• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Baja brushless conversion

Madmini

IMO a Shorty isn't quite a fun, they handle too well.

A lot better than a full sized one, depending on how short it is, I'm basing my opinion from the 'normal' chop length because I used a pre-cut chassis.

But it was definitely a different experience.

For a 2 stroke, it also provided a good way to lose a decent amount of weight from the battery as well plus the weight loss from the chop itself and other various things, if memory serves me I shaved about 1.5kg off mine which isn't bad.

I can't help but think a BL shorty even on 6s wouldn't keep it's front wheels down though.

well i had my first proper bash with it yesterday... 

8s is far to much for bashing. the thing just torque steers as soon as you get to 10% throttle. so if i lower the cell count that should calm it down for bashing. 

or well thats what i figured.. gonna go to 6s rather than 8s

now as it stands my lipos can provide a constant of 225a 

if i lower my cell count i need to up my c rating to compensate of the drop in A ? so that i can still supply a min constant of 200a that the esc is rated for?

any thoughts?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I have the exact same conversion i am currently running turnigy 4s nano tech lipos in series 5000mah 45c and give a good punch and lots of wheelies good value for money

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

How much run time you get?

Is it the same power & as fun un as when running on petrol?

I have had a carson 1/5 petrol and an mcd petrol and compared to those i prefer the brushless setup power is instant and insane. One thing you may want to look into is tyres mine is a KM baja and has eaten the rear tyres, tore them apart in 15 min session i get around 15-25 mins run time depending on how hard i run it i payed £37 quid for the nano techs from hobby king and so far really happy with them.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

25 mins from 5000mah?? Must be driving it like a crawler.... :P Is that stock gearing? Chuck 17/57, drop to 7s on and see what that does for the grin factor :lol:

Hostile nightmares, belted, with zero growth or belted foams, maximum grip, minimum wear. Pair with mini mx's up front for a good look :good:

Running 8000mah 7s, I can stretch to 25 mins with luck and a tail wind, that said, I don't hang about....my wife can easily see 30mins from the same set up, but she is not hard on the throttle.

20 mins is the goal. Or you cannot be a member of the '20 minuters' and get your free, tea cosy and towel :lol:

I have had no trouble messing about with the setup of the esc using the toro beast software on a windows machine... Doesn't work from a windows VM on my mac tho which is a pain