• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

1:1 Motorbikers

HYPER-BOY

No idea what MCN are smoking when they write out the tech specs for bikes, but they said my bike will do about 135 miles on a full tank on a good day.

I just clocked 209 miles and about 150 weren't easy ones either, the last maybe 50ish were fairly easy going just to the post office and bakery etc... But the rest were going pretty hard into the revs having fun, with what was in the tank, I reckon on a full eco run, brimmed to empty, I'd easily clear 250 miles from a tank, the light wasn't even on at this point, which I believe it has about 20 miles after the light comes on.

30096950298_0b17139efd_b.jpg

44 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

It's a 600.

Supposedly better than the 1000, according to some of the 1000 owners I've met who used to own 600's.

I have had both. FZ6 and FZ1. Trust me, the extra weight from the FZ1 is not worth it. The 600's are plenty quick enough for the roads. In most case's too quick. My FZ6 demolished most fast cars. Loved the torque of the FZ1. But she was a heavy unit.

I now ride a CBR600RR. It's really light, and smooth as silk. 

1 hour ago, steephill said:

I have had both. FZ6 and FZ1. Trust me, the extra weight from the FZ1 is not worth it. The 600's are plenty quick enough for the roads. In most case's too quick. My FZ6 demolished most fast cars. Loved the torque of the FZ1. But she was a heavy unit.

I now ride a CBR600RR. It's really light, and smooth as silk. 

Well coming from a 125, I love how light the Fazer is, this is the older FZS600 though not the newer FZ line, mines a 2000.

But yes, around the twisty stuff, all the power in the world isn't going to make you go faster, a 600 is enough, as much as I would love a KTM Superduke 990, which is considerably more powerful and torquey, it's unnecessary for me at the moment.

I fancy taking a sports bike for a test ride, I've never ridden one yet.

New video :D 

I rate the older 600 Fazer over the FZ6. The later motor was a lot revvier, and was pretty much an R6 spec. Didn't suit the riding position or the lack of weather protection. They need winding up before they go, so in London...that means losing hte traffic light Grand Prix every time :) I prefer a lazier motor with more low down grunt. Overweight, slow by modern standards and utterly unfashionable.... so I pick a bike like me.

Edited by Nitroholic

5 hours ago, Nitroholic said:

I rate the older 600 Fazer over the FZ6. The later motor was a lot revvier, and was pretty much an R6 spec. Didn't suit the riding position or the lack of weather protection. They need winding up before they go, so in London...that means losing hte traffic light Grand Prix every time :) I prefer a lazier motor with more low down grunt. Overweight, slow by modern standards and utterly unfashionable.... so I pick a bike like me.

I definitely prefer the boxeye to the frogeye, I actually am really falling in love with my bike.

At first, I was loving it, because it was all new and exciting, then I wondered if maybe a twin was a better option, but now I am just thoroughly enjoying riding it everytime I go out.

Just not looking forward to the garage visit, I have a really bad feeling it's more serious than valve clearances :unsure:

Camchain tensioners can stick .... but that's an easy fix. If the bike has had reasonable oil changes, then there shouldn;t be much wrong with it. They are tough as old boots. I can't think of any major faults with them at all..other than potential owner neglect as they were often a 'first big bike' which can mean owners who don;t know what maintenance is required.

It didn't sound top end-noisy in the vids...so it should be fine

Chain and sprockets done, gave the rear end a bit of a clean as well while it was apart.
Weirdly, the knocking has now gone, do we think I was right in it maybe being the chain rattling? As you can see, it was very very loose, when taken off, it's absolutely shot, when I started it up, my old man had a listen as well and he said there's no knocking noise at all, might not be the best idea testing for noises inside my garage either.
Also these tyres also aren't designed for hard cornering lol, they're bobbling quite badly, when it's time for new rubber, I'll invest in something a bit better I think.
It's entirely possible, I plan to hopefully go for a gentle run tomorrow and see how it goes, it might save me 100quid in garage fees anyway.

42305365110_0b576b9248_b.jpg

Eurgh, grime!

43395893034_8eb637cd1f_b.jpg

Clean and fresh :D (enough lol)

42305365320_cf9c17892c_b.jpg

@Nitroholic - thanks for that too, the oil that came out of it wasn't that bad, I've put just over 3k on the clock too, so the previous owner must have changed the oil like he said he had done, a few people online when reading up about cam chains and valves mentioned there's had 50-60k+ on the clock and had never been adjusted after the 16k service.

I think it's just my imagination a bit, combined with the rattling chain and echoes from inside out garage.

Worth cleaning that muck out from under the sprocket cover .... Yamaha...in their wisdom...have put hte clutch lifting mechanism there. They are not alone in this... but it can lead to a less smooth clutch action than ideal.

Kawasaki did the same with the old Zeds, and the sludge combined with grit does no favours, getting into the clutch cable, and clogging the mechanism. Filthy job...but not one you need to do that often. Also....using a good chain lube helps.

Forget the rest...and buy PJ1 Blue. I ride all year round in all weathers...and I have never had a lube that does a better job. Plus...it stays where you put it. Not all over the back of the bike...the wheel...the number plate... just on the chain. Also.....apply lube AFTER a ride, not before. Pull in...on the centre stand...spray it on. The chain will be pretty hot still, and hte lube melts and flows into all the nooks and crannies. Better that way than spraying it on a cold chain...coating the outside, and having none where it needs it.

