2e Factory Team Kit, and drive what the winners drive

•