• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Turnigy Lipo, which connectors for Rustler VXL

willeymunda

Oh nice one smeg, I read that the Turnigy Nano Tech batteries are good value for money? I was looking at a 6000mah with a 65c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You dont really need such a high C rating, make sure the batteries fit the tray and the battery holder will still go on and the wires will exit without having to cut some of the wall.

Personally I just use the the standard blue soft case or hard case Turnigy lipos. Tried the Nanotechs but couldnt see any difference.

I always soldered my own connectors to the batteries so dont know what ones they supply with TRX connector pre-installed.

And if I went down the soldering route would I need male or female traxxas connectors to put on the battery?

conventionally batteries have the female connector as this gives less chance of shorting on any nearby metal.

Locky, Did you have to solder traxxus connectors onto that battery? If so what did you use?

First cut/remove one Turnigy battery wire say positive, pre-tin wire and TRX contact plate, solder to Traxxas connector, insert contact plate into TRX connector making sure polarity matches ESC connector. Repeat with negative wire.

You can also get connectors from HK....http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__9762__Traxxas_Compatible_Plug_Male_Female_10pairs_set_.html

Suggest get at least 2 batteries - more run time, more fun.

If you not soldered before then find some videos.

Dont short the battery wires = sparks.

Thank you very much for your help.

I did see them connectors on that site previously but out of stock in UK and international.

Hence whether I need male or female connectors for the battery because I can get the new Traxxas connectors with no loss of connection but they sell them as male or female packs and they are a fair bit more expensive that the hk compatible ones.

Shall I order male or female? I'm presuming I don't need both?

Thank you very much for your help.

I did see them connectors on that site previously but out of stock in UK and international.

Hence whether I need male or female connectors for the battery because I can get the new Traxxas connectors with no loss of connection but they sell them as male or female packs and they are a fair bit more expensive that the hk compatible ones.

Shall I order male or female? I'm presuming I don't need both?

Battery = female connector

ESC = male connector

Or you could use an adapter to go from HXT connector on Turnigy battery to TRX connector on ESC.......http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RC-Female-Traxxas-HXT-4mm-LiPo-Battery-Adapter-LiPo-Battery-Adapter-/281770326817?hash=item419ad1fb21

Or....http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__34467__HXT_4mm_to_TRX_Compatible_Plug_Battery_Adapter_2pcs_bag_UK_Warehouse_.html?strSearch=hxt%20adapter

So you have 3 choices now - battery already with TRX connector, solder TRX connector to battery, use adapter lead.

Have a search on Traxxas forums and see what batteries people are generally using now.

Choice is yours depending on your budget, skills, inclination.

Do you have a battery charger for lipo batteries?

Edited by locky

Yea I bought an overlander rc6-vsp charger. I like the sound of the turnigy batteries but not a lot of them in stock on hk with the traxxas connections which was why it looks like soldering hence needing to know what connectors to buy.. As even the packs of connectors are out of stock in hk so can get some of the fancy new ones from traxxas at the mode shop when I buy the new pinion and spur.

At least if I solder I can have a look at the battery's u recommended that are only

Have you checked exactly which connectors are on the Rustler? Traxxas have recently changed to a different shape connector, which may not connect with their previous connectors....

Edited by Noj

Have you checked exactly which connectors are on the Rustler? Traxxas have recently changed to a different shape connector, which may not connect with their previous connectors....

The new connectors are compatable with the old ones.

The new ones have a bigger connector cause the battery one has the balance leads as part of it,that of course requires the correct type of charger which I beleive only Traxxas sell at the moment.