• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Project Blackout: The Dirty Gasser

Hyper-d

Thought it was only fair I start a thread for this truck seeing as it's brother has one. Bought this truck second hand from a forum member a few years ago and has provided some great fun.

E1DA276E-F321-40A9-9B0E-1BCD1845F2BD_zps

What I've done so far -

2x turnigy 1270 servos on steering duty

Hobby king throttle servo

Hpi 4300mah nimh

31/29/25/25 hd gearset

Baja air filter

Obr 34cc full mod

Ddm dominator exhaust

Motors only had 20 mins runtime, was hoping to have it ran in for bashfest but will have to finish it when I get there.

http://youtu.be/CEylgc_3pJ0

The last bodyshell got annihilated on the bf oval in May so will hopefully have one formed and sprayed over the next few days.

Edited by Hyper-d

It's looking mean, very nice. I really like the 5th monsters but there's something that stops me watching them on youtube some look like they haul and real fun. Most look like ther struggling and very unstable.

It's probably the owner tho how they set up and drive it. Mainly talking about the fg mt tho.

Edited by RCbutcher
  • Like 1

Thanks bud :) it's a work in progress and have a lot of cosmetic work planned.

Yeah I know what you mean a about 1/5 mt's looking/being slow. Can't comment on the fg but the standard motor and pea shooter in the blackout do make it pretty sluggish. I copied Sean vrs and added a baja ss pipe which made a noticeable difference all round.

The current set up I have now is looking very promising :)

• 8 months later...

Well after after a lot of transmission problems at augusts BHBF last year I started to fall out with this truck. It burned through two clutches in as many tanks but I couldn't for the life of me work out what the problem was. I'd read that the plastic transmission plate could be a possible cause for my problems as it warps from the heat of the motor so I ordered the aluminium tranny plate and brake mount. I also hit the buy button a belt drive system that I've had my eye on for a while.

before pics...

8D7066A0-24CD-4153-B302-22B278FC3FE9_zps

06C17585-F457-4526-B921-15DB587412F5_zps

C1432A59-AF25-49AF-BE8C-DCE44EE93AFD_zps

After pics...

CFC4B5C7-0F57-425F-9ABE-22ED01D25FC4_zps

71B6B1E0-379B-407F-8F56-AE0D5C057E1B_zps

E75434FD-45E8-4710-BE3D-DC92DCF8408B_zps

8FDD8DB9-FB48-41E0-AF63-1F1840AD39F8_zps

when I was installing the new brake mount I finally found the source of the problems, a dodgy bloody layshaft!!!! So swapped it out for the spare one.

• Like 2

I do love the Blackout, It's all well and good all these 5ive's knocking about, But there all the same, Everyone does the same and puts the same stuff on them, So pardon the pun, You just have a load of 5ive clones, The Blackout just looks fun and different.

Yep blackouts are a lot of fun, but I still want a 5ive. I've had a 5ive bzm pipe for nearly three years now!...... Just no 5ive lol

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hyper-d said:

Yep blackouts are a lot of fun, but I still want a 5ive. I've had a 5ive bzm pipe for nearly three years now!...... Just no 5ive lol

That's how I managed to force myself to make it happen, I'd always wanted a BL 5ive, so in the end I bought the conversion kit first, then I had no choice but to find a car! Ok, it's an X2, but that's close enough! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tug said:

That's how I managed to force myself to make it happen, I'd always wanted a BL 5ive, so in the end I bought the conversion kit first, then I had no choice but to find a car! Ok, it's an X2, but that's close enough! 

Has it lived up to your expectations?  

11 minutes ago, scatteh316 said:

I'm been close to getting another Blackout but just a little apprehensive as to how the diff cups will hold up to my style of driving and how it'll cope with my ESP G320.

Do it ;)

my diff cups seem to be holding up ok. Since I put the obr in I have managed to lose two dog pins( both times front left) if it continues I'll try making the groove a little deeper.

14 minutes ago, Tug said:

A 5ive is defo my next addition to the fleet. That zorst has been sat on the shelf for far too long! Mine will be a losi though. Not because of the whole clone crap( I own a km btw) but because of the paint scheme I have in mind.

34 minutes ago, Hyper-d said:

Do it ;)

my diff cups seem to be holding up ok. Since I put the obr in I have managed to lose two dog pins( both times front left) if it continues I'll try making the groove a little deeper.

A 5ive is defo my next addition to the fleet. That zorst has been sat on the shelf for far too long! Mine will be a losi though. Not because of the whole clone crap( I own a km btw) but because of the paint scheme I have in mind.

I've always liked the Blackout, just wasn't sure on the skippy suspension and whether or not the drivetrain was up to scratch. 

31 minutes ago, Tug said:

And a whole lot more! Do these things actually "break"? ;)

I've yet to break mine and it's had some very bad landings from 8-10 feet in the air....... And out of the 5 that's in my group I've only seen one bent suspension arm pin from a very harsh landing.

Edited by scatteh316
  • Like 1