Avoid Castrol chain wax unless you like rusty chains....and Muc Off can....well..Muc right off until they learn how to make lube that doesn't fly everywhere.

• Like 2

Yeah the cover was thoroughly cleaned, I just didn't take an 'after' picture of it, as my hands were covered!

I've been using a WD40 branded chain oil, then bought some Rockoil spray wax, because I use there other oils and cleaners on RC stuff and really rate them, but I will see how it goes and might try some of that PJ1 stuff, I've not yet really used the bike in bad weather regularly, but starting this new job soon should give me plenty of bad weather riding, so we'll see how it goes.

Yep, already know to apply after a ride, similar to cleaning, loads of folk clean after a ride, ready for next time, then leave all the water settling and rusting up everything.

I always clean before a ride, then it all dries off, it's common sense when you just think about it for a minute or two.

Nice bug Suzy .... and if you use it all year round, it's looking good. Whilst Suzuki make some strong motors...their idea of paint and chrome needs a rethink! Neglect the cleaning, and the road salt eats them very quickly.

Here's how my CB750 looks currently ...

Zlm0CNa.jpg

h0LmWa9.jpg

z9GcCcc.jpg

• Like 2

I nearly bought one a while back before I settled on the 900 Hornet. I just couldn't find one in decent order. They wqere either silly money...or grotty and neglected. One supposedly reputable dealer tried to sell me a real heap for £4000. They described it as 'good'...which apparantly meant pitted forks, frame rust, a flat battery, an immobiliser they couldn't get to switch off and a saggy chain.

Then I pointed out the accident damage to the tank and clocks they had hidden behind a flyscreen.

I pointed out the issues and reckoned there was around £500 of work just to get it decent...and they offered to do the work and add it to the bill.

I had to wait until I had stopped laughing before I could walk away.

Thanks peeps, I love it mine is a bit abused to be honest the picture makes her look better than she is.

I had the forks re-chromed and bottoms re powdered about 4 years ago and they are still good today.

I would love to strip and rebuild but shes my daily rider.

I brought her in 2009 with 7000 on the clock for £3700 recently offered £3500 for a trade in, I nearly did but I just couldn't let go! 

They are really saught after these days and people always  offer to buy at meets.

The 6 pot calipers are useless and I recently did a sideways upgrade to 4 pots which seem better, here's another pic not quite so setup just in local hospital car park 

YCJ0NOQ.jpg

Yeah...the 6 pots are better in theory...but in practice, they never worked as designed and were corrosion prone. 4 pots much better, and plenty really. I mean...back in the day I was stopping bikes this size and weight with a pair of single pot calipers. 

Hang on to it ?

As I found, modern design has moved away from simple clean design and instead gone to random plastic lumps and angular lines. I like neat and minimalist. Hence my decision to go very old school

I've just come across this by accident and I used to be into my bikes big time until a good few years ago and I've not really had many since!! But coming across this thread I thought that I'd share my experiences with some of you!! And the very last bike that I had was an Honda cb750 that had had a lot of work done too it!! The paintwork alone must've cost a good few grand!! It was beautifully air-brushed with lots of shiny chrome parts etc!! N I actually got it from the dvla direct, someone hadn't been paying their insurance or sumat coz they took it off someone for a reason!! :) So I ended up with a great bargain of a bike :)

On 23/08/2018 at 08:45, Nitroholic said:

Yeah...the 6 pots are better in theory...but in practice, they never worked as designed and were corrosion prone. 4 pots much better, and plenty really. I mean...back in the day I was stopping bikes this size and weight with a pair of single pot calipers. 

Hang on to it ?

As I found, modern design has moved away from simple clean design and instead gone to random plastic lumps and angular lines. I like neat and minimalist. Hence my decision to go very old school

Will hang on to it such a good all rounder and has the look I like, enough power for today's roads. And turns heads

Some photos from today, it was a pretty wet day overall, but can't complain, we enjoyed it and my first official 'selfie' with my DSLR... Not bad for 15,000 or so shots without taking one lol!

The waterfalls were gushing pretty good, considering even when it's rained they are normally a trickle and a train went through just at the right time, nothing exciting, but excellent timing.

43338310955_1bb7c27915_b.jpg

44195297992_b8a96db9f8_b.jpg

43338310105_d543087149_b.jpg

29308442687_9ee75521bc_b.jpg

30377004538_e38d437fce_b.jpg

43338309685_518fb03839_b.jpg

43338308835_2a91256ed1_b.jpg

43338308065_deb3c3a340_b.jpg

43338307715_13517191f1_b.jpg

29308443847_a970268a79_b.jpg

29308443257_eabb1f833e_b.jpg

43338305425_247dbf2c93_b.jpg

43338304855_34443bbec3_b.jpg

43338304065_62800a91be_b.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jamesp2812 said:

Never knew that. If I am ever up that way will have to take a look. Looks very picturesque.

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

It is rather nice actually, there's several smaller falls along the same road too, between these falls and the Moorcock Inn.

Where abouts are you from?