• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Advice please on 'vintage RC equipment'

whele

Clearing out my garage I have come across my RC equipment last raced in 2001.  

There is an Associated RC10 B3 buggy Team Edition purchased new in 1997, I plugged in a pack and put batteries in the radio and away it went around the garden like old times.  It has stock and modified spare motors, batteries (that actually still work very well), load of spares including 2 custom paint body shells and 12 sets of wheels with a good selection of quality tyres, still apparently well glued.  Its all been stored in sealed bags inside wooden boxes, so it does not appear to have deteriorated during the storage time.. In the second box I found my Associated Team TC3 car purchased in 1998, again with the addition of a charged pack it runs well. For this there are bags of upgrade parts and 3 bodies, 3 different motors and 3 battery packs, in another box I found 10 sets of wheels all with tyres, including carpet tyres, slicks and cut slicks.  I also discovered a TC3 rally 200mm conversion kit (still boxed) which I think was only installed twice for a couple of special rally races I took part in 2000. Again lots of chargers, dischargers and a mint Reedy motor lathe complete with a jar of spare brushes and springs of different types. I even found a folder with the manuals and set-up sheets for all the old circuits I drove (sadly it seems only North London has survived).

Now when I search eBay I cant see much of this stuff for sale as complete cars, just some individual parts available from the US, I am guessing brushless motors and newer models have made this stuff obsolete,  are they no longer competitive? Is there no market old race equipment?  It seems a shame to take it all to the recycle centre or is it worth breaking the models for spares?

Your advice would be appreciated.

Edited by whele

• 3 weeks later...

There's nothing wrong with vintage rc's, I've got 2 old yokomo touring cars from about 2000 and they're stupidly fast and handle great, if you can still find parts or you have spares anyway then resurrect them and put them to good use rather than bin them...

• 1 month later...